2. Controlled 10:32

3. Chaos 7:02

4. Saikol 9:18

5. Mystic Change 7:53

6. Vocal Distortion 9:17

7. Bali 9:57

8. Transfusion 9:06

9. Insidelamp 8:51

The first time I became aware of Artha's music was a download from some site (don't remember which) where his tracks were given for free. Astral Body, Mahabharta, and Faith struck me immediately as intense, passionate, and superbly melodic goa trance stormers. They were everything I was looking for in this fabulous music. Michal Baczek from Poland had me hooked and I began keeping a keen eye out for more releases. When word of his debut came about, I cannot think of a more anticipated album, at least in my case. It was released in April, now 8 months gone and I am ready to review it. This thread has called it such things as amazing, a masterpiece, a Hallucinogen clone...very high praise to be sure. The first thing to discuss is possibly an area of contention...what the hell is up with that cover? Colors, yeah I like 'em, but a hairy cro-magnon with lots of eyes on his head? Not so sure, but that is a minor nitpick at best.

Dubber Nubber- With a massive opening the beat kicks in with some bouncy bass and rhythmic percussion. Chopped up chants perpetuate the tribal feel as leads ramble on. Not your 4 on the floor stomper but a good intro track to give you a glimpse of his ideas for goa trance.

Controlled Live Version- Synths scrape and claw as a bassline ushers in a subversive filtered lead. With the effects and guttural goa melodies the track comes across as very psychedelic. The break seems to borrow a little inspiration from Infected Mushroom creating a warm beach stroll. But lest you think it will fade into the sunshine it storms back for one final assault. With subsequent listens the details really jump out. Super track!

Chaos- He uses more percussion here and it blends well with a peak a boo goa lead and a driving bass line. It's powerful and laden with outer space atmosphere as a heavily modulated synth screams. The break is gated and before long it picks up intensity again. But instead of riding it to the finish, he introduces a new lead and it goes in another direction. Aggressive, abrasive, but very good.

Saikol- "Doc says half of these are anti-psychotics. Well...I don't know that much about medicine, but it occurs to me that if a man is taking anti-psychotics it might be because he has a tendency to become..well, psychotic."

What a great sample! You can feel this track building as more synths get added to the mix over a melodic voice. But again instead of launching right into what is expected, he switches gears and changes the focus. It's like sleight of hand. So instead of a stormer, this track simmers, bubbling along with good pace. It's nice, but I felt it could've been so much more if the ideas were extrapolated a bit.

Mystic Change- Hear that growling 303? That is what I was expecting. Old school all the way with floating melodies that soar into the sun. That bubbling is delicious to the ears. More melodies jump in and this could've been done by Transwave. I'm guessing he put this here just to show that he could still blow the doors off. My favorite track easily!

Vocal Distortion- Very tribal beginning with modulated synthesis and a melancholy pad. There are several stabs and a crawling progression to the track as another lead gurgles the melody. Add another hard lead that dominates the proceedings, but my favorite part is the break. It slowly increases in intensity as the lead meanders its course amidst stabs and another lead. He has a talent for track building that is evident.

Bali- At 2 minutes the melodies start to pile on until the break reorganizes things. I liked the popcorn sounding melody after the break, very forlorn and not overbearing. It is intense and twisted, growing in intensity. Psychedelic to the core. Not a crushing track but still a good one.

Transfusion- Nice evil sounding effects with a rumbling bassline join forces with a cat quick lead. Groovy. Synths unravel, bass sounds thump, and the melodies carry me away. Even the break has a funky samba quality in it that is all to short. Pretty good track.

Insidelamp- Soft twinkles speak of the mystic as the beat drives on. The tempo is slower but the groove is deeper. Chopped up chants echo to a break with a juicy bass and warm pads. Modulated lead wavers as more synths bubble patiently underneath. The melodies that fight it out at the end had my head bouncing. This was a great ending to this album, very spiritual as the sun sets.

As others have said this is not your everyday new school release. Michal takes goa trance in a different direction, one that is full of surprises with unique melodies and track structure. I would say this is the definition of psychedelic goa trance. With some tracks he showcases the power (Mystic Change) and others he takes goa to places where maybe it hasn't been. I will say there isn't a bad track on this album, but at the same time, I don't feel there are many tracks that will stick with me for the long term. I like that he did something different and didn't make a cookie-cutter goa trance album, but I do miss more storming offerings. You can hear the similarities to Hallucinogen, but he still has his own style. While not my favorite goa trance album, he does have something to offer and this was a great listen. Recommended for those that want a break from the every day.

Mdk

• 2 years later...

3463nvc.jpg

My View:
As some reviews already stated, the music here is something different than most neogoa creations. In some extend, yes, indeed, similarities can be found with X-Dream and Hallucinogen, together with some full-on influences.
But the result mostly isn't as it would be expected, that is outstanding, because the music here is loaded with a general theme, found in most tracks, which doesn't distant too much from neogoa's improper orientalism or sweetness, even if it manages to avoid the well known floating plasticity.

From the one hand, the negative point is the use of melodies or sounds that would fit better to an easy type of oriental music but not goa trance. With the use of such, the music lacks in seriousness, the whole effort is overshadowed.

Although, it may be opposed that the result is blasting and with powerful flaw, from the other hand, i think, it might be this certain too strong or flat production or a flat mastering that makes it sound full-on'ish and restrained in space and depth. Make a comparison for example with the older version of the "Controlled" track or the Lone Deranger sound.

None the less, the bassline drives and the groove of the tracks is generally very good and well-tied, sometimes even storming. Good ideas can be found as well as nostalgic melodies. The compositions have potential. If i can state a track here, this is Mystic Change. If another perspective had been followed, the final result might be undoubtedly classic. And judging by some old works of the compositor, there is great potential and creativity for sure. I amazed by his old promo tracks (who cares about polished productions) and liked his Fluori Dolby EP, focusing in tracks Signs and DNA.

The cover art looks very nice and well made, with great colours, but i don't like the portrayed face.

• 3 weeks later...

Really I think the only problem this album ended up having was the tracks selected for the EP were better than several here. I rather have those Classics like DNA and Astral Body here than there. Especially DNA, what was the thought-process of not involving the BIGGEST Artha track ever in the main album? A little iffy, I must say.

• 5 months later...

Just my two cents ;).

Saying this album is too 'Hallucinogen-ish' (+ similar comments) and portraying it as sth bad sounds strange, especially when most of albums picked as 'best of' during last years are stricly from Pleiadians, Astral Projection or MFG's stable. I guess going down megamultilayered melodic goa nostalgia lane is still pretty strong in some of psytrancers (nothing bad about it, I'm one of them from time to time :) ).

As for the album - gread addition to less 'obvious' face of psytrance.

• 11 months later...

Artist: Artha

Release: Influencing Dreams

Year: 2010

Label: Cronomi Records

Cat-#: cronomi003cd

Rating: 3.5/5.0

Tracklisting:

1) Dubber Nubber

2) Controlled

3) Chaos

4) Saikol

5) Mystic Change

6) Vocal Distortion

7) Bali

8) Transfusion

9) Insidelamp

This is really very nicely done, the flirts with Posfordianesque vibes isn't necessarily a bad thing. Though relying on it too heavily in your own productions highlights a certain problem. Which is that it is certainly good to be inspired to create but it's not optimal to have the inspiration create things for you.

The track Controlled is genuinely very very good and the highlight of the CD. Ticking in at 10+ minutes it's a very epic outdoor festival kind of track with a curious breakdown somewhere in the latter half (or rather it felt more like he got a surprise visit from Grand Wizard Simon himself and lent him the controls for a minute and a half. Hey! hey! not bad at all). Dubber Nubber is very nicely done, and it punches through even though it has such a slow tempo. Also Bali punches through as a nicely flowing track. Of course, it's very nice to hear him utilize the acid layers in such an emphatic manner and it is this that particularly reigns me in.

Unfortunately most tracks falls short, mainly due to me getting the impression that the tracks doesn't deliver all that they've got, the potential is very much there but isn't taken care of. Playing it on the safe side so to speak, lacking funk, flow, structure and, most importantly, a general sense of... well... FUN!

Remember to get the free Fluori Dolby EP too. Arguably some of the punchiest tracks were kindly donated as a promotional release earlier that year so they didn't end up on the album. If you feel the album didn't deliver completely, try considering it as a bundle deal with the free extras and maybe you'll feel a bit better. :)

Remember to get the free Fluori Dolby EP too. Arguably some of the punchiest tracks were kindly donated as a promotional release earlier that year so they didn't end up on the album. If you feel the album didn't deliver completely, try considering it as a bundle deal with the free extras and maybe you'll feel a bit better. :)

^^ This.

Fluoro Dolby is actually the superior release of his to my ears. Shorter track list not withstanding of course.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Still such a fun , happy album to listen to! These melodies never seem to get old :)

I just can't get enough of Vocal Distortion! :) That tune 6"

And Insidelamp :) and chaos! Damn. I'll have to mention the whole album. Nothing better than Controlled Live! :D

This album has been a great companion for the past couple of years. Hoping it'll be the same for many many more years to come.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of the BEST album that was released during last several years!

Busy on track list for 2nd Artha album :)

+ also nice to see that even 5 years after its release, even new reviews come in, stating this music isn't getting them bored: that's what our aim is: durable music. THX for welcome feedback guys!

Busy on track list for 2nd Artha album :)

+ also nice to see that even 5 years after its release, even new reviews come in, stating this music isn't getting them bored: that's what our aim is: durable music. THX for welcome feedback guys!

Yes!! Now this good news..

<3 Cronomi Records. What an amazing news :) thanks!

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/4/2018 at 4:00 PM, Manuser said:

Aged very well! Essential album of this decade.

And we love to do some more (hopefully) :)

Thanks, it makes us and the artist happy that even after so many years it is still standing: means a lot (quality wise). :wub:...and that is what we still keep aiming for @ cronomi :excl:: albums that can last the time!