What books are you reading now?

Anoebis

Clive Barker - Imajica

Read this over the last week and a half (all 800+ pages, jeez) Not a big fan of fantasy but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Psychedelia, theology, light amounts of science fiction and a bit of horror.

One of my favorite books!

I just started Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card. It takes place between the first two Ender books. Pretty good so far, unlike the prequel books which are mostly written by some other dude from Card's ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

You should try some true modern sci-fi then http://www.psynews.org/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif

Peter F. Hamilton for example... great writer, but huge books, but some great space opera

Hi Dros,

Sorry for replying to something that probably predates us actually meeting.

I do actually love some space opera and I read a hell of a lot of shitty sci-fi but this guy is the worst writer ever.

• 3 years later...

The Iliad. :wub: The first book I'm reading in the app Nextory, and I must say it's extremely practical, my eyes get so tired quickly while reading non-digital books. And the constant adjusting of the books distance and angle to the eyes, is tiresome as well. All of that is a non-issue with these wonderful apps. The joy of backlit phone displays and pinchable zoom!

And also the ability to search within the book and bookmark multiple pages, makes it a true breeze to organize the reading properly. It's the Canterbury Classics english edition which includes The Odyssey as well, and is brilliantly translated by Samuel Butler.

The only cons so far with this app, is that the available selection of books is limited to books with text only. Kind of a logical choice since most of them are available as audio and textbook in the app. So if one needs books for school, which often have lots of photos/pictures as well. Then other stores/formats is recommended. Which is a bit sad, because I really enjoy reading books about ancient Greece, ancient Egypt and ancient Rome. Anyone who can recommend a good service with that type of facts oriented literature on?

Of to Ilion I go! 

I recently delved back into an old favorite: the Dragonlance series.

It’s based on a D&D campaign from the 80’s and was more or less the first fantasy books I read. It’s not as sophisticated or immersive as more recent fantasy series but it’s been fun revisiting those characters.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my first Ursula Le Guin Book - The Left Hand of Darkness. Was trying to find The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas but couldn't find it so got this bad boy instead.

Pretty good fantasy world has been painted so far.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 6:55 PM, Wabax said:

Sounds good. Which one?

Anton Wilson = The New Prometheus

Dodson = basically everything...he releases all of his books in german first (good friend of the Bohmeier Label) so i dont know wich ones are avalible in english.  

• 6 months later...

Reading Mona Lisa Overdrive have read Count Zero last will be Neuromancer in between have read enough books, this way works for me shaping the idea along with Movies - illustrations - videogames - own intuition and of course Music (Youth's album title rings the bell??!) Focusing Sci-fi this time

Asimov- Robots of Dawn, Spinrad- Agents of Chaos, Besher- Rim, Tom Clancys- Net force and Net force breaking point (almost irrelevant both), Thanasis Vempos- Five cracks on the Grid, A Clarke- Profiles of the future, Alfred Bester- Tiger tiger, Murdoch- Rise of the Robots and Williamson- Hell Cyberpunk thriller (both videogame novelizations), S Baxter- Ring, Orwell- 1984, going to read Bernard Lenteric- L'Ange Gabriel, Do Androids Dream, probably few others mentioned in this thread jii.png.251ec0df3ca17b8549754aba3f5653cd.png 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...