YSE - Yellow Sunshine Explosion

Goa-Head

Ok, we all know about this label but no-one talks about it. No-one reviews CD's about this label despite they released.....read.....

In 7 full years this label has released 200 CDs, two hundred yeah right. This means that it has released an average of 28 CD's each year, which means at least 1 CD every 2 weeks.

How is that feasable ? How it is generating so much revenue ? Does it really sell so much ? Are those 'GOA' titles on every release really the ultimate market trick to (if ever) sell so much ? Who's behind this label ? Are there any artists reading this having contracts with them ?

Please talk about it. It looks there's something huge we must crack here

Perhaps we sometimes forget that those of us who are informed about the music (and posting here) are in the minority... this year I've had many opportunities to speak to "regular party people" in the course of hawking CDs and flyering for Ektoplazm. I have found, much to my surprise, that however serious partiers might seem to be (i.e. you might have seen these people around for years, at just about every party), few are well-informed about the music. Many don't know what the different styles are, few know more than a handful of producers such as Shpongle and Infected Mushroom, and as near as I can tell many simply rely on local DJs and promoters to be their "gatekeepers of taste." For all of these reasons, YSE's use of "Goa" as a marketing term makes sense--and evidently it works, for they would have ceased using it long ago if it weren't an effective strategy. Put another way: the benefit of having such straight-forward naming conventions for their many compilations is greater than the discontent infrequently expressed by a relatively small sub-segment of hardcore psytrance fans.

Another way of looking at it: Goa is a place. "Goa trance" is what you hear in that place. So while we might refer to only a particular style or period of history as having legitimate claim to the term, it more accurately refers to what you will hear if you went to Goa today. And what you hear, like it or not, is unlikely to be what we here on Psynews refer to as "Goa."

It's like they have a music software that generates tracks with a click of a button lol

The majority of their releases are just tracks licensed from othr labels although they have some of their own artists as well. In my experience depending on what you are doing they can be a bit of a pain to work with at times and I've been trying to get the rights cleared for a remix I did of one of their artists for nearly two years now. That said the artists I know who are on the label do get their money and such (although I've heard complaints that the process for artists getting money for comp releases is sometimes confusing to a few... I don't have any first hand experience on that front though).

Perhaps we sometimes forget that those of us who are informed about the music (and posting here) are in the minority... this year I've had many opportunities to speak to "regular party people" in the course of hawking CDs and flyering for Ektoplazm. I have found, much to my surprise, that however serious partiers might seem to be (i.e. you might have seen these people around for years, at just about every party), few are well-informed about the music. Many don't know what the different styles are, few know more than a handful of producers such as Shpongle and Infected Mushroom, and as near as I can tell many simply rely on local DJs and promoters to be their "gatekeepers of taste." For all of these reasons, YSE's use of "Goa" as a marketing term makes sense--and evidently it works, for they would have ceased using it long ago if it weren't an effective strategy. Put another way: the benefit of having such straight-forward naming conventions for their many compilations is greater than the discontent infrequently expressed by a relatively small sub-segment of hardcore psytrance fans.

Another way of looking at it: Goa is a place. "Goa trance" is what you hear in that place. So while we might refer to only a particular style or period of history as having legitimate claim to the term, it more accurately refers to what you will hear if you went to Goa today. And what you hear, like it or not, is unlikely to be what we here on Psynews refer to as "Goa."

So you think that it's success and ability to release a CD aevery fortnight is the word GOA in almost all titles ?

So you think that it's success and ability to release a CD aevery fortnight is the word GOA in almost all titles ?

Coupled with massive distribution to many "mainstream" music chain stores where they won't have as much competition with other "psy" releases that are stuck in the usual distribution channels and don't have a prayer of getting into major shops on a regular basis.

On the goa note, it's funny the only (I have seen by random clicking) release they have that actually include goa-trance is not called "somthingsomething goa" but Psi-Trance Explosion :lol:

but I guess this were their third release so maybe they didn't think of the branding scheme as Basilisk described it :drama:

I have found, much to my surprise, that however serious partiers might seem to be (i.e. you might have seen these people around for years, at just about every party), few are well-informed about the music. Many don't know what the different styles are, few know more than a handful of producers such as Shpongle and Infected Mushroom, and as near as I can tell many simply rely on local DJs and promoters to be their "gatekeepers of taste."

yep, that pretty much shows how many people go to parties for the music and how many just consider it a background for taking drugs... I have some friends who would never dream of listening to psy at home but see it as the ultimate music to listen to when high. It is sad IMO...

yep, that pretty much shows how many people go to parties for the music and how many just consider it a background for taking drugs... I have some friends who would never dream of listening to psy at home but see it as the ultimate music to listen to when high. It is sad IMO...

+1

Sad and stupid.

this is so damn true...

very few people actually know about the music ... most talks on parties about this subject are rather shallow...

And YSE is a quite commersial psytrance label ... their stuff is sold at local big electronic markets here (WalMart-style) ... this accessibility might be one of the secrets why they sell so much that they can afford to push out 200+ releases...

actually this gives me an idea: why don't newschool labels specifically mention "Goa" on their covers?? After all, they are much closer to the goatrance sound than the YSE stuff.

In good old times, even if the release didn't have 'goa' in the title, there sure was a big sticker with 'goa-trance' on it to distinguish from other CDs. Maybe that's the way to go (again)?

The breakeven point for these releases is quite low. They don't have to pay much for the licenses so they don't have much cost. And with wide distribution indeed it is easier to reach the breakeven point.

Most likely they ll also have a good deal with the printing factory.

These cd's never interested me much. But for others to get to know the genre it can be quite nice. The first cd in the right direction that i ever bought was a compilation with tracks released elsewhere. Back in 97 i think

a very sad truth indeed and perhaps thé burden for goa(trance)/psy to overcome if it were to be taken "seriously"....it is a sad fact that goa(trance)/psy and drugs are always linked...as if it were a symbiosis....at least in Belgium this is very much the case...as if people can't enjoy this music without taking drugs...

on the other hand, if those dopies should buy more psy and support our beloved artists, we should perhaps encourage their domestic drug (ab)use more..... :lol: ....(this is cynical humor of course)

but the point is that this kind of music is generally ALWAYS connected with drugs in the minds of "outsiders" and that's a damn shame..... :(

sorry if this is a bit of topic....but I needed to get this of my chest....

i think the one that comes first is the fashion factor.

true, many of the people found in a party/event, most likely in a club, are there because of the hype “something cool is going on there and we have to show ourtrendyselves” and the music is sonorous with smashing beats. or it is maybe for some the usual club/barfly habit.

others sympathize the music and/or just want to have a good time and nothing more, and nothing bad about it.

but i know persons who listened or listen to psytrance on a frequent basis but randomly, know a few things about the scene but by the incidental contact they had due to the general lifestyle which is the centre of their interest, like to wear ‘rave’ clothes, the image and be ‘part’ of events.

but most of them don’t really care to support releases… rarely i guess.

Funny i just bought one of their cds a week ago of artist named Atma -The Secrets of Meditation its a full on album a nice one

nothing great nice melodies some a little cheezy but not a boring album plays a bit like u-recken with those same piano melodies nd to be fair the quailty of music was not bad from YSE......

Booooooooooooom..... Shankar.......

Indeed... maybe the reason most parties where I live suck, not enough people caring for the music, only the drugs :(

+1

And the funny thing is that they think they are totally into PSYtrance when they jump around to growling machines, and still listens to astrix-fire and stuff like that :lol: I remember the concept and koxbox concert last year, people were complaining about the music being to "hard" and "wierd" WTF? It's just koxbox, they talk about it like it was Furious or Penta or something

I don't mind the drugs though :P

Goa Vol. 29

The worldwide NO.1 Goa Trance Compilation

GOA Vol. 29, do we need to say more? Astronomical sales figures and back stock still in re-press, we won't stop! This is the world's leading Goa Compilation series and no wonder we made it to its 29th edition.

On top you'll get 3 unreleased tracks by the marvellous Moontales and Delicious, the amazing Display and the incredible Synthax!

Psyshop's promotion for this series is always identical! What changes is of course the volume number and the details about the unreleased tracks.

And that's CD 198 !

Goa Vol. 29

The worldwide NO.1 Goa Trance Compilation

GOA Vol. 29, do we need to say more? Astronomical sales figures and back stock still in re-press, we won't stop! This is the world's leading Goa Compilation series and no wonder we made it to its 29th edition.

On top you'll get 3 unreleased tracks by the marvellous Moontales and Delicious, the amazing Display and the incredible Synthax!

Psyshop's promotion for this series is always identical! What changes is of course the volume number and the details about the unreleased tracks.

And that's CD 198 !

Soon available in the big electronic markets around here.

Bought by goa fraggles who casually listen to the music and don't really care and just want to know what's "hot" (according to YSE). Precisely the kind of people we'll only rarely see around these forums, but which make out roughly 75 percent of our scene...

Every YSE compilation features already released tracks (there are exceptions, of course). Also they've released few pretty nice albums, but in general they compile VA's with "hits" for the wide audience and it doesn't appeal to me at all.