How many hours of music

RTP

How many hours  

73 members have voted

1. 1. How many hours of music do you listen to everyday average?

• 1 or less
    • 1 to 2.99
    • 3 to 4.99
    • 5 to 6.99
    • 7 to 8.99
    • 9 to 10.99
    • 11 to 12.99
    • 13 and more

I think I would go crazy if I didn't. I remember when I was younger & I was introduced to the term "silence is deafening". The music suddenly stopped & there were no sounds coming from outside. The roar in my head was tremendous I thought it was going to explode.

I don't think I could go on holiday without music. Wherever I go I take both music & speakers & headphones :drama:

I actually make it a point to go on vacation without music so that I can get some perspective on it. It can get painful, but it's sooooooo nice coming back to it, like it's the first time you've heard it. Everything's just so much more dynamic, and you feel the buzz and click of it. "Oh yeah! That's why I like this music."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually make it a point to go on vacation without music so that I can get some perspective on it. It can get painful, but it's sooooooo nice coming back to it, like it's the first time you've heard it. Everything's just so much more dynamic, and you feel the buzz and click of it. "Oh yeah! That's why I like this music."

i know what you are talking about. i went to a week and half vacation without music once, and listening to music after that gap was pure bliss...

Less then one hour :blink: ? How could you even do that? I mainly listen to albums/mixes!

well, My i don't have to buy a lot of music when i listen to it so sparsely, i do listen to music less than an hour a day on average, but some days i listen to more, mostly when people have made those long mixes.. (abasio you're to blame)

I think i need some peace and quiet some times, my day is filled with noise and i get head aches if i i don't have some peace of mind.

and i usually have that School / Homework thing going on, and i need to concentrate, can't concentrate with music around me.

Ha, that's exactly the way I do it aswell! I purposefully leave my Minidisc or MP3 player at home and go on holiday with nothing but my head!

And getting out of the rhythms I hear every day is like opening windows in my head ... thoughts flow a bit differently. And while it mostly gets a little kranky after some days, there's usually the point after which it doesn't matter that much anymore. That's the thing I am after, for only then the windows are really open and I get some different air into my head. Because on holiday it has to be different than at home, I don't have to be on holiday just physically, but also mentally!

And coming back is always very sweet, it's almost like rediscovering all the sounds :D

already 5 people with over 13 hours ... you must be insane, guys :o

I'm glad to be still in the average :)

• 2 weeks later...

what's insane about that?

24 hours -8 hours of sleeping -2 hours of cooking and eating makes 14 hours of music whenever i have the time. obviously less when university starts again.

i become insane when i cannot listen to good music for a day. i guess you could call me an addict ;)

I'm glad to be still in the average :)

I don't see anything insane about it. Why not have good music playing? For me, it's mostly on headphones. I rarely use my speakers to play music anymore. It just doesn't sound as good to me for some reason. Maybe it's because I have average speakers. I don't know. Either way, music is always on (well, most of the time).

Sometimes or very often I listen to Goa/Psychedelic music the whole day. Even at work. :) I listen to music on my digital audio player by the street, in the bus, everywhere I'm alone.

I don't have any portable player or hi-fi, just my computer. I don't like listening to music while traveling or working. So a few hours ( like 2-3 ) a day when I'm at home, on my bed or on a sofa doing mindless things like surfing the web, smoking, chilling with some friends... But it's mainly Psytrance (cutoff with some Jazz or highly repetitive minimal techno when anti-psytrance friends are at home).

I have another question, if you listen to music in your room and you need to leave the room for a couple of seconds to grab some food, go to the toilett, whatever, do you pause the music?

• 10 months later...

Probably around 3-5 hours a day. That will increase a little in the near future when I finally get my own place again.

Taking breaks not listening to anything is fantastic for the ear. I wish I'd force myself to do it more often. It's also the same for food. Giving the digestive system a break is really good for health.

Anyway, I've done about 6-7 totally silent meditation retreats in my life that have spanned from between a week to month long periods and one thing I always really notice and look forward to once I come back out again is how lovely music sounds after a break(and especially coupled with 10-12 hours meditation a day). The very first album of choice is always real dilemma. :P