Let's talk about Downloading and piracy

Ormion

I don't understand what you are talking about and where this comment is coming from. You completely missed my point.

if you want to be a wise guy, please pick someone else.

" :lol::P"

oh, the wise guy aka ace insult, I have not heard that one since cinos :lol: anyways, you know I am right, and you know exactly why I commented like I did. :) (aka daniel vs nemo and the rest that believes in something that is not normal) :D

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also agree with mars 101 %.

I download, I buy, I don't feel guilty about anything as long as good music is being played and acknowledged about.

Keeping up the spirit alive is what only counts. Rino also had good points.

I don't understand what you are talking about and where this comment is coming from. You completely missed my point.

if you want to be a wise guy, please pick someone else.

" :lol::P "

What he meant is, that within 10 years there will be no more CDs releases, because we, the people who need them, are in minority and it is the masses that dictate the rules.

I don't subscribe to that point of view, though. I hope, that as long as they (the labels, artists etc.) will be able to make additional profit on physical media, the discs will be available. Maybe in lot lower quantities, maybe not in regular stores (BTW, what will happen to the music stores?!) and probably more expensive. But I'm sure they'll be there.

I don't get the 'sheep' part though. :)

oh, the wise guy aka ace insult, I have not heard that one since cinos :lol: anyways, you know I am right, and you know exactly why I commented like I did. :) (aka daniel vs nemo and the rest that believes in something that is not normal) :D

grow up! please. :blink:

to me it sounds like this:

lalala i'm right, you're wrong, hihihi, you're a sheep, i'm cool, hihihi you are like cinos hihihihihi

wtf? :unsure:

you have a personal distaste against me?

Cause that's what these posts are telling me.

So yeah i know why you commented.

What he meant is, that within 10 years there will be no more CDs releases, because we, the people who need them, are in minority and it is the masses that dictate the rules.

I don't subscribe to that point of view, though. I hope, that as long as they (the labels, artists etc.) will be able to make additional profit on physical media, the discs will be available. Maybe in lot lower quantities, maybe not in regular stores (BTW, what will happen to the music stores?!) and probably more expensive. But I'm sure they'll be there.

I don't get the 'sheep' part though. :)

grow up! please. :blink:

to me it sounds like this:

wtf? :unsure:

you have a personal distaste against me?

Cause that's what these posts are telling me.

So yeah i know why you commented.

@ Antic, yes. See below.

@ Daniel, its no news to you that I dont agree with your on most of your views, is it? I dont have anything personally against you though (I disagree with a lot of my friends, but we still get along..), but I still have the right to voice when I dont agree with what you say. Your holy cheese comment, comon, do you really live in the past? Grow up?! Listen, Just cause I dont agree with you does not mean that I am some child, maybe you should think about that? :D

Anyways, there WILL BE NO cds in 10 years. There will be BlueRay or there will be something ELSE that the big companies come up with. I am just not willing to pay for that format anymore. I rather download my stuff, store it on MY PREFERRED media, rather than follow the flow and bow down to the media corporate whores. I never liked CD's anyways. :) And you know why?! Its a media that costs even LESS than printing a vinyl album, but it costs you double the price to buy... BAAAEEEHHHH BAAAEEEEHHHH :lol:

Anyways, there WILL BE NO cds in 10 years. There will be BlueRay or there will be something ELSE that the big companies come up with. I am just not willing to pay for that format anymore. I rather download my stuff, store it on MY PREFERRED media, rather than follow the flow and bow down to the media corporate whores. I never liked CD's anyways. :) And you know why?! Its a media that costs even LESS than printing a vinyl album, but it costs you double the price to buy... BAAAEEEHHHH BAAAEEEEHHHH :lol:

i'll bet you for a 1000 euro that there will still be CD's in stores in 2018.

You want to take it?

And to add, if ,on 1/1/18, i cannot find any CD's (new releases) i will dress up like a sheep and scream beah beah on the streets for 4 hours.

but if on 1/1/18 i do find CD's, you will have to get a temporary tatoo (about 1 month) " PWNED by Daniël on 1/1/18" on your forehead.

that's a serious offer...

also debatable if you want changes

:)

1. Do you download music from the web? Any kind of music. How much? How often?

From the web, or from the p2p and alike shit ?

From web no, from p2p yea...kind of. It depends how much. Usualy its around 50-70gb/month

How often ? Every day :)

2. Do you download specifically Psytrance releases?

Yea

3. Do you think that downloading (and any other forms of piracy) really hurt the music industry?

No

4. Do you think that downloading (and any other forms of piracy) really hurt the Psytrance industry?

No, it's good for promotion.

5. Would you like a world that every new album/comp would be released only in the web?

No, no, no!!!!

Cd forever :)

You want to take it?

And to add, if ,on 1/1/18, i cannot find any CD's (new releases) i will dress up like a sheep and scream beah beah on the streets for 4 hours.

but if on 1/1/18 i do find CD's, you will have to get a temporary tatoo (about 1 month) " PWNED by Daniël on 1/1/18" on your forehead.

:lol:

Man I'd love to see either of you loose, the sheep thing seems most fun though..

You want to take it?

Lets change the criteria. I bet you there will be some other media that will have taken over CD's and CD's will be in the same area of the shops where the Vinyls are right now ;)

Lets change the criteria. I bet you there will be some other media that will have taken over CD's and CD's will be in the same area of the shops where the Vinyls are right now ;)

deal! we have a bet? allright! it's on baby, it's ON!

I think CD's will still be available as main product. There is no need to replace it cause it's perfect in memory size for music albums and backwards compatible with any CD/DVD/HDDVD/blu-ray/new format reader.

mp3 will never kill CD's, it's compressed and easier to loose and can only be played on players that hold the codecs, a CD is universal.

You prefer a tribal tattoo or just plain text? any specific font you prefer?

see you on 1/1/18!

1. Do you download music from the web? Any kind of music. How much? How often?

These days I don't download much. I used to though. But these days I have enough on my hands with school, work, doing my own music while trying to have a social life. If I download stuff now it's usually some stuff I've been recommended. I'm also a fan of downloading sets, either dj sets or live sets.

2. Do you download specifically Psytrance releases?

No.

3. Do you think that downloading (and any other forms of piracy) really hurt the music industry?

Yes.

4. Do you think that downloading (and any other forms of piracy) really hurt the Psytrance industry?

Both yes and no. It hurt the people who started releasing music after "the old model", but at the same time it opened the eyes for thousands of people downloading stuff, thus discovering a new genre and new artists.

5. Would you like a world that every new album/comp would be released only in the web?

Nein.

It's interesting to see my album has sold around 300 copies, while a live set I put online a few months ago has gotten well over 6000 downloads...

It's interesting to see my album has sold around 300 copies, while a live set I put online a few months ago has gotten well over 6000 downloads...

Psy albums don't sell more than that :o ???? I'm shocked

Do you earn good money on performing live and stuff then?

Most of my gigs have been free. Gotten paid for some, but seldom more than 100 €. With the current price level in Norway compared to the rest of Europe ... well, you do the math :)

But I'm not complaining about the money, I started making music when I was 12 years old for fun. That's how I intend to keep it. If I make a few euros here and there, that's great, but it's not why I do it. Of course, I got bills like everybody else. As mentioned earlier, I'm studying these days and working a part time job, so I don't get to do as much music as I'd like to do.

That i downloaded your album... FOR FREE! It was ment as a joke, sorry for my bad humor... It's just that you were the only artist on psynews i could think of at that moment...

hehe I know man, I was just playing with you with that excuse for a survival instinct we Brits call a sense of humour. :)

CD sales are at an all time low, even here in Japan which was always considered the last good market. At PAR-2 we have tried the "make the cds cheaper" model, we have tried the free full preview model. Here's the ugly truth for our last two releases.

Jikkenteki - The Long Walk Home (2006): Copies we have recieved money for to date 186 (currently about -$850)

VA - Mainspring Motion (2007): Copies we have received money for to date 32 (currently about -$1400) [we made this available as a full preview]

Since October the sale we did here last Oct. we have sold one copy of Mainspring on Discogs, one copy of Long Walk Home also on discogs and 11 copies of Mainspring at a release party in Japan last Nov.

So basically it seems that if you try to work outside of the established market, like we do, you don't have much of a prayer. And the established market isn't in much better shape either.

As for making money for playing live, I have only actually been paid to play live 3 times in my life. Each time I recieved $100 to $150. Each time getting to the venue cost me about $350. Artists in Europe seem to have a better chance at making some money live, but in general in Japan, the only artists who are making any money at all are the international guests who are flown in. Most likely all the local artists and djs are getting nothing unless they are very lucky.

When I first discovered Psytrance I was wholly unaware of downloading. I'm probably older than a lot of you guys (near 40!), so I thought this music was so underground that I had to buy my music in shops. Where else was I going to get it? Sam Goody doesn't do Psy. So I ended up buying everything from Saiko, Psyshop and Beatspace. I think I am well over the $9,000 mark by now. Then I discovered downloading and it seemed so easy. But nothing compares to having that piece of music in your hand. I can erase an mp3 file with the click of a mouse, but I have to physically destroy a CD or lose it.

I still download every now and then, and take advantage of the free "net releases", but I love having that CD in my hand.

Mdk