Neo Goa

Darkarbiter

I find the name Neo Goa ironic. Sure it's nice and it's Goa but most so called Neo Goa stuff I've heard ends up sounding like a cross between dimension 5, other goa with a little bit of modern psy elements. Perhaps there is some stuff that does actually sound like the older stuff that's being produced today.

But seriously what do you call stuff that sounds like this?

http://www.discogs.com/release/551261

It's quite distinctive from other stuff.

New School Goa?:rolleyes:

:lol:

Hey Kai-Q, how does it come you´re online, I always wanted to talk with you, you have an interesting nick.

I don´t like newschool goa alot, too because it aktually sounds the same, with almost arabian melodies and some voicesamples and synths mainly used by dimension 5, it´s not like the real stuff.

I think we have to define what is really new Goa and what Goa produced by new artists.

What I mean? Well for me Filteria's music is old school Goa. I don't use the term 'Old School' with a bad purpose, not at all!

I don't mean that Filteria is out-dated or something! After all I'm his biggest fan in the world! But Filteria's music really has this old school feeling and touch we used to love, back in the 94-98 period, this is why I call it Old School.

New Goa for me is the kind of Goa that actually took the old school sound and evolved it. There's a big discussion what is really new Goa out there.

For me the perfect example of new Goa is Pleiadians-Family Of Light (I mean the track, but the whole album is also new Goa).

Yes this album released back in 1999 but for me evolved the Goa sound in a very modern (even for today standards) way. I don't say is better than IFO, I'm just saying it was (and still is) new school Goa.

I think we have to define what is really new Goa and what Goa produced by new artists.

What I mean? Well for me Filteria's music is old school Goa. I don't use the term 'Old School' with a bad purpose, not at all!

I don't mean that Filteria is out-dated or something! After all I'm his biggest fan in the world! But Filteria's music really has this old school feeling and touch we used to love, back in the 94-98 period, this is why I call it Old School.

New Goa for me is the kind of Goa that actually took the old school sound and evolved it. There's a big discussion what is really new Goa out there.

For me the perfect example of new Goa is Pleiadians-Family Of Light (I mean the track, but the whole album is also new Goa).

Yes this album released back in 1999 but for me evolved the Goa sound in a very modern (even for today standards) way. I don't say is better than IFO, I'm just saying it was (and still is) new school Goa.

I agree fully!

Because of that I would like to say for me Khetzal and Ra is old school goa for sure, while Ka Sol and Goasia are more new school goa for me... It's like the next step in goa trance... Which is not good or bad, it's just goa in a new coat! :)

And both styles will be available in the future, I'm sure :) Afterall they are very close anyway :)

I find the name Neo Goa ironic. Sure it's nice and it's Goa but most so called Neo Goa stuff I've heard ends up sounding like a cross between dimension 5, other goa with a little bit of modern psy elements. Perhaps there is some stuff that does actually sound like the older stuff that's being produced today.

But seriously what do you call stuff that sounds like this?

http://www.discogs.com/release/551261

It's quite distinctive from other stuff.

I dont call anything "neo goa" this is just commercial trick of labels and wenshops.

Oh c'mon. There is no such a thing like neo-goa, newschool goa or anything like that.

Goatrance is the only inf the kind and it must sound very specific. Otherwise it's stop being "goa"

BTW is it just me or does it seem like Dimension 5's two albums and Pleidians IFO (and probably the other one which I haven't heard) seem to have kick started the newschool goa sound. Was just listening to Ghost on acids set again... (and was listening to vox's earlier) but it seems like so much of it is based on pleidians/dimension 5.

there are subgenres but the only neo I ever read was neo fullon,

that term didn't last a month,

there's nothing neo not goatrance or morning fullon,

there was a discussion about this 2 years agoo on isratrance...

there are subgenres but the only neo I ever read was neo fullon,

that term didn't last a month,

there's nothing neo not goatrance or morning fullon,

there was a discussion about this 2 years agoo on isratrance...

Neo Full On? Is that the melodic stuff? :unsure:

Nope! "Neo" full-on came around in about 2003 when a few labels decided to rebrand themselves and shy away from the GMS/Astrix crowd... the idea behind the neo style was to merge progressive sensibilities with the full-on drive. What resulted, more often than not, was a hodge-podge of droning beats with few melodic characteristics. I mean, they basically asked full-on artists to tone it down and the labels ended up with sterile remains that really, in my opinion, weren't interesting at all.

Neo Goa trance on the other hand is purely made up. New school Goa is the term you hear people toss around these days... and really, there's something to it. There was a period--sometime around when I released the CHI-A.D. vinyl on my label--where the situation seemed really dire. The uplifting spirit of the Goa trance era had been so quickly washed away by minimal and (later) full-on that many were left absolutely floored that this music they were so passionate about seemed to have vanished, virtually overnight. I mean, there was a time when albums like Electron Wave and Ra - To Sirius were just about the only new releases on the market. Obscure stuff like Poly 61 was hard to find (and even now, many have not discovered them). This all turned around through the sheer determination of a small number of people--many of whom include familiar faces like Filteria, Mars, Anoebis, etc. Suntrip really kick-started the genuine new school Goa movement if you ask me. And the spatio-temporal context of movements within psychedelic trance history is very important. New school Goa might not sound very different from the original mid-nineties material from which it was inspired, but that's often the point! We missed that music. This doesn't mean it is the same--you cannot (or would be foolish to) consider music without respect for where it came from and who was making it and when it was produced and then released. These are important matters--go beyond the mere sound of things and try to understand the historic context. New school Goa trance is a bona fide movement, make no mistake about it. At any rate, that's my impression of what's been going on.

We missed that music. This doesn't mean it is the same--you cannot (or would be foolish to) consider music without respect for where it came from and who was making it and when it was produced and then released. These are important matters--go beyond the mere sound of things and try to understand the historic context.

It seems like a lot of younger psyfreaks (especially those horror trance maniacs :) ) missed it ....

since my 1st album is ready for release (and it will be released soon) , im now working (and i have a track completed already) in a style on what you can call it "Neo Goa" or "Full on Goa" on which i got blended 2 genres , goa and fullon.

imo i would call it more of "Full on Goa" , im using the "Bassline" , some fullon buildups , kick (im not a big fan of full on kicks since they are overrated so im using a kindof goa one) , to pick up the groove and using the old skool elements of goa (and of course its the same pandemonium! style people are used to) , cant be more detailed than this since the only way to get the idea is thru a listening experience...

here it is an extract of my latest work , if you people are intersted and curious about it.

dont forget , this is all a matter of point of views and opinions.

Try it :

Pandemonium! - Miracle Jumpers (DEMO)

Yep, here is my list of good goa new school artist :

Avigmati

Azriel

Chi AD

Cosmis Silence

Cyberion

Ediya

E-Mantra

Filteria

Goasia

Goma

Jikooha

Khetzal

Laughting Buddha

Life Extension

Lost Buddha

Merrow

Mindsphere

Mungusid

Nolax

Oktokoppler

Omegahertz

Pralhab

Psynymph

Ra

Radical Distortion

Red Gravity

Sattle Battle

Sine Die

Sneila

Space Buddha

Subra

Synsun

Talpa

Tor-Ma

Trold

Vast

VOX

Yesod

Yspilon 5

If i would have heard this song without reading your personal view about it i would have classified it in melodic full on.

yes to me its acceptable too ,but in a way this is just psytrance to me :)

Yep, here is my list of good goa new school artist :

Avigmati

Azriel

Chi AD

Cosmis Silence

Cyberion

Ediya

E-Mantra

Filteria

Goasia

Goma

Jikooha