The Year Of...

Basilisk

As a little exercise, I wonder if we can name one top act for every year of trance... to use a couple of examples, 2004 was the year of FREq - with a debut album out, countless singles, and massive amounts of hype, it was definatly all about Aran in 2004. Likewise, I'd call 1995 the year of Hallucinogen - with the debut release of Twisted, and all the rest. How about the rest of these years? Do you see the concept? It is no more than a fun diversion; a way of examining trance history through a particular filter... what's your say? Maybe not an artist at all - perhaps a label, or style would work just as well... ;)

As a little exercise, I wonder if we can name one top act for every year of trance... to use a couple of examples, 2004 was the year of FREq - with a debut album out, countless singles, and massive amounts of hype, it was definatly all about Aran in 2004. Likewise, I'd call 1995 the year of Hallucinogen - with the debut release of Twisted, and all the rest. How about the rest of these years? Do you see the concept? It is no more than a fun diversion; a way of examining trance history through a particular filter... what's your say? Maybe not an artist at all - perhaps a label, or style would work just as well... ;)

610797[/snapback]

isn't Twisted the second album?

the lone deranger was first?

or am i walking in a different dimension again. :huh:

One aspect of the question is - what artist or whatever was receiving the most buzz in a given year? Infected may have had their debut in 1999 but I don't think we had "Mushroom fever" until 2000. Perhaps 2001 felt like Year of the Swedes, with Son Kite, Atmos, Ticon, S>Range, and Noma all receiving a lot of hype. Maybe 2006 is the Year of Darkpsy - it certainly is getting an insane amount of buzz. Doesn't mean its good music, but it certainly is going out in a big way.

1997 had to be the year of Flying Rhino with these albums & comps released

Technossomy - Synthetic Flesh

Various - Air Born

Various - Retrodelica - Back From The Future

Psyko Disko - Psycho Disco

Green Nuns Of The Revolution - Rock Bitch Mafia

Various - White Rhino

Various - Black Rhino

:D

Not an album or an artist per se, but I think in hindsite the track of 2001 would probably have to be Deedrah - Reload (GMS remix). Back in 2001 it was the peak of the minimal boom (basically the same situation we are in with full on now. Some good releases and a flood of lesser ones and general boredum with it kicking in the scene overall). Suddenly this track came out and EVERY event I went to that year this track was played at least once and had everyone going nuts.

Soon after "full on" became a genre instead of a general way to describe trance that had a lot of sonic activity, impact and motion (unlike the less harmonic, more rythmic and repeatative stuff that was most minimal). GMS came to rule all for a while. The good minimal guys moved on and somewhere "minimal" split and changed into "progressive" and "tech-trance" and here we are today.

As an aside, interestingly I find a lot of the new "dark" trance to be very similar to minimal in a lot of ways. It's more intense and there is a lot more going on sonically of course (a lot of dark fans might hate me for saying this, but I think dark psy is just a minor offshoot of full on that I would call "noisy full on" :P), but it is, overall, just another backlash from more obvious melody, much as minimal was a reaction against obviously melodic goa and psy-trance that came before it.

Reload was definatly the hit of 2001... Seems like Switch covered 2005 and I'd credit 2004 to The Witness (or was that 2003?)... might be interesting to consider each year solely through the most popular track, simply to chart the shift in trends through the years... then again, what is the biggest tune of this year? All speculative of course.And biggest definatly does not mean best, merely anthemic and popular :)

then again, what is the biggest tune of this year? All speculative of course.And biggest definatly does not mean best, merely anthemic and popular :)

610899[/snapback]

vibrasphere - seven days to daylight :):D

I would say 2000 was the year of Yahel. His tracks (Last Man In the Universe, Waves Of Sound, For The People) from the Wave Of Sounds album got played at nearly every party in the morning. He was also either loved or hated (and still is) for his emotional and melodic music but in this year he had his breaktrough.

1995: Anything

1996/97: Etnica and Pleiadians

1998: Twisted Records (Dementertainment, Eclipse, Shpongle)

1999: Israel (Infected Mushroom, Space Cat, V/A - Israelians, Spiral Active, Power Source)

2000: The Delta and Spirallianz (the delta album was released in december 1999)

1994: Dragonfly.

1995: Must be TIP... Yellow, Orange, and look at the singles...

While 1996 was a huge year for Etnica, It's also the year Transwave released TWO albums.

1997: Maybe Dragonfly again: I.F.O., UX album, Shakta album...

Somewhere in the early 00's, there was GMS albums, compilation appearances and heaps of unwarranted hype everywhere.

1997 had to be the year of Flying Rhino with these albums & comps released

Technossomy - Synthetic Flesh 

Various - Air Born 

Various - Retrodelica - Back From The Future 

Psyko Disko - Psycho Disco 

Green Nuns Of The Revolution - Rock Bitch Mafia

Various - White Rhino

Various - Black Rhino

:D

610866[/snapback]

i second that

it was all rhino that year

:)

haha seems like the experts are quite finished with this puzzle yet..

some very good propositions here.. but i dont think derango should have a whole year.. 'dark' psy yes.. but not one artist if i am concerned  :P

611068[/snapback]

well in 2005 it was debut album of derango + tracks at compilations... And it's an album that standed out from the rest of "dark psy" ..

;)

Hey, nice topic Basilisk... ;)

My choice would be :

1993 - JUNO REACTOR - TRANSMISSIONS

1994 - EAT STATIC - IMPLANT

1995 - HALLUCINOGEN - TWISTED

1996 - ASTRAL PROJECTION - TRUST IN TRANCE

1997 - PLEIADIANS - IDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECTS

1998 - OFORIA - DELIRIOUS/ PIGS IN SPACE - PIGS IN SPACE

1999 - INFECTED MUSHROOM - THE GATHERING

2000 - YEAR OF SCHLABBADUERST :D

For the rest of the years I cannot comment since I can't see anyone significant for that period. B)