Great albums....

vancbc

I've just found Nervasystem & Aether - The Mama Matrix Most Mysterious. I find this album fantastic! However, I find this album has little to no critical acclaim and for me was a diamond in the rough for the finding.

I would love to hear from anyone here who can share information on other albums that may be obscure or were not hugely popular but that you consider to be great gems of psychedelic music that somehow slipped below the radar of classic popularity.

I have most of the "Goa greats" in my collection and am now looking to expand that collection with more eclectic psychedelic music that stands out to you.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An album I bought recently (from Anoebis btw) is Z-Man: Storyteller.

http://www.discogs.com/release/567651

It's melodic full-on psy but very well done. I've never heard anybody talk about it even when Z-Man is Jonas Bergvall vom Logic Bomb. The sound is a bit more melodic than the Logic Bomb stuff I've heard but still far from being cheesy. The tracks really tell stories and I'm amazed how well they are done.

Here's some of my picks. Sadly, most of them are no longer available in stores, so you'll have to look for them on eBay. However, since they're not so wildly acclaimed, they should be quite cheap :)

Biodegradable - Phaser (Inti Raimy)

Alienated - FF (Creamcrop)

Children of Paradise - Urban Alien (Velvet Inc.)

Darshan - Spectra (Flying Rhino)

Metal Spark - Corrosive (Blue Room)

Process - One Drop or Two? (Creamcrop)

Sandman - Psychotoons (Hadshot)

Color Box - Train to Chroma City

It's amazing how unknown this album still is, when you think about how purely goa it does sound.

599680[/snapback]

I definitely agree. That album has some nostalgic tunes it. :)

This denmark-goa went even further with Bypass Unit's absolutely brilliant, mindtwisting, heavenly album, "dropz of obscure eclipses".

I rarely see it mentioned and I can't see why. Belongs to my top-10 list easy. :)

ps. I'll upload them tonight!

Color Box - Train to Chroma City

It's amazing how unknown this album still is, when you think about how purely goa it does sound.

599680[/snapback]

psygone - optimystique

599802[/snapback]

Yes and yes. These are the ones that came to my mind, too. :)

Both from Hypnotic....

599935[/snapback]

Yes, which is interesting considering the vast amount of crap they put out. I talked not too long ago with Rene from Colobox who described horrific experiences with Hypnotic and how they pretty much single-handedly stole away his desire to continue making and releasing music. Fortunately he's been back in the studio for a while now.

I would love to hear from anyone here who can share information on other albums that may be obscure or were not hugely popular but that you consider to be great gems of psychedelic music that somehow slipped below the radar of classic popularity.

599626[/snapback]

Psychopod "Headlines EP" released on the real TIP Records in 1997 didnt get the fame it deserved. 6 tracks, almost an album, mind blowing, twisted, energetic and psychedelic tracks who till this day work wonders.

Ololiuqui "Ololiuqui" released on Spirit Zone Recordings 1997 is also a master piece of psychedelia, melodies, grooves and a nice balance between progressive and full on "in your face" kinda sounds.

Tristan "Audiodrome" released on Twisted Records in 2000 is an awesome psychedelic album, merging the organic psychedelic sounds of earlier koxbox/tristan/prana/ect/manmademan stuff with the new emering Tech & Progressive sound of the future. Progressive sounding tracks pounding along well over 145 BPM in conjuction with true psychedelia. Nice combination, so rarely (if not at all) seen today.

Those were 3 of my all time partially overlooked favourites. Not that people didnt notice them, but they just didnt get the fame they deserved. They all represented steps in new directions at the time of their release, and had a huge impact on future releases as sources of inspirations for upcoming producers.

- Krell

I really have no idea how unknown these are in the big picture, yet I`ve seldom seen these artists\projects mentioned, atleast here that is.

I`ll also include ep`s as well :P

Ominus - Ominus

Rip Van Hippy - When Bernie Was a Tree

Orion - Futuristic poetry

Rhythmystec - Cathexis & Plasmatik Ep`s / Snake Thing`s stuff also.

A very nice and goaish soundin album that doesn't get a lot of promo is the Fluorolizard album on Boom records.

imo Loopus In Fabula (Fabula Records) released 2 great groovy, funky psychedelic prog/trance albums (Astrofunk and recently Fat Ladies Bingo!) that not very much people have heard of. it's some top prog material, i love to listen to it if i need something not toooo serious and heavy-on-the-mind.

Tristan "Audiodrome" released on Twisted Records in 2000 is an awesome psychedelic album, merging the organic psychedelic sounds of earlier koxbox/tristan/prana/ect/manmademan stuff with the new emering Tech & Progressive sound of the future. Progressive sounding tracks pounding along well over 145 BPM in conjuction with true psychedelia. Nice combination, so rarely (if not at all) seen today.

Substance is just as good :)

Spectral-Diffuse and Quirk-Quality Control,two great albums imo, that i hardly see mentioned anywhere,maybe its because they are quite different from the regular stuff,but i think they still sound fresh today especially the spectral album its fucking great imo.

Quasar - One Day

Dominator Project - Paranormal Connection

both these blow my mind...

or do you mean older CD's?

I thought Astral Projection's Amen CD was underrated...

I was thinking about these too! I especially love Psycho Toons!!!

another one that pops into my mind is:

Cypher - iMusic (Twisted Records 1999)

BLT - Presence (HOM-Mega Productions 2000)

:)

I love these albums when it seems few others do...

Healer - Higher Grounds

Various - White Rhino

Various - Black Rhino

Various - The Secret Language of Ordinary Objects

Tripswitch - Circuitbreaker

Moshic - Salamat

KURO - Revolution

Asura - Lost Eden

Manmademan - Love Technology

&

M-Sphere - Electronic Relaxation