Old Psy or Modern Psy...

Charlie

Following on from the recent discussions about whether today's psy music is as good as the psy of old, I thought it would be interesting to properly gauge people's opinion.

Note: Modern psy refers to anything released in 2004 forward.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if I have to choose I go for the old sound,mainly for the ideas and originality.

530184[/snapback]

i second that :)!

i also like some of so called modern psy, but overall i find it too similar to each other in general.

I would say the modern thing started about 2001 or 2002. When the new ideas started to fade out and become trends or fashion.

530196[/snapback]

I get what you're saying and did consider that but I feel today's psy has changed since 2001/2002.

I voted for the old psy but I really have to add that there are also a lot of brilliant (for my taste of course) relases of new stuff I wouldn't want to miss! I love both!

I think I prefer old Psy because most of my favourite trance albums are old. I do like a lot of modern stuff too but it's too soon to tell if I'll really like them 10 years on. I have really liked some of the modern releases like Artifakt II but I haven't had time to really get into them.

Following on from the recent discussions about whether today's psy music is as good as the psy of old, I thought it would be interesting to properly gauge people's opinion.

Note: Modern psy refers to anything released in 2004 forward.

530168[/snapback]

your grey hairs starting to show charles :lol:

Hei Charlie, since we're talking about new stuff: What do you think about the Benza - Retrofuturism and Planum - Elaborate albums? I know they are not old-school but imho they still stand out from the usual psy released this days. Do you like them or are they also soulless to you? Just wondering... :)

Hei Charlie, since we're talking about new stuff: What do you think about the Benza - Retrofuturism and Planum - Elaborate albums? I know they are not old-school but imho they still stand out from the usual psy released this days. Do you like them or are they also soulless to you? Just wondering... :)

530272[/snapback]

I've not heard them. Can you post some links? I'll check them out when my speakers are returned and shall report back.

I've not heard them. Can you post some links? I'll check them out when my speakers are returned and shall report back.

530280[/snapback]

Ok, here's the Planum album:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/show_ar...?artist_id=6195

I have to add that the samples (I haven't heard this samples, I'm just talking in general) do the whole tracks no justice imho. I've prelistened the album at the shop before buying and only after listening to the whole tracks at home I realised how good they were.

And here's Benza:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=4466

If I remember right tracks 2, 6 and 8 suited me best.

Cheers, Tatsu. Look forward to hearing them.  :)

530322[/snapback]

And I'm really curious about your opinion... :)

I get what you're saying and did consider that but I feel today's psy has changed since 2001/2002.

530205[/snapback]

Yeah, it's a tough question, i think goa sounds MUCH more different to 2002 stuff than 2002 stuff does to 2005-06 stuff. However, I like old psy the most, and voted for it.

Guest antic

I voted old, because... I'm old (29.5) :(

No, but really I find most of the old-school stuff much better than today's music - problem is, I don't really like any full-on, almost no progressive, definitely no dark-trance and downtempo is too chilly for me... I simply miss good old psychedelic trance from around 97-99, when melodies started to disapear and were replaced by musically layered noises (i.e. late TIP, early Flying Rhino & Twisted)... that's the stuff I love most :)

that's why I visit eBay more often than Psyshop, though it really hurts my pockets :(

Edited by antic

I'd say I like modern psy somewhat better than old psy.

Now don't get me wrong, there's also some great oldschool stuff out there and it's a pity that it doesn't exist anymore. But it's still the case that the oldschool stuff is too intense for me on the long run. I enjoy it sometimes ... and indeed, it's great music that can twist your brain. But not too much of it please...

In contrary to this stands the modern progressive psy, that comes with lesser 303 mayhem and more well and wisely placed sounds and rhythms and twists. And that's what I prefer. I like a light and groovy psychedelic cocktail, but not with too much psy in it ... you know me :) I could listen to such stuff forever nonstop! And the modern stuff - the modern progressive stuff, to be precise, because Fullon is generally not quite my cup of tea - can give me what I need.

Thus I voted for modern.