Progressive Psy with Vocals

Lauryn

I'm not advocating for progressive psy with vocals, I'm not advocating against progressive psy with vocals...Not really interested in peoples opinions on it either....I started this thread more as a way of brainstorming what's out there that's worth checking out in this sub-sub-genre or however you choose to look at it... :)

Personally, I hate vocals in trance.

Exception have been cropping up however. Often in surprising places, sometimes not so much.

For example, I am charmed by the vocals on that one track on Lish's new album. Cheezy, isn't it? That song sort of spoke to me about a relationship of mine from a little while back. I suppose that's the way in for soppy nonsense such as that.

Something of the same reasoning applies to Le Lascard from the new Antix. Yeah, I'm not sure which way to go a lot of the time. I sort of hum along with that track and it's cathedral vibes and it takes me places.

Totally surprising, this reaction of mine, honest.

I guess these words have more potential for meaning to be read in them than some others. Take, for example, that Sub6 (or was it Psysex?) track with the "bang bang go to your room" vocals or whatever it was. That's stupid. Or IM's various nonsense lyrics - run run run to the cities of the future, take what you can and bring it back home or some shit? I just could not for the life of me read anything deep into this crap. Le Lascard's lyrics are really simple and sparsely used... just as trance is a universal language left open to interpretation, these more basic arrangements of words leave one with some room to relate - to any number of things in one's own life. Vocals aren't just another pretty instrument unless it's nonsense sing-song stuff like in Shpongle. If there are lyrics, it's really going to make or break a tune.

I am babbling again, look at that. Ha.

Element - Full Moon

292023[/snapback]

Now THERE's an example of how Progressive trance with vocal should be done ;)

The only thing is, you shouldn't pay too much attention to the lyrics, cause they're not always Nobel-prize-material. For me it's more about the sound of the voice & the emotions that come with it...

Now THERE's an example of how Progressive trance with vocal should be done ;)

The only thing is, you shouldn't pay too much attention to the lyrics, cause they're not always Nobel-prize-material. For me it's more about the sound of the voice & the emotions that come with it...

292065[/snapback]

To me, music is very good but vocals are dreadful...hate it completely...

Sorry...:(

;)

To me, music is very good but vocals are dreadful...hate it completely...

Sorry...:(

;)

292068[/snapback]

That all a matter of personal taste right? ;)

What really makes them stand out for me is that they are a live BAND making trance.

They also have an am-a-zing drummer.

& sometimes a singer too :P rather then just sampling a vocal from some movie or something

Their new album should be out in July on Avalanche Rec's

On a much lesser note: "We are the world, we are the future" by Analog Pussy : psy-trance with vocals the way it should NOT be imho :huh:

any more recommendations?

well, Antix- Hiding Place off of Twin Coast Discovery is one....

292007[/snapback]

I was really looking forward to the new antix album, then someone told me it was ridden with vocals, and so I didn't buy it, knowing that I'd hate it....just doesn't work for me. :mellow:

I usually dislike vocals in trance but if you find a good track with vocals and mix it properly the set in general really improves, imo.

SBK - Borderline is a example for me of a good prog track with vocals, but maybe the purists won't consider it psy

Personally, I hate vocals in trance.

I don't mind it in electronic music in general. The use of vocals in psy-trance tends to be unimaginative and generic at best though; breathy female vocals. I guess it's the Posford heritage.

Something of the same reasoning applies to Le Lascard from the new Antix. Yeah, I'm not sure which way to go a lot of the time. I sort of hum along with that track and it's cathedral vibes and it takes me places.

It's terrible!

I've only heard a handful of tunes that succesfully manages to mix vocals (other than the obvious breathy female vocals) and psy-trance. The best so far is Tristan's deeep psychedelic masterpiece Tentacloid of the Southafrica 2000 compilation on Etnica.net. I really wish he would explore that domain further. Atmos' Random Landlord is another good example.

IMO vocals are used frequently in psy prog

good examples: Haldolium tracks

Xibalba also

That begs the question - is Antix "psytrance"?

One of the bros played Hiding Place in his DJ set while he was in Toronto last friday... people were into it. One of my friends had even said he came out specifically to hear that track.

When I heard the vocals I thought wtf?!? Totally out of place IMO. Vocals and psytrance don't belong together as far as I'm concerned.

292449[/snapback]

Oh come on, Ron Lyner - Know your fears (v/a - perfect evolution) might not contain a lot of vocals but those samples sure as hell, very well used

292517[/snapback]

thats a good question, but i don't really see a cleancut definition psy trance as it stands today. If we try to group all these sub-genres some people would just like call it 'music'. and in some respects i agree with them, but is clear you can't group antix with say... electrypnose in one bag so i really don't know

I was really looking forward to the new antix album, then someone told me it was ridden with vocals, and so I didn't buy it, knowing that I'd hate it....just doesn't work for me.  :mellow:

292106[/snapback]

It's really not that ridden with vocals. Aside from that awful shithole of a track "Hiding Place" (which has great music but awfully-done vocals), I recall one other track (Le Lascard?) with a bit of vocal treatment which I actually found quite good. But I don't remember much in the way of vocals for the rest of the album. It's actually a fantastic album, aside from the utter failure of "Hiding Place" (I can't stand that track if ya couldn't tell ;) ).

Somebody mentioned the new Sub 6 remixes that were released on VP. For me, that is another example of really poorly-treated vocals. They sound like somebody doing a really bad impression of Björk. The Ticon remix is fantastic, musically, but the way the vocal is used *almost* makes me not want to play it. Almost..... ;)

Somebody mentioned Xibalba - for me, they are a wonderful example of how I like to hear vocals done in prog/psy. More a part of the track rather than trying to soar over & beyond the music. The vocal track "Fresh" on the Lish album also does a great job. I prefer it when the vocal feels more like another instrument than the traditional way in which vocals dominate pop/rock songs.

......that is unless it's got the wonderful sleaze factor, but I find that more in house. :)

• 4 months later...

292517[/snapback]

When you mention it, I listened to it again, and no - Antix' new album is NOT psy-trance. More like progressive house. The point remains the same though: Vocals don't belong in psy-trance, and "Hiding Place" is a big pile of crap.