So now Armin van Buuren is producing "psytrance"

Meltwater

And now Andrew Rayel is getting on board the "psytrain," producing "psytrance."

Chanting? Check.  Rolling or chugging bass? Check. Random triplets? Check.

I blame Vini Vici for this. 

Yup, heard it as well on ASOT a few weeks ago.

Psy is literally gonna be THE hype in EDM for 2017-2018, as it seems. The 'regular' trance & EDM producers that are jumping the psy-bandwagon are everywhere.

That's not all, even hardstyle producers are raving about psy since the end of 2016. Read: http://www.hardnews.nl/en/psytrance-the-newest-hype-within-the-hardstyle-scene/

This is what's going on. It's for real.

And yeah, Vini Vici is the main reason, as far as I can tell his remix to Highlight Tribe really caused a huge ripple in mainstream EDM land. Amazing how hypes work, actually. :)

Sesto Sento have made substantial contribution into transforming full-on into some sort of pop music. Now this guy does the same thing to progressive. I guess he will make a forest project next.

Well, they're pretty much the same group right?  Sesto Sento just has fewer 16th-note bass rolls.

Of course, Vini Vici hasn't done any The Police remixes yet :D

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I think you're right about techno buddying up next to psy, lots more psy v techno sets happening nowadays too. For me it felt like the logical step was techno v goa as they both share a lot of similarities in song structuree while the psy i hear out n about is designed to be flipped into a new track every 3 minutes. I think the clean punchiness of psy and hard style work well together though and that makes sense to me.

I also notice a lot more 3-4 minute tracks from people like Reality Test, who isnt vin vici but is a pretty close step as far as mainstream psy goes. Her stuff rocks though so no problems there.

My main problem with the psy v techno arrangement is that festivals bring in the techno crowd, then online you see lots more vocal demand for House music to be added to the lineup next year. This is where i'd always draw the line. 

@AstralSphinx

Hey, the Miranda track above is quite nice, but has not much "PSY" in it at all and yes 3 minutes is short for trance/techno. Edit, yes I note it is not a very complex track and mostly arps thrown together...

Btw. there are rap/hiphop titles often with 2.00 -2.30 length part of the WHY? is that Spotify gives you a play count for a 2Min. track already. There was one guy who uploaded 1 Min. snippets to Spotify etc. then promoted the shit out of it and played it with bots etc. millions of time. He made good money before someone noted the fraud...other reason is attention span of most people shortened which also is true for music. Even a 1Min. intro might be to long for todays listeneres and they just skip the track if it not brings beats or melodies etc. early on..

But what is "ASOT"? 

I think Van Buuren's collab with Vini Vici was an one-off.

Sean Tyas who used to be a household name in commercial trance, has made some psy tracks which sounded decent but quite generic

Protoculture, who had migrated from psytrance to commercial trance long ago, returned into psy as Shadow Chronicles (still with a lot of EDM/mainstream trance elements but not really cringeworthy)

I think psytrance may be something of interest for mainstream trance producers as a production challenge, for being highly techncially advanced music. 

On 8/3/2020 at 2:11 AM, AstralSphinx said:

the emergence of Techno

The unfortunate side effect of this is that what used to be "the chillout" at psytrance parties has in recent years turned into "the alternative stage" with people playing mostly techno and/or house with some chill in the beginning and/or end, at least here in Finland it has mostly gone that way. It used to be that when I was too physically and/or mentally exhausted to be on the main floor, I could go to the chill and just relax and melt into the music, and I can't really do that much anymore :/

• Like 2

Anyone knows "Die Grube" ? Was in the Sauerlandish woods? I remember we went there 3-4 times, it was mostly Goa what they played and the chill area was a chill area not a techno area. Was surprised to read Die Grube is even included in the German Wiki for Psy - must be closed now for some years.

Then the last time we went there, we were dissapointed what they played...sounded more like techno to our (goa) ears. I asked a girl she said, "this is progressive psytrance", did not like it much at first. Later the sound grew on me and I even found some faves like Atmos, Vibrasphere. I need to remember other names I like from the progressive departement. But the chill was still chill.. the prog stuff was played on main floor.

From what I read on Wiki being included in ASOT, would be quite a boost....

On 8/3/2020 at 10:22 AM, AstralSphinx said:

Where do you think things are heading in todays Psytrance scene compared to back in 2016?

this

On 8/4/2020 at 4:31 PM, Multi-Media said:

Then the last time we went there, we were dissapointed what they played...sounded more like techno to our (goa) ears. I asked a girl she said, "this is progressive psytrance", did not like it much at first. Later the sound grew on me and I even found some faves like Atmos, Vibrasphere. I need to remember other names I like from the progressive departement. But the chill was still chill.. the prog stuff was played on main floor.

OMG dude, do they still play that stuff? Old Skool Progressive Psytrance ... I'd travel some distance to hear that again, played on a dancefloor... :wub:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, RTP said:

OMG dude, do they still play that stuff? Old Skool Progressive Psytrance ... I'd travel some distance to hear that again, played on a dancefloor... :wub:

Guess not, cause this location is closed... but I just googled and it seems in fact they re-opened but now are closed again this time "Corinna" is the reason..

But... from what I gather at this site they have moved away from Goa/Psy anyway 

"Das Frühjahrs-Programm stehe fest. Rock, Punk-Pop, Elektro-Punk, neuer Pop und Motiv-Partys und zwischendurch auch die “Brot und Butter” Techno-Veranstaltungen."

https://www.schiebener.net/wordpress/die-grube-siedlinghausen-weg-vom-techno-image-hin-zu-musik-und-kultur/

But at least they have the new years goa/psy parties still:

https://www.goabase.net/party/silvester-knallts-die-grube-201920/105576