It's time to just say it

johnb820

Hi-Tech is not supposed to be dark, but mind fucking.

To be honest I'm suprised that many ppl here dislike Hi-Tech. Apart from the high bpm which can be polarizing the whole idea of weird sound effects is a major characteristic of Psytrance since day one.

I also shake my head at the you must be on drugs to enjoy it. Isn't that what outsiders accuse Goa and Psy for? I mean we try to convince people that music is the drug and now a Psytrance subgenre is accused of being a drug music.

Honestly this is a major flashback of 2001-2002 where hardcore goaheads believed that Full On was only popular because of e.

E? I thought C

Can I please bring up the idea from page 1 again ... a computer program that writes trance would acutally be awesome.

Anyway, with all due respect and tolerance that is in me, I really dislike Hi-Tech and the way where the darkpsy scene is going. I can do nothing but laugh when going on the Hitech floor. I don't laugh at people, I laugh at the situation ... this concept is so un-connectable for me, so devoid of anything that I seek in music. It's ununderstandable for me how anybody could seek it.

And that's the scary thing for me, because I never thought I could dislike anything in the psy scene EVER. I was wrong.

Where has the GOOD dark stuff gone?

The stuff like that:

interesting at least. i'd like to see it happen and i suspect it's unlikely that we'll not see it in our lifetimes. though probably with a totally different kind of music :)

agreed 100%.

may i remind you that the alien jesus album was released 5 years ago already ;)

if all darkpsy was like that, i'd go to parties every weekend and not twice a year. :)

• 3 weeks later...

You know, the case with the previous "dislikes" was that there was still acceptance inside me for the stuff. Meaning: you couldn't torture m with it. If you played me that Alien Jesus album I'd just get drunk and maybe even get some half-good time out of it.

I disliked it, but I didn't disrespect it.

But Hi-Tech is beyond that to me.

And that's why I find it "scary" ... because as Ormion said, its origins lie in psy ... and I never experienced anything originating from here being so bad ... I lose the respect. Any that's what I never wanted.

Just out of curiosity what exactly do you hate in Hi-Tech? The speed? The overload of effects? The glitches?

For me, the tempo... And the fact the bassline is "overpowering" the rest of the sounds... the agressive factor is there, instead in the psychedelic sounds messing with your head... Probably thats why I like so much forest, the bass is more organic and the tempo reasonable :P

• Like 1

the agressive factor is there, instead in the psychedelic sounds

A word that I often use to describe the vibe is "empty". It's not like I can define "psychedelic", it's very subjective, but I don't think that a steady beat and bassline with plenty of random noise on it is psychedelic, no matter the speed.

My personal problem with the dark hi-tech is that there's no way to recognize tracks, let alone artists, most just sound (read: feel) the same. It's true for a lot of oldschool goa, too (ManMadeMan comes to mind), and also for (too) many newschool productions - I have the same problem with those. But I always have the feeling that in Full-On, Progressive, and Darkpsy, the feeling of "sameness" is the most prominent in psychedelic music.

"Glitches" were mentioned - interesting, because this seems to really split folks, too. I love psy dub, for instance, but I hate the glitchy type. It probably also adds to my disliking of hi-tech.

I said "dark" above, because Hi-Tech is a pretty tough genre and I don't really get it. Gen-Ohm's "Something Cosmic" (

) is considered Hi-Tech in some circles, and if you like classic trance, chances are you'll love this track. It's melodic, it has a positive and bright vibe. I can hardly put it in relation with what emerged from darkpsy, however. What's the deal here?
  • Like 2

Just out of curiosity what exactly do you hate in Hi-Tech? The speed? The overload of effects? The glitches?

for me: the glitches are the #1. lack of any kind of atmosphere in most productions is #2 (i know there are notable exceptions). but the speed also plays a part, even though i like other high bpm music; the 1/16 bass sounds needlessly rushed (some of the effects also do) at 180bpm+. there's a (most likely individually very different) transition from having room to breathe in a track to having it tightly packed to having the elements being arranged so dense in time that it all blends together into a misshapen mush, making the whole thing seem like a childish speed contest to me.

so if you give me glitch-free, atmospheric, off-bass darkpsy i'll probably dance for hours. even if it's at 190 ;)

• Like 2

For me, any kind of music with glitches just kill the groove and rhythm for me. It seems like a needless complexity and they are in service of nothing else in the mix. Adding 1/32 notes as a flair on a well constructed beat can be wonderful, but part of what makes rhythmic music rhythmic is a sense of repetition. When the music goes off on random glitches there is no longer a clear understanding of what to expect and where the song will go.

• Like 2

Not only the overload of effects and glitches, but the lack of any atmosphere and the same rolling bass, which sometimes sounds pretty dull at higher BPMs.

Regarding the speed, if you know how to make proper music at a high BPM, it's OK.

• Like 1

Hello,

skipping the last comments, but what do You think about the artist Silent Horror and his album Séance? For me truly hypnotic and therefore psychedelic... Very dark, very "evil", but it is really a séance and with a high technique and atmosphere. And for me this is what its about with Dark Psy: Atmosphere. BPM between 146-154.

^

judging by the 10 top albums you posted in the other thread, i figured i might like it. but while i see the atmosphere, the album has the same typical darkpsy kick/bass, that i think has no energy, and lots of harsh fm-lead sounds.

these two would be (rare) examples of (less than a decade old) darkpsy that i find ok. with less of those stereotypical sounds, some atmosphere and darkpsy out and out. not that i'd like a whole album of that stuff, but at the right places in a dj set such tracks can really shine.

I never understood what's the big deal with Atriohm or Encephalopaticys. Ppl mention them all the time as great examples of darkpsy/forest, but IMO they're pretty boring.

Anyway for those who looking atmosphere darkpsy nothing can beat this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHqWqbH1Qjk

Actual perfection.

• Like 1

^

judging by the 10 top albums you posted in the other thread, i figured i might like it. but while i see the atmosphere, the album has the same typical darkpsy kick/bass, that i think has no energy, and lots of harsh fm-lead sounds.

these two would be (rare) examples of (less than a decade old) darkpsy that i find ok. with less of those stereotypical sounds, some atmosphere and darkpsy out and out. not that i'd like a whole album of that stuff, but at the right places in a dj set such tracks can really shine.

Yes, the "harsh fm-lead sounds" are there and they are very (!) sharp but the bass/kick has lots of variation, so it is for me very dynamic and exciting. In my oppinion the energy is very strong. Especially the last track is just scary and takes about 6 minutes to build up.