Who is Innovative, and Why?

Shpongled247

I saw today a friend mention how he doesn't do psytrance parties anymore as "no artist has been innovative for years in that genre".. I held my tongue as I realise its all in the eye/ear of the beholder...but I think he is way off the mark..

For me some actual innovative artists in goa/psy recently are:

Blackstarrfinale - For the way he has mixed goa elements with psy so nicely, unlike anyone else ive heard the past few years. And also for pulling together a nicely coherent concept album.

M Run - For just simply being unique in their sound and style. Can't quite put my finger on it but it is just goa crossed with a healthy dose of psychedelic fun.

I have a heap more but wanted to see what other people consider as innovative artists at the moment?? (Don't just post your favourite artists or I would just say filteria! :P )

hmm.. there are a lot I could name..^^ but if I have to name one it's probably Electrypnose

Difficult to always stay up to date with this guy as he releasing really a lot of stuff all over the genres... ranging from ambient to darkspy.

Why he is innovative to me? He doesn't sound like somebody else.. not even close :D Really like his unique style - sounds bit like he just wants to make his own thing and doesn't much care about what's hyped right now.. the result are some really fuzzy tracks... sounds you can't find nowhere else.

I hink there's a lot of 'areas' one can be innovative in, and that there are also boundaries in that if in certain aspects (like composition for example) one is too creative, one crosses borders into other genre's. Yet there are also areas one can be creative in while comfortably residing inside a certain genre. A good example of this is soundsculpting, and I think the most innovative artists in this come out of the forest subgenre... a gazillion sounds all working together to create that hyperpsychedelic but also trancy feel.

The problem with being innovative is when someone does sth groundbreaking, it will divide listeners EVERY time. There'll always be a discussion if it's still goa/psytrance/dark or whatever, 'it's not the genre anymore' and similar stuff. Adding too many new elements causes listeners to (subconsciously?) put the producer on a new subgenre shelf as a first of a new breed.

Having said that :), I'm on agree with Shpongled247 on BlackStarrFinale's music, I could also add Terrafractyl (for trying to infect psytrance with other genres - Spacey Koala comes to mind aswell, thanks again for that suggestion :) ) and I'm still waiting for the next Artha and Talpa's albums (hoping the prog elements will be sticking mostly to his Riddler's alter ego [which I also like]).

Edit: I see IronSun has posted a reply during my writing, so we've kinda doubled some thoughts:

if in certain aspects (like composition for example) one is too creative, one crosses borders into other genre's.

+1

Yet there are also areas one can be creative in while comfortably residing inside a certain genre. A good example of this is soundsculpting, and I think the most innovative artists in this come out of the forest subgenre... a gazillion sounds all working together to create that hyperpsychedelic but also trancy feel.

True, but doing innovations in a genre that has about 20 years could be really hard. Forrest could be/is innovative, but for some listeners the tunes are too much different from regular goa/psy and it causes those trancers to stay away.

Battle between new, fresh and different continues :).

Blackstarrfinale

M Run

Couldn't agree more, both of them are a unique examples of proper and creative goa trance music which is not constrained by usual cliche rules or boundaries. I would add to that list mr. Cybernetika aswell due to his drum'n'bass-darkpsytrance crossover (goa influenced) production which has been unique in my book for some time now. There are also some other artists who are doing great stuff, for example I always liked Artha's work and his goa trance music. Regarding the more 'melody-based' goa acts nowdays I really like Astrancer and his approach, he got unique sound and vibe and I hope one day we will see his full lenght album, some of his unreleased material sounds epic. For sure there is even more artists but I only posted ones who are into goa trance music in some kind a way.

I have a differente point of view: every modern artist has at least one great innovative track released. I appreciate the work of BSF and M-Run, but frankly, I like only one track of the first, can't remember the work of the second. So what we have nowadays is a bunch of great tracks spread thru a myriad of artists. Versus in the old school time, when almost every artist's work was really mind blowing. Unfortunately, I can't point a single outstanding artist. I liked the work of E-Mantra at first, but it faded with time. Right now I like the Russian school (Psy-H Project, Alienapia and others doing modern dark goa).

Well, we can't invent a wheel for the second time :)

No, we can't. I could have added this to my previous comment. So, modern artists are really brave doing goa nowadays, I applaud them for that. Not easy trying to do goa when their work will be compared to such a rich past.

So, modern artists are really brave doing goa nowadays, I applaud them for that. Not easy trying to do goa when their work will be compared to such a rich past.

True, although being compared to is an honor aswell, if someone achieves this level - the next step (being innovative) should be easier.

Also I can't completely agree on being brave, because there will always be a group of people who want new stuff, no matter how different or groundbreaking it will be, we simply can't listen to the same music over and over (well, maybe sometimes ;) ). Being new is an advantage too.

True, although being compared to is an honor aswell, if someone achieves this level - the next step (being innovative) should be easier.

Also I can't completely agree on being brave, because there will always be a group of people who want new stuff, no matter how different or groundbreaking it will be, we simply can't listen to the same music over and over (well, maybe sometimes ;) ). Being new is an advantage too.

Good point. ;)

hmm.. there are a lot I could name..^^ but if I have to name one it's probably Electrypnose

Difficult to always stay up to date with this guy as he releasing really a lot of stuff all over the genres... ranging from ambient to darkspy.

Why he is innovative to me? He doesn't sound like somebody else.. not even close :D Really like his unique style - sounds bit like he just wants to make his own thing and doesn't much care about what's hyped right now.. the result are some really fuzzy tracks... sounds you can't find nowhere else.

Yes deft, as is Scorb however he doesn't release enough for my liking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv2LMSPq6nc

Agression agression agression and weird modulation, his music fucks me out to dark corners of universe lol

And here is another stuff full of funky spiraling mind licks, levitating farts and raped screaming goats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IhzS0CMF5M

I don't know what he is taking when he produces but it must be good shit ahaha

yes ! vince is also probably one of the most genuine guys out there. back in the day he sent me a cd with all his unreleased tracks (hard to believe) just because i expressed an interest in his music on some fora. i never asked for music per say , i just said i really liked what i was hearing because it was different from what people were releasing those days. really talented and innovative artist in every sense of the term. what was amazing was i didn't need any more music for the next 3 months because it was full of electronic music covering all hues and spectrums. i cant imagine anybody going out of their way to do something like that for anyone these days . more power to the man

Spacey Koala comes to mind aswell, thanks again for that suggestion :) )

bleh! I saw Spacey Koala 2 weekends ago at Psyfari and I didn't like it. I thought I was enjoying myself at first but his constant start and stopping of the bass and energy was a big turn off ;( but its interesting I see his name come up here because I at least did notice something different about him. I did actually think "this guy has his own psy genre" ;p so thats cool to see others with similar thought. I never heard of him before seeing the flyer to the event. This weekend in 2 days or whatever I will see him perform again and give a second chance.

bleh! I saw Spacey Koala 2 weekends ago at Psyfari and I didn't like it. I thought I was enjoying myself at first but his constant start and stopping of the bass and energy was a big turn off ;( but its interesting I see his name come up here because I at least did notice something different about him. I did actually think "this guy has his own psy genre" ;p so thats cool to see others with similar thought. I never heard of him before seeing the flyer to the event. This weekend in 2 days or whatever I will see him perform again and give a second chance.

At least he belongs in this topic, since You've thought about his music like that ;). I like those pauses, ending phrases other than a loud crash could be quite innovative (that's one of the things I like in full-on, some producers came up with nice ideas there).

At least he belongs in this topic, since You've thought about his music like that ;). I like those pauses, ending phrases other than a loud crash could be quite innovative (that's one of the things I like in full-on, some producers came up with nice ideas there).

well I guess Im just a sucker for classic full-on ;p the artists kept the energy or had one or two small breakdowns and when the energy was back again, they took to their style and sound to fill the air with layers.

When I visited Spacey K's soundcloud I found some boring tunes but I liked the effects I heard at the party even if he was still killing his own energy for me. The guy is weird but hey, weird is good ;p