Memory

Veracohr

How is your memory? Any quirks?

My memory has never been that good, especially long-term memory. I don't remember a lot of my childhood. Mostly big things, but also small, inconsequential things.

I was just thinking about something, and it occurred to me how odd it is the way I come to a certain conclusion. I was thinking of how long I haven't eaten meat. I'm not exactly sure, but my current answer is "about 13-14 years".

What's weird is how I come up with this answer:

- First, I remember where I lived when I stopped eating meat. Not exactly, I know I was in one of two apartments which I lived in within a short period of time.

- Second, I remember that one or both of those apartments is where I lived when I had my 'raving' phase.

- Third, I remember that my raving phase spanned only about two years and occurred around the year 2000. I know this because I spent New Year's Eve 2000 (1999 moving into 2000) with the people I went to raves with.

- Therefore I know I stopped eating meat around 1999-2000.

This seems to me to be a very convoluted way to remember the date of something. Also, if I'm trying to remember something from when I was a kid, I almost never remember the year or what age I was. I remember what grade I was in. Then I have to do the math to figure out how old I was.

It's very weird.

I think it is very normal, as far as I know, that is the way the brain works. It makes several links and relationships among many different things to create memories. To reach a certain memory is like going from point A to B in a network, you have to pass through several intermediate steps until finally arrive at the desired one.

I like doing that exercise, to think about the process on how I remember things and realize how at first all the things seem completely isolated and unrelated, but there are these subtle links which tie them up together forming a logical and coherent idea. Its fun to discover this path that takes you from one thinking to another.

God forbid I remember everything, I would go gaga:) I think that a person who has a very good, or photographic, memory can not relax properly. I am terrible at associating faces with places with dates with facts, and that's ok with me.

My memory is unusual. I can usually remember a place even if I've only been there once, like I could probably get around ok in Split.

Names I usually cannot remember unless they are really unusual like the coworker I had years ago from Somalia named Abdi Jamma.

I can remember back to when I was 3 riding in my bright red wagon.

mine is a shocker for most stuff but.........close to photographic when music is concerned.

times dates, where i bought it, what i was having for lunch that day while listening to it.

memory is all association for me, i just wish i could apply it to everything else.

my knephew is exactly the same, when we are together we tell storys about what we did as little kids (he only 2 years younger) and the detail of his storys are so detailed to the point, he could tell you anything that happened that day, and i beieve it's the experiences we had held so dear, we remember

My memory is weird. It mostly throws away all the good stuff and keeps the crap. Also, my short-term memory is a bit wonky; I do things but suddenly I might stop and wonder what the fuck I was just doing... I mean, I know that I just went back and forth to the grocery store for example, or a party, or whatever, but did it really happen? Kinda difficult to explain as I have memories of things happening but a kind of an uncertainty about whether I've been imagining things or not. Kind of like everything I do and experience fails to leave anything to hold on to. Difficult to explain (yeah I know I said it already). It's just weird.

My memory is great, only i forgot names. If i meet you now and you tell me name, 3 secs after i will forget it totally and will wait someone to call you by name or i need to ask you again :o stupid :lol:

I've good memory, I still can remember a lot of stuff without problem.

Then I woke up from a going out night, I often forgot 1 or 2 little thing, since I do a lot of thing when I go out.

I don't have big difficult in reminding people's name, but I need to hear it at least 3 times in order to not forget it

My memory is great, only i forgot names. If i meet you now and you tell me name, 3 secs after i will forget it totally and will wait someone to call you by name or i need to ask you again :o stupid :lol:

+1

It's so damn difficult to remember names right after i am introduced to someone.

I think that's the case with many people

When i was in Australia I used to ask "how do you spell your name?" so the person doesn't know I forgot his/her name :lol: (but if the name is Ben or Rob, you look very stupid :lol: )

My memory is weird. It mostly throws away all the good stuff and keeps the crap. Also, my short-term memory is a bit wonky; I do things but suddenly I might stop and wonder what the fuck I was just doing... I mean, I know that I just went back and forth to the grocery store for example, or a party, or whatever, but did it really happen? Kinda difficult to explain as I have memories of things happening but a kind of an uncertainty about whether I've been imagining things or not. Kind of like everything I do and experience fails to leave anything to hold on to. Difficult to explain (yeah I know I said it already). It's just weird.

I get like that with sleep deprivation.

Me too, especially people I don't think I'll ever see again. Like random people I meet at a party. It's like I have a mini-blackout when they say their name, sometimes I can't even say it back immediately as in "Nice to meet you X." I just say "Nice to meet you...."