Underated cds from 2009

psydmt

A release that hasn't been mentioned much yet is oCelot - one.

Posted Image

I warn that I may not use words the way others use them to describe elements.

Some Ocelot purists may not like his deviation from the semi-dark side of the force. This particular release has made me interested in that side of his work.

One is mostly groovy, uplifting and electro-melodic. As far as I'm aware it has it's own funky style of sound. Some mysticism. Some trance. It has both up and down-tempo(predominately) elements and is mixed as one piece and designed to be listened so.

A description I can give for it is that it is as a sonic shimmering mirage with gusts of electro-heat and sun flares riding through it. Great journey.

I was considering writing a full review but found it to be too painful and it was ripping some of the soul out of my relationship to the piece and therefore just wasn't enjoying it as much.

Jon

Elea - Stellar Connection also deserves to be mentioned IMO.

Posted Image

Rotwang has done a review for it here.

I've only given this 3-4 listens and am reluctant to say much about it for now. My feelings toward it have only been positive thus far.

Not the greatest album of all time but well worth checking out depending on your tastes. I see how some may not enjoy.

I'll definitely keep an eye on the artist in future.

Jon

Also, my favourite album of 2009 so far is this:

Posted Image

Not heard anyone else praising this album, though I expect it's too soon to know whether it's underrated or not.

How can we tell already what is underrated or not when not even a year has passed? Time will tell what becomes classics or not. Some albums needs time to grow in general mind/eye, especially in these waters of electronic music when record lable doesn't have loads of budget for promotion.

A release that hasn't been mentioned much yet is oCelot - one.

Posted Image

I warn that I may not use words the way others use them to describe elements.

Some Ocelot purists may not like his deviation from the semi-dark side of the force. This particular release has made me interested in that side of his work.

One is mostly groovy, uplifting and electro-melodic. As far as I'm aware it has it's own funky style of sound. Some mysticism. Some trance. It has both up and down-tempo(predominately) elements and is mixed as one piece and designed to be listened so.

A description I can give for it is that it is as a sonic shimmering mirage with gusts of electro-heat and sun flares riding through it. Great journey.

I was considering writing a full review but found it to be too painful and it was ripping some of the soul out of my relationship to the piece and therefore just wasn't enjoying it as much.

Jon

What! you loved that album?

IMO this release lacks of everything: no originality, not enough changes from one song to another: there's always that percussion african or whatever influence.

His sound quality is amazing, but you really tripped listening to that?? his songs are going no where, the main melodies keeps coming back. It's like a circle album. Didn't do it for me! tough i'd say.

Ozmali!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can we tell already what is underrated or not when not even a year has passed? Time will tell what becomes classics or not. Some albums needs time to grow in general mind/eye, especially in these waters of electronic music when record lable doesn't have loads of budget for promotion.

I agree, but at the same time I don't think there's anything wrong with drawing people's attention to recent releases that they may have overlooked due to a complete absence of hype. This is especially true for a genre where CDs have a habit of going out of print within a year or two - it may take time to know whether something is a genuine classic, but by that time it's often too late to buy it (at least for a sensible price).

I agree, but at the same time I don't think there's anything wrong with drawing people's attention to recent releases that they may have overlooked due to a complete absence of hype. This is especially true for a genre where CDs have a habit of going out of print within a year or two - it may take time to know whether something is a genuine classic, but by that time it's often too late to buy it (at least for a sensible price).

Ok, I'm with you there. I have only bought 3 releases as far as 2009 goes. Underrated, overrated? I don't know, I like them anyway.

Intrusion - The Seduction Of Silence (ambient/dub techno)

Ozric Tentacles - The Yum Yum Tree (space rock)

Yagya - Rigning (ambient/dub techno)

Thanks everyone, I really need some recommendations for this year... I'm feeling a bit behind (or, rather, I've been sucked into the world of techno where it's all single tracks on Beatport and such--not a lot of full album releases worth mentioning).

Here is what I have so far:

http://www.ektoplazm.com/projects/essential-selections/2009/

It's in need of a serious update though.

Thanks everyone, I really need some recommendations for this year... I'm feeling a bit behind (or, rather, I've been sucked into the world of techno where it's all single tracks on Beatport and such--not a lot of full album releases worth mentioning).

Here is what I have so far:

http://www.ektoplazm.com/projects/essential-selections/2009/

It's in need of a serious update though.

Hujaboy - Cut The Power

MUTe - On/Off

VA - Abra Macabre

VA - Borrowed Time

IMO this release lacks of everything: no originality, not enough changes from one song to another: there's always that percussion african or whatever influence.

His sound quality is amazing, but you really tripped listening to that?? his songs are going no where, the main melodies keeps coming back. It's like a circle album. Didn't do it for me! tough i'd say.

Ozmali!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yah agreed, there's some repetition.

Huge variation in a release isn't always in an artists idea.

I'll listen to it again soon with your words in mind and write some more about it. :)

Ozmali!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you think it's not original then can you state some other older releases or artists that you think sound similar to this, but are better. I'd like to hear them.

Listened to it again today at work. Still enjoy it! The repetition you're referring to is I assume the stuttering, shimmering, electro-melodic style he's used throughout. That's what I like most about the album! :lol::P

The texture work, layering and bass that backs it up is always varied from track to track. The African percussion element is nowhere near as prominent as you've suggested, IMO. The sound quality is excellent as you said. Some of his electro-instrumentation has a great organic touch to it and I like the mild glitchy feel that he's also sometimes incorporated. I never get bored or tired listening all the way through the CD like I do with heaps of others.

IMO this album reminds me of the heat and wind element and is something I'd listen to in the summer time, especially afternoon.

I never said that I loved it or tripped hardkore off it, nor is this a best of 2009 topic, but out of the 200 or so Psychill/Downtempo releases I've been listening to recently, it stands out as a style of sound that I enjoy listening to. I admit that it has the potential to maybe get a bit boring after some time has passed or if listened to excessively. That I have to wait and find out for. :)

Jon

Guest antic

Also, my favourite album of 2009 so far is this:

Posted Image

Not heard anyone else praising this album, though I expect it's too soon to know whether it's underrated or not.

Well, personally I found it a bit disappointing - at first listen I got the impression that all tracks sounded too similar, sharing sounds / vibes / atmospheres and further listens only confirmed that unfortunately... There are some nice effects, structures / patterns and even melodies here and there, but it never really "jumped at me" the way Alien Mental, Furious, Psykovsky or Kindzadza did. I've never with this album felt like "damn, I never heard such stuff before!".

As to albums that I felt didn't get due recognition yet, I'd nominate Furious' alter-ego Delirious Noon "Launch for Lanctus" and Atriohm & Encephalopaticys' "Ukalen". First one for being the best morning full-on I ever heard, pulling it off without being overly cheesy, with great attention to detail, awesome effects and nearly goa/old-IM-ish melodic work in some of the tracks; the other one, for mindbogglingly dense atmosphere, creative approach to the darkpsy genre and loads of variety inside and between the tracks. Furthermore, it's one of very rare releases lately, where they've not pushed the compression to the max, which makes it sound a bit quieter than the rest, but on the other hand what's the volume knob for anyway? As a result it sounds so much more alive, organic and less digital than 'competition'. Furthermore, it opened my eyes to this CD, which was fucking good too and apparently completely ignored by the scene.

Well, personally I found it a bit disappointing - at first listen I got the impression that all tracks sounded too similar, sharing sounds / vibes / atmospheres and further listens only confirmed that unfortunately... There are some nice effects, structures / patterns and even melodies here and there, but it never really "jumped at me" the way Alien Mental, Furious, Psykovsky or Kindzadza did. I've never with this album felt like "damn, I never heard such stuff before!".

Sorry to hear that, hope it grows on you. I agree that it's mostly been done before, but seldom done so well IMO.

As to albums that I felt didn't get due recognition yet, I'd nominate Furious' alter-ego Delirious Noon "Launch for Lanctus" and Atriohm & Encephalopaticys' "Ukalen".

I don't think you could really call those "underrated" - both have received a fair bit of publicity here on psynews.

[Ukalen], for mindbogglingly dense atmosphere, creative approach to the darkpsy genre and loads of variety inside and between the tracks.

I'm surprised by this. I like Ukalen a lot, but I wouldn't say there's loads of variety between tracks - tbh if you played me an except at random I probably couldn't even tell you whether it were by Atriohm or Encephalopaticys. Perhaps I'm missing something.

If you think it's not original then can you state some other older releases or artists that you think sound similar to this, but are better. I'd like to hear them.

Listened to it again today at work. Still enjoy it! The repetition you're referring to is I assume the stuttering, shimmering, electro-melodic style he's used throughout. That's what I like most about the album! :lol::P

The texture work, layering and bass that backs it up is always varied from track to track. The African percussion element is nowhere near as prominent as you've suggested, IMO. The sound quality is excellent as you said. Some of his electro-instrumentation has a great organic touch to it and I like the mild glitchy feel that he's also sometimes incorporated. I never get bored or tired listening all the way through the CD like I do with heaps of others.

IMO this album reminds me of the heat and wind element and is something I'd listen to in the summer time, especially afternoon.

I never said that I loved it or tripped hardkore off it, nor is this a best of 2009 topic, but out of the 200 or so Psychill/Downtempo releases I've been listening to recently, it stands out as a style of sound that I enjoy listening to. I admit that it has the potential to maybe get a bit boring after some time has passed or if listened to excessively. That I have to wait and find out for. :)

Jon

It's just that theres nothing groundbreaking.

I'm not excited while listening to it. Good sound, but im not like oh yeah! I'm just indifferent to the atmosphere he creates. It's reeally too repetitive for me. Makes me think of some solar field work.

But it's true, hes got an original sound. But no originals idea. The release seems to go nowhere, you know what i mean i think. the songs just flows well, but without a goal, theres no direction at all, no BIG moments. I tend to agree thats this is not shitty, interesting, bvut i lost focus, i just listen to it again, and i just cant finish the album. I suck on explainings things tough.

Ok, I'm with you there. I have only bought 3 releases as far as 2009 goes. Underrated, overrated? I don't know, I like them anyway.

Intrusion - The Seduction Of Silence (ambient/dub techno)

Ozric Tentacles - The Yum Yum Tree (space rock)

Yagya - Rigning (ambient/dub techno)

hey whats that yum yum like?

yagya-rigning: pretty good

Kettel-Myam james part 2: always a masterpiece if you ask me

filteria-days of our lives

Wisp-The shimmering hour

jon hopkins-inside

thats it for now

Well I wouldn't say that Yagya or Filteria are underrated :huh: