Mastering !

Sideffect...

according to you off course, although mastering should have the same conclusion for each listener I guess,

mastered by silicon sound (or their original name), always good imo

Ott used to be, don't know if that's still the case ?

that's why this topic,

share your experience, cause I have less when it comes to mastering (not the concept but 'who mastered')

and it's becoming more and more important these days in electronic music imo...

Well when mastered by "Ultimae", or Huby Sea and Vincent Villuis, it's always maintaining a high quality.

This is evident also, since the album "Distand System - Sprial Empire" also was mastered by Ultimae.

Matthew De Nobrega aka Artifakt.

Also Tim Schuldt, he gives a roughy sound to the albums, perfect for Goa and forest Psy.

Although the best mastering ever is in Furious albums. But I guess this is both because of the mastering and the final mix.

I prefer mastering that's been done with minimum distortion (and by distortion I mean essentially everything that changes the sound). Just volume setting is really enough, and some subtle EQ to bring things together. Compression should be kept to a minimum to preserve dynamic range. If loudness is required (which it absolutely ISN'T for either psytrance or ambient/chill imo) it can be accomplished by other means than heavy limiting. For example subtle analog distortion (or emulation of such) and EQ to slightly bring up the "loud frequencies" (upper mids).

In my opinion the loudness war has become plain ridiculous.

Such a thing is hard to tell, because the final mix is way more important than the mastering..

artists with the best sound are with no doubt the russians.. Furious, Kindzadza and Osom have the best sound. Some artists come close and maybe as good, but never better sound

Don't tell me it is not true because than you don't know anything about sound quality

artists with the best sound are with no doubt the russians.. Furious, Kindzadza and Osom have the best sound. Some artists come close and maybe as good, but never better sound

Don't tell me it is not true because than you don't know anything about sound quality

Well, I guess I don't know anything about sound quality, because in my opinion artists like Infected Mushroom, Ace Ventura, Domestic, Astrix, Son Kite etc. have just as good sound quality as the artists you mentioned - if not better. I might not like the music from all these artists, but judging sound quality isn't really a matter of musical taste.

Well, I guess I don't know anything about sound quality, because in my opinion artists like Infected Mushroom, Ace Ventura, Domestic, Astrix, Son Kite etc. have just as good sound quality as the artists you mentioned - if not better. I might not like the music from all these artists, but judging sound quality isn't really a matter of musical taste.

well from most artists you named is the sound as bright as them but not as much dynamics.. maybe son kite is as good (at least minilogue their sound is) but not Astrix because his sound is too overcompressed and more flat

Infected Mushroom their sound not all, way too old

the point is that the artists I named their music is more dynamic in sound and because the sound is less linair and more full it is harder to mix and master

+1

:lol: :lol: Man, your SO in love with Artifakt :rolleyes::)

Can I ask a sound question? Maybe it's about mastering, just need some input on thought..

On some albums, actually, a lot of albums (guess it makes perfect sense) I can play it on a nice sound system, listen. Listen to it on a crappy home entertainment system with sub and small speakers, headphones, only treble speakers ect and the music will have different things it will ,,show" you.

One reason is of course that with treble speakers you can hear sounds better, in headphones you will get a more close listen, on a massive sound system you will Feel the music better in it's ways. Im stoned and not sure how to ask But can people who master decide how it will sound on different sounds? Is this often a very conscious choice. Of course it is, some want big sound, some want generic sound, some want that sound and some want that. Bu how far can one go within the psychedelic sound realm? I'm super sure I have heard new stories within some albums portrayed differently depending on which sound source I have.

: :drama:

:lol: :lol: Man, your SO in love with Artifakt :rolleyes::)

Can I ask a sound question? Maybe it's about mastering, just need some input on thought..

On some albums, actually, a lot of albums (guess it makes perfect sense) I can play it on a nice sound system, listen. Listen to it on a crappy home entertainment system with sub and small speakers, headphones, only treble speakers ect and the music will have different things it will ,,show" you.

One reason is of course that with treble speakers you can hear sounds better, in headphones you will get a more close listen, on a massive sound system you will Feel the music better in it's ways. Im stoned and not sure how to ask But can people who master decide how it will sound on different sounds? Is this often a very conscious choice. Of course it is, some want big sound, some want generic sound, some want that sound and some want that. Bu how far can one go within the psychedelic sound realm? I'm super sure I have heard new stories within some albums portrayed differently depending on which sound source I have.

: :drama:

I would say that has more to do with mixing than mastering. What different soundsystems provide is essentially different attenuation or accentuation of different frequencies in the spectrum. So, for example, if you want a mix to sound "bass heavy" on a crappy laptop soundsystem, you could try boosting the harmonics of the bass instrument, for example. If you want your music to really show some extra depth on a system with proper low-end, on the other hand, you can do this by keeping the lower parts of the spectrum with some "musical integrity", i.e. not just as an enforcement of things going on higher up.

thank you. So a producer with some complex mind could make an album that would behave differently on purpuse from system to system. lol

Yes, to a brief degree. The purpose of mixing and mastering is generally pretty much the opposite, though.

disagree, it's your fav subgenre, the ear gives more attention according what you like,

best mastering can't be linked with one specifiek sound from a specifiek region,

you have good and bad in each subgenre....

thank you. So a producer with some complex mind could make an album that would behave differently on purpuse from system to system. lol

can't be true,

what can be is that you notice that some albums sound better mastered, If you listen to an album through headphones + speakers + second soundsytem

it's perfect appreciable...

Rastaliens - freestyle for example I can't listen to on headphones mp3 player, it's not powerful enough, it looses everything they tried to achieve,

If the mastering was done differently it would have been brilliant, although the bad mastering it still had a big success because of the content.

On my speakers I adjust the EQ... Make the best of it, bought it original off course to have the best mastering copy...

disagree, it's your fav subgenre, the ear gives more attention according what you like,

best mastering can't be linked with one specifiek sound from a specifiek region,

you have good and bad in each subgenre....

You're right, but Russians darkpsy artists seem to have some of the best sound quality, something that begins with their good mixing ability.

Did I mention Furious? Best quality ever.

You're right, but Russians darkpsy artists seem to have some of the best sound quality, something that begins with their good mixing ability.

Did I mention Furious? Best quality ever.

+1 furious sound is great,

but it's not better for example panick - lab o matic

furious is one example, each (sub)genre has an example of top 10 best mastered albums imo

didn't I read somewhere Tim Schuldt mastered the new crop circles ?

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that has more to do with mixing than mastering.

Yes, more or less. Mastering should not have to entail big feats of sound manipulation; the mix should be perfected by the mixer, not the masterer. But it is (or should be) the job of both the mixing and mastering engineers to make the music sound best in all possible situations, whether it's on a big audiophile sound system, a club or coming out of a crappy TV. That's what they call "mix translation", meaning it translates the same from one place to another. Ideally, you should not be hearing different things when you hear a song on different sound systems; if you are, then you have frequency masking going on, probably in the form of too much low end.

Yes, more or less. Mastering should not have to entail big feats of sound manipulation; the mix should be perfected by the mixer, not the masterer. But it is (or should be) the job of both the mixing and mastering engineers to make the music sound best in all possible situations, whether it's on a big audiophile sound system, a club or coming out of a crappy TV. That's what they call "mix translation", meaning it translates the same from one place to another. Ideally, you should not be hearing different things when you hear a song on different sound systems; if you are, then you have frequency masking going on, probably in the form of too much low end.

Sure, that's the standard way of doing it. But it's also possible to use sound manipulation in such a way as to enable what would traditionally be called "bad mix translation". That's what psytones hypothesized about.