Would you care for a non free psytrance magazine?

Ormion

I know that there are already some free (or very cheap) magazines about psychedelic music and culture, but I mean a big magazine and not free of course.

My best friend is a metalhead and always buys some metal hammer and stuff magazines which I always envy tbh.

Would you like to have a magazine like that? With many pages, many and detailed reviews, interviews, articles etc. Something bigger than the free magazines we have today?

I think it would have been a cool idea, since I really like to collect magazines and I find it better to have all the reviews in a paper.

Ummm ... there already is Revolve Magazine: http://www.revolvemagazine.co.uk/ ... and it's not free...

Doesn't seem to be a hit though.

I have three issues ... and read some articles in them, but I'm not very interested...

And for german speakers there's the Mushroom (because its "international versions" are a cruel joke). This one I have more issues and also read a bit ... I sometimes get it for free on parties...

I would not pay for a magazine though. The magazines don't really cover what I'm interested in ... just one or two interesting articles in an issue is not a reason to buy.

That's what I have this Psynews forum for ... to get latest info what's hot in the scene and have a chat about it B)

I also like metal and would never buy a magazine. The latest infos and stuff can also be found in label catalogues ... a friend of mine gets those, especially the Napalm Records one is good.

That's what the psy scene would need: label catalogues! But our labels are too small :(

Ummm ... there already is Revolve Magazine: http://www.revolvemagazine.co.uk/ ... and it's not free...

Doesn't seem to be a hit though.

I have three issues ... and read some articles in them, but I'm not very interested...

And for german speakers there's the Mushroom (because its "international versions" are a cruel joke). This one I have more issues and also read a bit ... I sometimes get it for free on parties...

I would not pay for a magazine though. The magazines don't really cover what I'm interested in ... just one or two interesting articles in an issue is not a reason to buy.

That's what I have this Psynews forum for ... to get latest info what's hot in the scene and have a chat about it B)

I also like metal and would never buy a magazine. The latest infos and stuff can also be found in label catalogues ... a friend of mine gets those, especially the Napalm Records one is good.

That's what the psy scene would need: label catalogues! But our labels are too small :(

I have some issues of Revolve magazine too (I thought it was free except for the cd version). It's a good effort IMO.

But I mean more like a big, real magazine, not a 20 pages booklet style.

Something like the DJ magazine, but exclusively for psy.

Sounds like a good intention, but I bet it would end up hyping just the newest fullon killargh artists.

Not to mention three full page ads about the new fancy CompactSticks, financed by Psyshop :rolleyes:

Summa summarum: I bet it would be of too little interest for me. Maybe there'd be a proggy section, but the artists and releases I really care about would be featured just in a niche. Not to mention that there aren't that many...

Ergo: if you brought one out, I'd seek for free issues on Parties, but I'd not buy one. Just the way I do it with every electronic music magazine...

I'd rather see an interesting, relevant, and timely psytrance blog covering the same sort of stuff you might find in a magazine. Subculture-oriented print media is becoming obsolete. You can't embed video in paper, after all.

Interesting.. I'd actually like that aswell. Something de-centralized, with album reviews and party events, gatherings etc.

There were allready a couple of free magazines. Trancers Guide is one that used to be delivered freely before it was closed down.

Have you heard about Psychedelic Traveller magazine? It is formed with the involvement of some of the old Trancer's Guide staff and promises to be something similar but more forward-thinking. I believe they plan to format the magazine web site with a wiki for regions not covered in the print version, for instance. It sounds pretty cool so far; just have to wait a few months to see how it all pans out.

http://www.psychedelic-traveller.net/

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43864871370

Have you heard about Psychedelic Traveller magazine? It is formed with the involvement of some of the old Trancer's Guide staff and promises to be something similar but more forward-thinking. I believe they plan to format the magazine web site with a wiki for regions not covered in the print version, for instance. It sounds pretty cool so far; just have to wait a few months to see how it all pans out.

http://www.psychedelic-traveller.net/

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43864871370

Hey thanks, didn't know about that. :)

I know that there are already some free (or very cheap) magazines about psychedelic music and culture, but I mean a big magazine and not free of course.

My best friend is a metalhead and always buys some metal hammer and stuff magazines which I always envy tbh.

Would you like to have a magazine like that? With many pages, many and detailed reviews, interviews, articles etc. Something bigger than the free magazines we have today?

I think it would have been a cool idea, since I really like to collect magazines and I find it better to have all the reviews in a paper.

on principle yes... BUT there are a few problems:

1. you would be investing in an already obsolete media... everything is online now, making a new paper magazine now would be the equivalent of investing in equipment to record tapes in the 90s. A much better solution would be to distribute it via .pdf online, but then you'd need a way to charge people online and as you know, most hippies don't have credit cards...

2. most people in the psy world are used to leeching stuff for free so even if a lot of people are interested, I doubt many would actually pay for it.

3. the only way to make money off it would be to advertize big commercial events and DJs which would be kindof against the principle of having an underground magazine in the first place...

I am pretty sure the scene is too small for another mag. Mushroom which is pretty international already has big problems surviving. Then there is another few that tried to set up a mag, in portugal for example. And revolve which is not as big maybe as mushroom mag. But is going quite steady.

Biggest problem will be to find enough advertisers i think..

I am pretty sure the scene is too small for another mag. Mushroom which is pretty international already has big problems surviving. Then there is another few that tried to set up a mag, in portugal for example. And revolve which is not as big maybe as mushroom mag. But is going quite steady.

Biggest problem will be to find enough advertisers i think..

IMO if Mushroom doesn't fare better it's because their team is incompetent. First of all, if you want people to want to spend money on it, don't make it look like a flyer you'd get for free!! It can't be much more expensive to print it in A4 format. Second of all, if you want to have success, print it in fucking ENGLISH!!! (and not the online-translator type english that they aparently use for the International version...) come on, how hard is it to find some people who speak good english to write a few articles?

Well, I don't think there is a real market out there for that...

First of all the scene fell into many different pieces last few years, and because of that it is almost impossible to make a magazine that interests everybody (unless you work with 5 chapters, each about a different goa genre)

But if there is an interesting article, with loads of info, interviews and not just promo texts (like Mushroom) I would definately buy it. (I'm not sure if I would spend money on it online, simply because reading a book/magazine on a screen is not what I like => only if it is a .pdf and you can print it yourself I would spend money on it)

Only magazine i will EVER pay for is this :P

Posted Image

That just happens to be one of the most obnoxious magazines in the world. Stupid teenage-humour, useless articles and pictures of dolled-up attention-whores.

That just happens to be one of the most obnoxious magazines in the world. Stupid teenage-humour, useless articles and pictures of dolled-up attention-whores.

Are you gay? :P

How many useful articles did you expect to find in a magazine like this? :huh: You don't buy the Penthouse or Playboy magazine to be informed (just so foreign people get the idea of what kind of magazine it is)

And yeah, some of the humour is a little.... dull, wouldn't call it teenage humour... Many older people reads it... I would call it a "toilet magazine" for a Plummer company or something

I would if it was sold in real life shops. It is just not the sort of thing I would buy on the internet (I'd never get round to it) magazines are impulse buys for me.

If you could get them in shops though I'd get it, I love proper reading (not just on the computer) in bed, on the bog, in the train etc.

How many useful articles did you expect to find in a magazine like this? :huh: You don't buy the Penthouse or Playboy magazine to be informed (just so foreign people get the idea of what kind of magazine it is)

Actually Playboy (at least the local version here) has become more of a humour magazine then what it's original purpose was. Honestly, the guys write some real funny shit, but the number of actual 'content' has come to an all-time low. I guess since they don't offer much content they had to start writing some interesting read, otherwise nobody would buy it. It's pretty much become a magazine for a fun-read, no 'exciting' content if you catch my drift.

the answer is no,

internet is enough,

and compared to other music genres, I have the feeling when it comes to electronic music

people less mind who the person is behind the music,

in my case, I REALLY do not care,

genres, labels, releases all what you want,

but what colour of underwear infected mushroom is wearing (in a matter of speech) is pure waste of time,

in rock that is indeed different, those magazines are often combinations of lots of advertising about clothes, gadgets etc...

and some full backgrounds for upcoming talent according to that magazine,

I do not want read info about a band that I never heard before, even my favourite band can suck my balls :P

the music they provide and the contribution to the entire psychedelic "scene" can be interesting but is always to the point and shortly mentioned

in a good review,

I guess the whole scene is to small for such project.

I think mushroom magazine is enough.

And it would probably be hard to get a copy of the magazine in the regular stores because they only buy and sell the magazines that sell good. It takes much time and work for the stores to send back magazines they dont sell so the ones that dont sell good they decide not to take.

I agree with Basilisk it would be better with a really good blog with news about the scene and that is where it is heading today.

It would be really great with a good planned blog with reviews, interviews and also good partyreviews.

I would prefer if it wasnt updated so often, maybe a big update every month, maybe a nice PDF version.

IMO if Mushroom doesn't fare better it's because their team is incompetent. First of all, if you want people to want to spend money on it, don't make it look like a flyer you'd get for free!! It can't be much more expensive to print it in A4 format. Second of all, if you want to have success, print it in fucking ENGLISH!!! (and not the online-translator type english that they aparently use for the International version...) come on, how hard is it to find some people who speak good english to write a few articles?

yes, exactly ... that's the reasons why I'd never get an abo ... this thing looks and feel like a flyer ... and it almost never tells me things I don't know already (what will be in the current issue ... an Atmos promo text review? dooooh!)...

the thing with the magazine is a nice idea, but I fear it doesn't stand ground.

The thing that convinced me to get a subscription for Mushroom magazine, were the CDs that I got. Kinda like a present of music, because I didn't have any special ideas which ones I want.

But if it was just for the magazine, I probably wouldn't subscribe. There are just a few articles and tons of ads. If there were more things written there, or for example something about the history of goa / psy - like a column that would be written regularly, that would really be nice. The idea of a magazine is indeed great, it's just the content that could be better. And about getting news; nowadays getting informed through internet is faster and easier, so getting a blog would really be nice. Before that happens, I check out psynews/isratrance.

I don't think I would pay for a psy magazine when the internet covers most of what a magazine could ever offer. Unless maybe I could get a cheap subscription for that big psy magazine you are imagining.