albums or eps that we all think are milestones in the psy scene

NEMO.BOFH

IMO, BPC - Overbloody Flood EP on UFK does NOT class as PsyTrance or is not even close to being Goa. Why? Well, have a look at other labels like Eye-Q or Harthouse, and you will hear why. It has none of the elements of Goa/Psy, but it does have ALL the elements of classic Trance. Yet we say in our scene it belongs to our scene. How weird isn't that? :)

I mean, this track was probably less played in Goa than Vernons Wonderland, but yet Wonderland is not tagged Oldschool Goa :)

Now you go!

(I have a couple of other objections as well)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technossomy's Synthetic Flesh, Miranda's Phenomena, anything by Asia 2001, Juggling Alchemists, Paradise Connection, early Bypass Unit, The Enlightened Ape, Scatterbrain's Infernal Angel, anything by Alien Project, and Tits On Fire. Not that these aren't good necessarily--but I don't see what the fuss is all about.

Are there any more sacred cows around here that need slaying? :drama:

Technossomy's Synthetic Flesh, Miranda's Phenomena, anything by Asia 2001, Juggling Alchemists, Paradise Connection, early Bypass Unit, The Enlightened Ape, Scatterbrain's Infernal Angel, anything by Alien Project, and Tits On Fire. Not that these aren't good necessarily--but I don't see what the fuss is all about.

Are there any more sacred cows around here that need slaying? :drama:

How dare you :o

X-Dream "Irritant" - terrible and unpleasant album I'm sorry...

Acquired taste this one. At first I couldn't stand that transition they've made from melodic psychedelic morning epic tunes like "Their Own Happiness" to heavy hitting Techno tracks but I got it later. Till today Radio and Irritant are my reference albums when I am testing speakers.

IMO, BPC - Overbloody Flood EP on UFK does NOT class as PsyTrance or is not even close to being Goa. Why? Well, have a look at other labels like Eye-Q or Harthouse, and you will hear why.

Well the boundaries between the two are sometimes very difficult to define. Koxbox used to release on Harthouse and some of Eye Q material could in my opinion pass as psychedelic trance. Lisen to Sven Vath - Harlequin The Beauty and The Beast. It's got some serious layering and intricate psychedelic sounds flying all over the place....or Earth Nation - Alienated.

Then you have Michael Kohlbecker releasing on both Harthouse and Blue Room.

I'd say that BPC song is a classic...maybe not a Goa classic...but a classic nevertheless :)

Most early Etnica. Yes there is some excellent stuff, but on the whole I prefered their later more techy stuff that everyone else seems to hate. :o

Ditto with The Gathering. Again some nice stuff on it, but on the whole it is probably my least listened to IM release.

I dunno, "Radio" is one of my favorite albums ever... "Irritant" though I have never been able to aquire a taste for - "Radio" has all sorts of great sound effects and melody - "Irritant" is just repetitive and grinding as I hear it...

If in making "Radio" they used 200 different sound effects, "Irritant" was made with 20, or so it seems...

I'll have to try again at some point to see what all the fuss is about though..

Ott - Blumenkraft

Say what you want, I don't like it. The first song is good, yeah. But the rest not IMO. Never understood the fuss that chill fans made about this one...

Are we supposed to be surprised about that? :lol:

I think Hallucinogen is NOT a milestone, find it a blend of stupid melodies and old production wich annoys the hell out of me.

Twisted for me was definitely a milestone. At the time it was so utterly mindblowingly different & it still manages to pop my brain out of joint when I listen to it.

The Lone Deranger on the other hand falls down halfway through the first track, gets worse and worse until it's unbearably cheesy at the end :unsure:

Just my views :rolleyes:

Are we supposed to be surprised about that? :lol:

I think Hallucinogen is NOT a milestone, find it a blend of stupid melodies and old production wich annoys the hell out of me.

I remember times when members were banned because of bad tastes :angry:

I have never considered "The Gathering" a milestone... Of all the IM albums (except Vicious (un)delecious) it is the least interesting. I think.

- A

+1

Ott - Blumenkraft

Say what you want, I don't like it. The first song is good, yeah. But the rest not IMO. Never understood the fuss that chill fans made about this one...

+1

Umm...I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I find a fair amount of chilll uninteresting. Its not bad or anything but all of it sounds similar and it isn't psychedelic enough for me.

I also don't like GNOR that much, they need more rhythm and melody. As "acid techno" they're fine but not as "acid trance".

I hate to say, you all failed at this topic. I am not talking about what you hate or dislike, I am talking about releases that people THINK are psy/goa but does not have the elements of it at all. BPC is a perfect example of this for ME. If you hate KoxBox, that is one thing, but I think that KoxBox has way more psychedelic elements than alot of the music released at the time of the first few KoxBox releases. Please, do not make this topic a "I hate Etnica, so I do not think they made a milestone" take REAL milestone releases that are considered psy, that do not have the PSY elements. Cant find one?! Dont let your taste drift this topic apart from what it is ;)

:D

/Das Bast00rd