Aphex Twin

Redington

• 6 months later...

Yes!!! I finally start to seriously consider aphex twin and AFX as genius, there's something so hard but yet beautiful in there music, complexity, i love them now, but it took me a couple of month to like and even love their work. IMO its one of the few IDM artist that really stood out not only in the IDM scene, but in the electronic genre in general.

Yes!!! I finally start to seriously consider aphex twin and AFX as genius, there's something so hard but yet beautiful in there music, complexity, i love them now, but it took me a couple of month to like and even love their work. IMO its one of the few IDM artist that really stood out not only in the IDM scene, but in the electronic genre in general.

Yes, sometimes it takes a while to appreciate good art.

Selected Ambient Works 85-92 is right with Are You Shpongled for me, in terms of my late teen transformation into a tripped out psyhead... this forum reminded me I haven't listened to SAW in way too long, and I lost my original CDs.... will have to purchase again or find a FLAC version on P2P (I never feel bad about redownloading an album I have paid for in the past, not to say I am sin free in terms of pirating....)

Selected Ambient Works 85-92 is right with Are You Shpongled for me, in terms of my late teen tranformation into a tripped out psyhead... this forum reminded me I haven't listened to SAW in way too long, and I lost my original CDs.... will have to purchase again or find a FLAC version on P2P (I never feel bad about redownloading an album I have paid for in the past, not to say I am sin free in terms of pirating....)

Just listened to SAW the other day. - I make backups of my most beloved cds!

Selected Ambient Works 85-92 is right with Are You Shpongled for me, in terms of my late teen tranformation into a tripped out psyhead... this forum reminded me I haven't listened to SAW in way too long, and I lost my original CDs.... will have to purchase again or find a FLAC version on P2P (I never feel bad about redownloading an album I have paid for in the past, not to say I am sin free in terms of pirating....)

i must admit, selected ambient is growing on me, its one complex album, yet relaxing and yet wonderful and yet absorbing, just like shpongle AYS

aphex twin is underatted, or at least, i was underestimating them

i must admit, selected ambient is growing on me, its one complex album, yet relaxing and yet wonderful and yet absorbing, just like shpongle AYS

aphex twin is underatted, or at least, i was underestimating them

Aphex Twin is a one man act: Richard James

Selected ambient works 85-92, I care because you do, Richard D. James album and Window licker EP is indeed awesome on multiple levels. However, I do think he is overrated and I hate the drill and bass stuff he does. Sadly he has composed many drill and bass tracks, and based on this fact he cannot be considered a genius in my opinion.

A artist which makes great ambient and acid house: Yes. A musical genius? In my opinion, no

• 4 weeks later...

Has this guy even made anything new in like the last ten years? Last thing I remember him releasing was that "26 mixes for cash" or whatever it was called... and that was a compilation

If he hasn't it's a shame and he's wasting his talent

I bought the Drukqs album when it came out... I dunno, I like the drill n bass stuff when I'm in the mood for it

Has this guy even made anything new in like the last ten years? Last thing I remember him releasing was that "26 mixes for cash" or whatever it was called... and that was a compilation

If he hasn't it's a shame and he's wasting his talent

I bought the Drukqs album when it came out... I dunno, I like the drill n bass stuff when I'm in the mood for it

check out his Analord series/compilation.

• 6 years later...

I'm not much into his breakbeat & IDM stuff but my god I love and absolutely love the SAW's! I love them so much that they take control of my emotions, pull me away from reality and show me the things I've buried deep inside my head. I am sometimes scared to put on SAW II

Always enjoy seeing him live or dj but never enjoy his music outside of the show setting. Got to see him in the UK in the 90's where it was actually live with a bunch of analogue gear & no computer. Super inspiring. Last time was a few years

Ago here for a dj set. Great music selection & mixing.

• 2 weeks later...

I still like Aphex Twin, but it seems as I grow older, I prefer more and more his ambient stuff or his early tracks like On, Polynomial-C, Xtal, ect. IMO, everything he did before 1998 is very special. Definetely one of the greatest but his recent work leave me cold appart form a couple of gems like Metz, the tuss.

I think his best work since 1998 has been Analords.

My opinion of Aphex Twin is that he makes outstanding novelty pop records (and I know that sounds patronising, but I really don't mean it to be - there's nothing wrong with making novelty pop records if they're good) but his more "serious " stuff just sounds pretty boring to me. Though I haven't listened to his early albums in years, I guess I should check them out again to see if they've grown on me.

I haven't really gotten into Autechre yet. I guess I should check them out as well.

Best band in the history of the universe, evargh. Pure aural architecture.

Seven years later this is pretty much still my opinion.