Aphex Twin

Redington

Who here even has heard a song past Come to Daddy from RDJ? :)

I think he should definitely be considered to be one of the best innovators in recent memory when it comes to breakbeat and such.

What do you guys think of him?

Im a fan since the early days and I love his music.

<< Analogue Bubblebath (WOW, emotion pure?!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ivh7mywXvQ...feature=related << Digeridoo (Tribal Madness!)

<< Polygon Window (Aphex Twin for those who do not know this alias) Quoth (Mad Tribal Techno, still mix it in sets from time to time!)

One of the most beautyful albums I have ever heard is: http://www.discogs.com/release/2509 (Polygon Window - Surfin on Sine Waves)

some of his tracks are just mind blowing, but at the same time there some tracks that i don't like at all. i saw a live show of his US tour and it was terrible!!! well, he was playing drum n bass and i don't link dnb but even my friend who's crazy about aphex twin and drum n bass didn't like it.

no doubt that he has an exceptional talent though...

some of his tracks are just mind blowing, but at the same time there some tracks that i don't like at all. i saw a live show of his US tour and it was terrible!!! well, he was playing drum n bass and i don't link dnb but even my friend who's crazy about aphex twin and drum n bass didn't like it.

hahahaha, his dNb is fucking brilliant, but its too damn complex sometimes. :)

I find that it's hit or miss though. But I still appreciate his efforts for a concept he's trying to perfect in a particular song I may not love to death. I like most of his work and trying to get some of the works he did under different aliases like Polygon Window, Caustic Window, etc. It's difficult, at the very least.

The tracks nemo mentioned are definitely up there on the favorite list. Though, I would like to hear what he would sound like if he did more tracks like Come To Daddy. Or maybe some more dark ambient kind of stuff. Strictly DnB is fine but it gets kind of boring after awhile if he listen to it over and over. But with a guy like James, nothing is exactly repetitive unless it's more of an ambient track.

He's been to popular to be interesting for me all along. Listening to Aphex Twin seems like such a poser thing to do. All these kids listening to "electronic music" always have Aphex Twin at the top of their heads.

Yes, I'm fucked up.

I like his early Aphex Twin (Digeridoo!) and Polygon Window stuff (namely Quoth!) the most.

New music by him isn't so appealing, what I've heard.

If you mean the Analords then probably. I haven't listened to all of them but from what I have listened too, it's either you like them or you hate them.

Last month I bought I care because You Do and Selected Ambient Works II. The first has soon passed as one of the best CD's I ever heard, the second will take time to grow on me since it's not an easy release to get used to :unsure: - but I reckon it's a masterpiece.

Are you sure it was a live? He does a lot DJ appearances, including Coachella, which is one of the big stops in the US.

-

I like his work, the richard d james album was a big for me at the time. Nevertheless, I always found AE a it more interesting, so while i don't hear any Aphex Twin constantly, a copy of Tri Repetae never leaves my ipod.

Are you sure it was a live? He does a lot DJ appearances, including Coachella, which is one of the big stops in the US.

-

I like his work, the richard d james album was a big for me at the time. Nevertheless, I always found AE a it more interesting, so while i don't hear any Aphex Twin constantly, a copy of Tri Repetae never leaves my ipod.

you are right. it was most probably a dj set.

i heard his set at coachella wasn't good either. maybe he tries to play more mainstream (mostly dnb) stuff in US :unsure:

He's been to popular to be interesting for me all along. Listening to Aphex Twin seems like such a poser thing to do. All these kids listening to "electronic music" always have Aphex Twin at the top of their heads.

Yes, I'm fucked up.

haha i once met an idm poser bitch, that was jolly fun!

check out this guy: icteder

if you like his music, send him money.

haha i once met an idm poser bitch, that was jolly fun!

check out this guy: icteder

if you like his music, send him money.

Yeah it was a bit harsh, my other reply. Just trying to be open with my feelings because that's truly how I feel. I listen to Aphex Twin once in a while anyway.

Is "this guy" you? :rolleyes:

i don't understand why and how aphex twin, autechre, squarepusher, plaid,... are so popular here. they are all good (well, never liked squarepusher though) but all the people that i met here who like IDM are only familiar with The Warp Records artists. is it same in europe?

e. maybe they don't know for example, the sending orbs since they are based in europe, but they should at least be familiar with bluetech!!! no? :unsure:

you are right. it was most probably a dj set.

i heard his set at coachella wasn't good either. maybe he tries to play more mainstream (mostly dnb) stuff in US :unsure:

The coachella set (thought you were talking about that one) was sick... literally. He jammed in there everything from Run DMC to System of A Down, to ape-shit crazy DnB (current value) ... You can find a precarious recording of the set online... google it up.

i don't understand why and how aphex twin, autechre, squarepusher, plaid,... are so popular here. they are all good (well, never liked squarepusher though) but all the people that i met here who like IDM are only familiar with The Warp Records artists. is it same in europe?

e. maybe they don't know for example, the sending orbs since they are based in europe, but they should at least be familiar with bluetech!!! no? :unsure:

1) how can you not like squarepusher? Try "Hard Normal Daddy", it's a classic, his most cohesive work as of yet, not counting a few loose tracks here and there. It sure as hell wasn't "just a souvenier" ... piece of junk, i'm still really, really disappointed with that. <_<

2) Actually it wasn't until recently that i started checking out sending orbs, but "Mings Feaner" is already in my top 10 all times classic. Either way it's not really the same vibe as Warp, is it? Then again it was all about Warp about 8 to 10 years ago, because they were doing such different stuff, you know? The material they were releasing was simply breaking boundaries for good... not anymore, obviously... last time that happened it was probably with Luke Abbott and his Tuesday EP, in Border Community...

The coachella set (thought you were talking about that one) was sick... literally. He jammed in there everything from Run DMC to System of A Down, to ape-shit crazy DnB (current value) ... You can find a precarious recording of the set online... google it up.

1) how can you not like squarepusher? Try "Hard Normal Daddy", it's a classic, his most cohesive work as of yet, not counting a few loose tracks here and there. It sure as hell wasn't "just a souvenier" ... piece of junk, i'm still really, really disappointed with that. <_<

2) Actually it wasn't until recently that i started checking out sending orbs, but "Mings Feaner" is already in my top 10 all times classic. Either way it's not really the same vibe as Warp, is it? Then again it was all about Warp about 8 to 10 years ago, because they were doing such different stuff, you know? The material they were releasing was simply breaking boundaries for good... not anymore, obviously... last time that happened it was probably with Luke Abbott and his Tuesday EP, in Border Community...

will check em out !

• 1 month later...

:o Where can I listen to the D'n'B tracks by Aphex Twin?

Shiit, the time I saw Aphex Twin live, Satan's Tornado ( :blink::lol: ) was the warm-up (mad guy from Japan) and APX's set was .. well .., great if you want it to be. But quiet and disturbing. Like go2thepear mentioned. There was a lot of queries people there, drunk and high people. Aphex was on a thing about shutting them up. i guess

My opinion of Aphex Twin is that he makes outstanding novelty pop records (and I know that sounds patronising, but I really don't mean it to be - there's nothing wrong with making novelty pop records if they're good) but his more "serious " stuff just sounds pretty boring to me. Though I haven't listened to his early albums in years, I guess I should check them out again to see if they've grown on me.

I haven't really gotten into Autechre yet. I guess I should check them out as well.

Best band in the history of the universe, evargh. Pure aural architecture.

• 2 weeks later...