How do you listen to music?

abasio

I was just wondering how people on this forum listen to their music.

Every time I listen to an album I give it my all, my undivided attention. This way I manage to discover the beauty in so much music I'm sure a lot of people find excruciatingly boring.

So I would like to know, how many of you dive deep into music, buy albums give them time, repeated listens & let the music unfold & how many of you are just casual listeners, that only like music that gives you that quick but short lived (in a lot of cases) fix.

Now I'm not saying that all music I find instantly good wears off quickly but in my experience most of it does. This is how pop works & when trance or chillout does it I always think of it as poppish.

Just wandering your views if you can understand this random meandering post!

If I want the full experience I like to relax with my Sennheiser headphones on, and I enjoy very much taking a small toke of DMT at the beginning of each track - so each track unfolds along with a different manifestation of a low-level DMT space, and I can enter quite deep into the music - the music takes on an expanded dimension... Most any entheogen will do, but my schedule is hectic these days and DMT fits the bill for this application due to short duration and exceptional effects on music...

I only do this occasionally - preferably the first time I hear an album - after that I usually listen to them in my car or on the stereo when I'm doing housework or some such... I usually only listen to them on headphones that first time... Planning another purchase here soon actually :P

For me great albums usually remain great, and even get better - I'm seriously blown away by the quality of the older albums - every time I listen to Koxbox "Dragon Tales" I'm just amazed - same with Sandman "Psycho Toones", X-Dream "Radio", Hux FLux "Cryptic Crunch", old IM, and a few others - albums like that are timeless, IMO... Pleiadians "IFO" sounds a bit dated to me but not the other great ones...

Listening to music can be not really simple...

When I buy/get a new album or just want to listen to music and trip away (aka try and get in Trance), I am alone in my room, usually with headphones as I perceive the music better. I often close my eyes and try to stay focus and actually listen to the music and not let my mind wanders.

The problem is when I find an album great, there are two different reactions. Sometimes I just keep listening to it (20 times in 2 days). But this is not really good because after that I'll get fed up with the music for a long time. So, paradoxally, when I find an album great I try not to listen to it very much.

Another reaction (happened to me with Khetzal) is that at the first listen I'm blown away, almost getting in Trance, but when I listen to it a second time I find it not enjoyable anymore. Then starts a process of rediscovering, which is a bit annoying since I know that I liked the album......

And when I find an album bad/boring then I'm a little in red alert. Sometimes I find albums bad only because I don't have patience to listen to it/I focus on things I don't like (the album that gave the most troubles is Trandimensional, after that Violent Relaxation and TiT 3). So I need to take time and several listens to actually decide/understand that this album is not what I like or that I just need more time (can take up to 1 year!).

Usually I decide immediately if this album is great and the other listens are only to discover the music completely. Sometimes it doesn't happen... Then I need to "work" more on the music. But when I find the music instantly good, it usually means that it will stay good.

I try to just sit back relax and put on my Sennheisers, at least on the first couple of listens. At this point there is some music that I simply know I won't like no matter how many listens I give it. For the music that seems good/ok I give it another few listens (though not as "focused" at the first listen, often just on regular speakers rather than headphones, and sometimes while driving). After hearing it 5-10 times it usually becomes clear how much I actually enjoy it. This is when a lot of music that seemed good at first starts to get boring, and music that didn't seem that special starts to seem good. Of course there is some music that is just good from the start. I'd say it's about 50/50 for me whether my opinion of the music will stay the same or change after repeated listens.

This whole process depends on the type of music too, if it's rock/blues/reggae music I tend to be less "thorough" in my listening than I would be with electronic, classical, or jazz.

Most of the time in the background when working or studying, but I think thats not the best thing to do. I go like :posford: sometimes, but more often like <_< and press next.

Depends on the music, of course. If I waited for an album for months, I sit down and absorb the vibrations carefully :) I may notice something from background listening, put it aside and listen in the sitting mode.

mostly i listen when I work. when I am at work and i need total concentration, I put on something that I really like, turn up the volume to the max and then work. OR when I work at home with my web stuff, thats also a good time to listen to music :) If I am walking outside all alone, then also :) Mostly I listen from start to end. I am not so much for skipping tracks, you miss out a lot on the goodies :) I skip through most techno though, most house as well. Then I compile what I think is the best and listen from start to end :)

When I put the CD in my stereo, I usually just lazily lay on my bed, doing nothing, thinking about how great or crappy is the stuff I'm listening to.

When I place the CD in my CD-Rom, I sit in front of my computer and try doing something smart on the internet until the running time is up.

When I listen to my iPod, I'm most likely outside with my dog, and just walking through some forest/park with my hands stuffed deep into my pockets or sumthin'...

:lol:

It depends on my schedule. Yeah, when it's best I lean back in my sofa and listen to the music from loud speakers. Music to drift away is perfect for that. Faster music I prefer listening to close to my equipment so I can fuck with it if I'm in the mood. Or just turn the volume up and down.

And obviously depending on what I've been consuming my receptors work differently. I have some Brian Eno albums that I liked without loving. Then I heard Apollo Atmospheres & Soundtracks late on night stoned and it completely swept me away. Same with a couple of Sending Orbs albums. I was kinda indifferent to a couple of the albums but falling asleep to it one night was almost a religious experience. First time the label really made sense to me.

Then again there are albums I simply don't get and am afraid I may never get. I bought Burial's debut cd that everyone seems to praise. And I don't get it. At all. I don't get it to the point where I don't even feel like giving it a chance with my receptors all out because I have NO idea why I wanna like it.

Generally, I listen far to few times to my cds. There's just too darn many in the mail all the time :pissed: Or I mean -_-

:ph34r:

Mostly I listen to music while working at the computer - be it working for my thesis or posting on forums. In the past there were many mp3s I listened to, but nowadays more and more often I put real audio CDs into the drive.

I also enjoy it while painting, the CD being in the comp or in the DVD player. I only paint sometimes though.

Running of course aswell. Meanwhile I go jogging with my mp3 player (and not my MD anymore) with newer music on it aswell occasionally.

Going for a walk and listening stuff is also really good. Tend to listen to psy during walks only when I have a hangover and want to walk it off though - the psy then drives me to move and go on despite the headache.

Sometimes I also like just enjoying the sound on the sofa - with and without headphones.

Household work is also done better with sound. I only very seldom do household work though :P

And sometimes I like to go to sleep to the sound ... ambient stuff only though... -_-

I was just wondering how people on this forum listen to their music.

Every time I listen to an album I give it my all, my undivided attention. This way I manage to discover the beauty in so much music I'm sure a lot of people find excruciatingly boring.

So I would like to know, how many of you dive deep into music, buy albums give them time, repeated listens & let the music unfold & how many of you are just casual listeners, that only like music that gives you that quick but short lived (in a lot of cases) fix.

Now I'm not saying that all music I find instantly good wears off quickly but in my experience most of it does. This is how pop works & when trance or chillout does it I always think of it as poppish.

Just wandering your views if you can understand this random meandering post!

I stopped being a casual listener when I bought No Comment by Front 242 in 1993 and I thought they where talking about Minnesota.

Nowdays I think too much music is made to be casually listened to and not to touch on real feelings or expiriences.

It is a good and bad thing to get really into something. It makes you isolated in a way, but you appreciate so much more as well. Also IMO there is music and then there is art. They can be one and the same but not usually.

as background music, keeps me company... if i`m cross i play very loud music...........fortunately trance is too fluffy to be angry for long!

Hmm normally its when I'm studying... If I'm feeling sleepy I will put some more energetic stuff on, if I'm more "awake" (had enough coffee) I will put some ambient or downbeat on. It really helps me read :), as long as there r no long samples <_< In that sense no-lyric music is perfect, its "working on" totally different areas on the brain than reading (and understanding it). When there is lyric it really disturbs my ability to concentrate about what I read!!! :angry:

I also use it as background if I'm playing civilization :rolleyes:, reading a book, cooking, cleaning (not so often I admit it) etc. but that doesn't mean I'm not really listening to it... U know what I mean??!

I usually only listen intensely (with full focus) when I just get the CD, except for when I'm in a bus or something then there is noting else to do!

and I use trance to make it on time (try at least) to my lectures in the morning... Makes me bike like a maniac! :ph34r:

when I first time listen to tracks I listen them on normal volume and sometimes go for- and backward to check the whole track. Then if I discover something good I play the track again but with maximum volume blasting over my logitech speakers making my doors rattle and sitting on the sofa, often shaking my body to the tracks and enjoiying the atmosphere and remembering good old times, when I have heard the tracks the first time. I also like to listen to music when I am outside over my mp3 player, indeet it´s very nice when I am in a park or forest landscape. With this ways of listening I get the music best. It can be a uniquie experience to listen to psytrance in this ways.

I stopped being a casual listener when I bought No Comment by Front 242 in 1993 and I thought they where talking about Minnesota.

Nowdays I think too much music is made to be casually listened to and not to touch on real feelings or expiriences.

It is a good and bad thing to get really into something. It makes you isolated in a way, but you appreciate so much more as well. Also IMO there is music and then there is art. They can be one and the same but not usually.

-(-1)

• 2 weeks later...

Many ways...

If Im just listening for enjoyment I try to clear my head of thoughts as much as possible and let the track do its thing, without letting style, producer, or anything get in the way of really appreciating the music.

If Im listening as a DJ I think about how it would fit in a mix, what general feeling the track has, a lot of times I think of the 'color' the music makes me think of, which Ive found helps make a mix flow better.

If Im listening as a producer I try to hear what sort of base sound was used and what kinds of effects made it the trippiness it is, basically I try to break down the sound and see if I could theoretically reproduce it. This producer mind often comes out during normal listening, usually an OMG THAT WAS AWESOME I GOTTA LEARN THAT!! :P

There's also car-listening, which isnt listening per se more like background ambience. Sure passes the time on the lonely Nevada highways, though!

this is very true unfortunately. Most chill out tracks are like that IMO and many many ambient tracks, I just can´t get into them because they are way too slow and if I am concentrating at the music I am getting nervous.

this is very true unfortunately. Most chill out tracks are like that IMO and many many ambient tracks, I just can´t get into them because they are way too slow and if I am concentrating at the music I am getting nervous.

Why do you get nervous listening to it? Is it too grand for you?

Why do you get nervous listening to it? Is it too grand for you?

Because when I listen to music I want the atmosphere to begin fast, not to have a 10 minute build up, it gets extremly boring to hear same sounds for many minutes and it can´t create a warm psychedelic atmosphere for me. I tried the slow Infinity project tracks you love but they simply are too slow.

Because when I listen to music I want the atmosphere to begin fast, not to have a 10 minute build up, it gets extremly boring to hear same sounds for many minutes and it can´t create a warm psychedelic atmosphere for me. I tried the slow Infinity project tracks you love but they simply are too slow.

A high octane guy? I quite understand, I used to be just like you. All chillout bored me to tears. then my bubble burst, the weight of the world was thrust upon me & my tastes got more & more chilled as the years went by. It's nice if this never happens to you but the music is really deep & really really psychedelic.

IMO ambient is much more psychedelic than any uptempo music