You know what I dislike the most here...

devious

... in the United States about psy parties? Every single god damned one of them is hippie oriented geared towards the people who are all into chakra alignment, spiritual shit. There's never anything that's just "PSYCHEDELIC" oriented or even space-related. It's always a bunch of dirty (hi overdose =]) smelling hippies and their spiritual practices induced by drugs.

And did I forget the "commercialization?" And what's up with americans and this term STOMP. They no longer dance, they always refer to it as STOMP(ing) and it just does not make any sense. Oh, and I forgot to also mention the 500 plus new psy dj's coming out every week proclaiming to be the next best act.

HEHE? HEHE!

It's not really so much a scene here, but rather something that L.R.Hubbard would be doing right now if he were alive. He succeeded with Scientology, well, whoever the hell is turning this hippie only connection to psy here is obviously becoming very VERY rich!

=]]]]]]]

Okay, end of anti-american psy rant.

No wait, ah shit nevermind. I'll shuddup.

IS IT LIKE THIS EVERYWHERE ELSE? Does it cost 45 bucks for a headliner you've never even heard of party? Despite it being 3 days outdoor event? Does it cost 85 dollars because they say it's spiritual for a five-day outdoor event with no good headliners, though Vegetal was a cool person to meet, I did not see him play that time.

What is it like in your place of origin? Commercialized? Friendly? Inviting? Discouraging? Here, it's a cross between commercialized smelly hippies that create a very discouraging atmosphere. Yeah!

=]

Aaron

P.S. Psy is getting big in my hometown but I have yet to attend, which is cool because we have a huge EDM scene, but until I manage to get to one of our local shindigs, despite them being very small and usually indoors, I will plead the fifth on my state. :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well FUKEN ALRIGHTTTT!!!

it's about time i didn't feel like the only one thinking this way.

you are so right.

first off you must be way more interested in the "spiritual" aspect of things, the music is secondary (what?)

the STOMP- man , i have been complaining of this for years.

i think it started when the djs started getting coked up.

people don't know how to or just plain don't dance, they freggin just want to jump up and down, and then the music goes the same way.

"psychedlic" ??? the last few times i went out it was like one of every ten tracks was actually psychedelic, the vast majority are

bump bump bump and little else

seems like the focus totally shifted from dancing crazy to crazy psy music to "making the scene", and being part of some weird religious trip, which it just isn't, at least not form the way people i've seen do it. having a weird ritual once a month and then living the rest of your life as a materialist does not make you a holy person

stomp.

the stomp is a nice way of avoiding, what should I say, disturbing people when their mindtrancing. The foot that stompes with can keeps the trance active and body in groovey while in your head ind visions your dancing your ass of if you know what I mean ;) .. well, I know what I mean whith stomping. What do you mean?

I like to move my armes and body while mtravelling and often have to hold it in to net get all bananas lol. But it's nice to just chill and stomp as well.

:)

hippie.

I live in cph, and here psy is clubbing. And there's few stinking hippies and lot's of candy ravers and the avareg joe (i think many of them are much like me and you). Personally - I would prefer the spiritual impacts on psychedelic trance music then the candy drug one. At least the hippies knows how to make trancediving music. Thou, what your talking about is the trend around it all .. unconciouss and conciouss trends

Visit Toronto. Make the trip up for Harvest. Come out for Eclipse (in Quebec). The scene isn't huge here, but there's very little of the flakiness you speak of. Harvest is coming up in just a few weeks--check out their web site, even if you're just curious. The language they use, the conventions, and the general approach is miles away from the stuff you're ranting about. Another great event I often speak of is the Kajama boat cruise--essentially, 200 people take a trip on this historic 1930's schooner, sailing around Toronto harbour to the accompaniment of quality electronic music.

On the opposite side of the coin, I have fully enjoyed the West Coast vibe, with all of its associated mystic practises and new age customs. I think there's a difference between the outright flakiness widely exhibited in some locales, and the genuine application of the lofty ideas many psytrance fans adhere to. I tend to visit B.C. once a year and always get right into their particular way of going about things... but musically speaking, B.C. has no appreciation for the "stomp" or darkpsy or neurotrance or traumatrance or quantumfrungle, or whatever it is being called down south these days. This is another thing I enjoy about B.C.: I can hit up a festival and hear the most luscious progressive and downtempo all weekend long, BPMs often never rise above 140, and the spirit remains blissful throughout. That is a bit of a leap from the typical understanding of musical progress over the course of a night, but you know what? It is soothing to the soul. What I absolutely cannot fathom is what the "Aum" festival must have sounded like: devastating head-ripping noise all weekend long (this is based on reports I read and established expectations).

Anyhow, I hear what you're saying... but luckily things are NOT like that everywhere, and lucky for you, your friendly neighbours up North offer a reasonable alternative if you ever wish to go to the trouble :)

Hey bas!

I was planning on doing such next year. MR. FIXER stated how wonderful it is up there to party and he wants to make more frequent trips to Canada for such. I am thinking of doing one event as early as possible next year to see how much I dig it. Are your events kid friendly for the most part? :) That's all I ask, my boy-boy goes where I go.

Anyways, just wanted to chime in quickly. I have to rush to bed.

-Aaron

by the way, aum was a great social event. i'm glad i was allowed in for free. after driving 650 miles, i think i only enjoyed the social aspect. the music was the typical american "darkpsy" with absolutely no variant in tone. i think everybody who paid the 85 dollars to get in should have been refunded at least 60 dollars in the end for the lack of innovation. and to think, everyone thinks aum festival will become the largest north american festival for 2009. ugh, i hope not and doubt it, highly.

but i met a lot of great people so regardless of how much i spent on gas, food, and wishing i was at home instead, the people definitely kept me having a keen interest through most of the five days. :) thanks to the east coast crowd i met.

-d

The majority of US artists I have heard in the last few yeas tend to have dark leanings, so its perhaps no surprise that the trance that is becoming known back there is of the darker variety. As for the Twin Cities and dark-psy, that doesn't surprise me at all considering the the Twin Cities also has a fairly solid underground metal scene as well. I often joked that the reason some much dark music is popular in the underground scene there is because the majority of Minnesotans are so annoying that people need the dark music as an outlet for stress release. It is a joke of course, but in the darker moments I sometimes think it's half true. lol

As for ticket prices, comparing them to the prices here in Japan I can only say... damn that's cheap.

stomp.

the stomp is a nice way of avoiding, what should I say, disturbing people when their mindtrancing. The foot that stompes with can keeps the trance active and body in groovey while in your head ind visions your dancing your ass of if you know what I mean ;) .. well, I know what I mean whith stomping. What do you mean?

I like to move my armes and body while mtravelling and often have to hold it in to net get all bananas lol. But it's nice to just chill and stomp as well.

:)

hippie.

I live in cph, and here psy is clubbing. And there's few stinking hippies and lot's of candy ravers and the avareg joe (i think many of them are much like me and you). Personally - I would prefer the spiritual impacts on psychedelic trance music then the candy drug one. At least the hippies knows how to make trancediving music. Thou, what your talking about is the trend around it all .. unconciouss and conciouss trends

I'm with on the candy raver shit or not to mention steroid induces drug dealers by the hundreds :o I'd prefer a bunch of hippies!

That is mainly why I rarely go out to psy-parties in Copenhagen anymore!

Typical festival here in Japan might run you $500 or about 50,000 yen for one weekend. $150 at the gate. Another $50-$70 for parking, sometimes, an extra $20-$50 dollars for your tent sight. Then you still have to buy food, drinks, and pay for gas. The last party I attended here you couldnt even bring your own alcohol into the party, unless your good at sneaking it in. I think the psy scene here is for the rich! :angry:

Is the pope a top DJ?

Actually shit! I'd pay a hell of a lot of money to watch the pope DJ, that would be classic!

Well sure he is good at rousing the crowd like:

Posted Image

but when it comes to actual DJing, it's all boring laptop "DJing":

Posted Image

No scratching, no backspinning, no divine intervention, no nothin'.

Guess again!

Posted Image

Pfft, obvious photoshoppery! Only Pope fanboys fall for that!

Ah but that is the old pope, may he rest in peace.

The new pope I hear is more into dark psy

Posted Image

Treacherous the dark side of DJing is. Genuine the skills learned are not. Much evil in the future see I!

Typical festival here in Japan might run you $500 or about 50,000 yen for one weekend. $150 at the gate. Another $50-$70 for parking, sometimes, an extra $20-$50 dollars for your tent sight. Then you still have to buy food, drinks, and pay for gas. The last party I attended here you couldnt even bring your own alcohol into the party, unless your good at sneaking it in. I think the psy scene here is for the rich! :angry:

... but you ARE rich, aren't you? My friend lives there and she has holidays like once in three months. A weekend free and then to work again :lol: She's taking a six month holiday in 2009 to go around the world, I'm a bit jealous :D And she dared to invite me with her, like "you're welcomed to join me." Goddamn, where does she think I have the money for that kind of tripping? I had the plan for saving, though, and visiting her in 2009. Looks bad now, income 0€ :lol:

Wonderful pictures of old school vinyl pope and the modern age flipped out madman - pope :wub:

I don't know about hippies in the U.S. but the word "psychedelic" actually comes from old Greek and means "soul manifesting." One meaning to "trance" is natural ecstacy, bliss. Soul manifesting natural ecstacy sounds quite spiritual? For me this music is like a tool for digging out that natural blissfull state of being with fierce dancing :P Too bad so many producers make so undanceable stuff with millions of breaks in one tune, it's very frustrating while on the dancefloor :pissed:

... but you ARE rich, aren't you?

It depends on what you classify as rich? If Im compared to people in third world countries, then yeah Im wealthy, but thats not the point. The point is that those prices are outragious. I know that the artists and promoters have to get paid, but maybe if they lowered ther prices, then more people that really couldnt afford to come but wanted to could. Thus giving a larger profit to the event. But Japanese people dont care anyways, they dont question anything, they just go with the flow. If the cost to get into an event were $500, Im sure there would still be a decent sized crowd at a party here in Japan.

like this one pandamonium! :lol:

http://stage6.divx.com/GoA-and-PsyTrancE-F...-Gathering-2006

she isn't even touching the keys and it so shows :lol:

are you in that fucked up crowd?

:lol:

i love this vid!! :P

and Dali kicks ass too :lol:

she's so fake it's even real xD

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image