Virtual Parties

alleycat

I saw a flyer not long ago, somewhere on Isratrance. This flyer was for a party in a place called Festival Island, which as I found out is not anywhere in actual reality. Apparently they're having parties in SecondLife now!

It sounds like a good thing, at first, but then I think back to all the valuable experiences Ive had at actual reality parties. Most of those things are not something you can duplicate with a display, no matter how detailed it is. I can't imagine dancing for hours in front of the computer. Or taking any drugs! Half the fun of partying to me is losing yourself in the sea of lights, people, smells, and of course the sounds!!

Maybe, though, this will be the chance for those around here who never get out much to actually catch a whiff of what its like at a real party... :ph34r:

And, too, the sound will only be as good as your comp speakers. Which in my case are shit.

Its a nice idea, I think they even had a liveact playing. But all in all it seems just like a party in WoW, without battles. Just a bunch of avatars jerking around to the music.

Now, when the sound is booming, and the display is a headset and gloves to manipulate things, and theres a treadmill under your feet, then maybe it could come pretty close. But think of all the cash you'd have to spend on all that gear. It would be cheaper to buy a bunch of cds, cd players, mixer and speakers, and throw your own parties whereever you are.

Thoughts? Comments? Rants against the technological world?

exactly. IMO its for those who are either too young or too socially inept. Or those who have actually lost all contact with reality, their bodies have atrophied in the hunched over typing position, and grown a few extra fingers to type faster. And a mouse tentacle.

Maybe, though, this will be the chance for those around here who never get out much to actually catch a whiff of what its like at a real party... :ph34r:

:D ... Cinos ... isn't he on SecondLife aswell? He mentioned that somewhere ... he might even have been there at that virtual party :lol:

But I'd never ever try to even remotely compare that virtual crap to the real experience. I mean, come on ... if a screen image and sound from your computer speakers can give you the real experience of a psy party then your psy party experiences must have been pretty shallow. Admit it. Just the special smell of cig smoke, fog fluid, weed and incense sticks is one thing I can't have the virtual way and still wouldn't wanna miss at any cost. And the loud music that makes even the little hair on your arms move in rhythm ... and the cool people, the interactions with the world ... and this wonderful feeling of really being there. You never could have that virtually.

I personally find it sad and pathetic to attempt to try adapting this to the real thing. Sure, it is some form of gathering and communication, nothing against that ... for people that can't go out much and such ... can even be nice ... but it's not the real deal, that's a fact. You can't say you have been on a psy party when having attended such a virtual gathering. No way.

Its like a jazzed up chatroom. I guess that could be said about all of Second Life....

To me, being at a party is like taking a journey to another dimension, immersed in madness and wonder around every corner. I imagine getting into the virtual party, then the phone rings or something and ZAP your back in this reality. At a party theres none of the distractions of daily life.

This however seems to be ANOTHER distraction of daily life.

i think FSOL have already done an internet party in the past

Tha album to that Broadcast is ISDN, and me ze likes!

1994 also saw the release of ISDN, which was as close to a live album as most electronic acts get - it featured live broadcasts FSOL had made over ISDN lines to various radio stations worldwide and to The Kitchen, an avant-garde performance space in New York. Its tone was darker and more rhythmic than Lifeforms.

I'm just wondering if you have to pay an entrance fee to attend the party? From what I know you can convert real money into second life money and vice versa so...

Secondlife? am I missing somthing here? is this a rip of Sims or somthing?

SORRY WTF; WHAT LOSERS........

Never in a million years would I sit in front of a computer screen and dance away (wait yes I do, but only when I am getting ready togo out to a REAL party or messing around mixing lol) my god so do they have Virtual Festivals aswell? were people put there tent up their bedroom & pretend tobe outside by opening the window?

Secondlife? am I missing somthing here? is this a rip of Sims or somthing?

SORRY WTF; WHAT LOSERS........

Never in a million years would I sit in front of a computer screen and dance away (wait yes I do, but only when I am getting ready togo out to a REAL party or messing around mixing lol) my god so do they have Virtual Festivals aswell? were people put there tent up their bedroom & pretend tobe outside by opening the window?

lol :lol:

Really, they should try some ACTUAL reality for a change.

But maybe some of them are like me, stuck in the middle of nowhere working in a remote place... Usually I wait til days off in town to go to a party though!

Id really like to try SecondLife at least once... Just so I know whether or not it really is as lame as it seems. THough Im not sure, with the packet-based satellite connection out here, it would work out. ANd when Im on days off the computer is the last thing I want to see.

Really, they should try some ACTUAL reality for a change.

But maybe some of them are like me, stuck in the middle of nowhere working in a remote place... Usually I wait til days off in town to go to a party though!

Id really like to try SecondLife at least once... Just so I know whether or not it really is as lame as it seems. THough Im not sure, with the packet-based satellite connection out here, it would work out. ANd when Im on days off the computer is the last thing I want to see.

Where do u work....

I think u should try... (the secondlife thing) and then u can tell us how lame it is :)

hehe, be the official Psynews ambassador to the strange planet SecondLife? Possibly...

I work on a mine site in central Nevada. Literally right in the middle of nowhere.

hehe, be the official Psynews ambassador to the strange planet SecondLife?

np: Silicon Sound - Strange Planet...

hehe, be the official Psynews ambassador to the strange planet SecondLife? Possibly...

I work on a mine site in central Nevada. Literally right in the middle of nowhere.

Do you have to pay for this my life is shit so I need a second one thingy?

If it's free then check it out & report back here by feb 14th. Maybe if it's good I could spend valentines day there :P