Cat. #: PR008

Distribution: Arabesque

Date: March 2006

Track listing:

01. 06’57” Electrypnose - The Handler

02. 06’46” Electrypnose - Gidi Fake

03. 07’43” Electrypnose - Niapo

04. 07’41” Electrypnose - B2P2

05. 08’52” Elendil - Oz (Electrypnose Remix)

06. 06’25” Electrypnose - Stupid Moons

07. 06’33” Electrypnose - Disfunction

08. 07’27” Cerebral Factory – Cerebral Factory

09. 08’05” Electrypnose - Le Tireur De Ficelles

10. 07’02” Electrypnose - Brain Surgery

11. 03’19” Electrypnose - Bas Les Masques

.m3u-playlist: http://tinyurl.com/fj8r3 (all tracks!)

Review:

The Puppet Master…

Swiss power house label Peak Records is out with its 8th release which doubles as the first full artist album… And who better to do the honours, than fellow Swiss resident Electrypnose? Vince Le Barde has yet to let me down, and in my reviews over the years I’ve often praised him for his unique, unconformity, underground psytrance… The debut album Brain Stretching released in 2005 by ResonantEarth.com was a blast and every single compilation track I’ve heard from Vince has kicked some royal ass… So hell yeah, I’m excited about this second album… Let’s dig in!

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Electrypnose - The Handler [148 BPM]

“The years he spent in isolation have not equipped him with the tools necessary to judge right from wrong. He's had no contacts. He's been completely without guidance. Furthermore, his work, the garden sculptures, hairstyles and so forth, indicates that he's a highly imaginative character. It seems clear that his awareness of what we call reality is radically underdeveloped!” The opening track sets the mood with some eerie, haunting church bells sampled to oblivion… A lengthy and trippy sample from Edward Scissorhands adds to the spooky atmosphere and after a couple of minutes we’re complete soaked into the eerie world of Electrypnose… Edgy, eerie and dark – but with enough acid bits and pieces to keep me entertained… Brilliant!

#02: Electrypnose - Gidi Fake [146 BPM]

“Doctor, we have a successful fusion of reaction! […] Everyone here is mad. I'm mad, you're mad; it's only by chance or careful planning if you're not. How do you know I'm mad? Because you're here, and everyone here, is mad!” The next tracks samples Alice In Wonderland which is altogether one of the most trippy stories ever… The acid-level has been raised, and we’re in full-blown night trance territory now… Heavily syncopated acid-stabs make out the base of track and they are surrounded by all kinds of twirling FX and computer game samples… Mad indeed, but oooh so good…

#03: Electrypnose – Niapo [148 BPM]

“Here’s Johnny!” Another weird-as-fuck IDM intro turns into trademark Electrypnose psychedelia… I swear there are more layers here than I dare to count – and the trip factor is off the chart! Hell yeah, this is like Derango vs. Procs vs. Aphex Twin vs. Autechre… Can you imagine that combo? Well, listen to this track and sample the sweet nectar of sonic LSD! Intense yes, but totally trip-tastic too… I’m digging this track loads!

#04: Electrypnose - B2P2 [147 BPM]

“You helped me get here, but my question is ‘why’? Where is this going? Where does it end? I don't know. You don't know, or you won't tell me? I told you before, no one can see beyond a choice they don't understand. And I mean no one. What choice? It doesn't matter!” This is less weird, but we’re still deep in the Swiss underground… The acid is flowing freely and we’re exposed to a lethal dose of heavily tweaked synth lines, digital drops and electronic farts… The energy level is simply impressive and I double dare anyone not to move to this… The samples from The Matrix Revolutions are not too original, but I guess they are kinda retro-cool… Not the most exciting track here, but it’s still a solid, wholesome piece of Electrypnose wizardry… ;o)

#05: Elendil - Oz (Electrypnose Remix) [148 BPM]

Elendil is an unsigned Swiss project by one of Vince’s mates… As a frequent guest in the Electrypnose studios, this local act caught Vince’s attention with this track – so it was decided that a remix would fit this album…. And I agree! I haven’t heard the original, so I can’t really tell what was changed, but what we’re left with here is a nice little acid-ripper of a night track… Nothing too complicated is going on here – it’s just good old-fashioned psytrance packed with twirling acid-lines and medieval melodies… I guess in a way, this is similar to The Misted Muppet – only darker! So yeah, this is perhaps the most melodic track off the album, so in a sense we’re kinda chilling out here… Chilling out at 148 beats per minute that is… It took me a while to fully appreciate, but now I dig it – and it’s just example of Vince’s diverse musical talent...

#06: Electrypnose - Stupid Moons [149 BPM]

After the melodic ‘break’ it’s time for some more underground madness… The rhythm section here is totally irregular – and a lot of fun! Good luck mixing this one! As always, Vince relies heavily on sampling and within the first couple of minutes there are at least 15 samples from all kinds of genres, movies, etc… Multi-coloured, multi-fragmented, multi-climactic and multi-playful psy-trance… Rich, diverse and instantly rewarding… Sweet!

#07: Electrypnose – Disfunction [148 BPM]

The next track picks up right where the previous one left off… The irregular IDM-beats create the unique, oddball Electrypnose ambience which is totally trippy… And this is as much a tour de force into percussion trickery as it is a venture in trippy, acid-ridden shroom-trance… Highly intense, but in the right setting this is a classic in the making… Nicey nice!

#08: Cerebral Factory – Cerebral Factory [150 BPM]

As with the Elendil project, Cerebral Factory is a local project… It’s started during a workshop session where Vince hooked up with a couple of Swiss guys called Karash & Noon… It’s obvious that other people worked on this track, as it has a bunch of new musical influences… But basically it’s deep, dark, fast-paced Electrypnose trance… Riddled in acid-lines and constantly evolving within a framework of playful night-trance… Reminds me of Penta somehow… A great track, though maybe a tad too fast during a couple of passages…

#09: Electrypnose - Le Tireur De Ficelles [150 BPM]

Enter the puppet master – or Le Marionettiste as portrayed on the cover… And holy shit, what a track!! The tribal intro is as scary as it is hypnotizing – like an ancient, tribal version of The Delta… Add some razor-sharp electro trickery + a mean ass bassline, and you’ll get the idea… Damn, this is eeeeevil… Weird, sick and twisted… I love it! Stellar track!

#10: Electrypnose - Brain Surgery [151 BPM]

“Demons stay in Hell, huh? …Tell them that!” And if you thought that was fast, just wait until you listen to this sinister piece of devilish terror-trance… Usually I get easily bored with stuff above 150 bpm, but somehow Vince manages to make it eclectic and continuously interesting… And that’s exactly the case with this ghostly choon… Sure, it’s fast but it’s also in constant evolution, ensuring a safe passage to the netherworld… I have to be in the right mood though, to fully appreciate this… But when I am, it rocks!

#11: Electrypnose - Bas Les Masques [193 BPM]

The French worded title literally translates into ‘remove your masks’ which is the traditional saying during the end of the Venice Carnival… But apparently it also has an ambiguous meaning in French police talk, meaning something along the lines of ‘stop playing roles’. Anyway, maybe you’re wondering if I typed the wrong BPM count here. But I can assure you, I didn’t… This is in essence an atmospheric chill-out track, but due to the usage of complicated and irregular drill&bass/AFX’esque beat programming it has an incredible high count… Reminiscent of the Murmures Des Ombres track – and this is basically the most interesting chill-out track I’ve heard in ages… What an amazing way to end this remarkable album!

I hate to repeat myself, but Vince never lets me down! And this album is no exception – it’s real fucking sweet and it’s going to be a strong contender for the ‘darkpsy’ album of they year 2006. But simply calling it dark psy is not cutting it! This crosses well over into all kinds of genres, from über-dark techno, over eclectic IDM, to melodic and edgy full-power dance music! And that’s exactly what I love about it - the unique, unconformity, underground sound of Electrypnose! If there ever was rich, unique psytrance, this is it! Hooray for musical diversity!

As usual, Peak Records presents some really classy artwork – and this album looks so great on my shelf… All in all, I’ll give this album my highest recommendations… There’s an influx of awesome tracks, and even the tracks which doesn’t stand out are pretty damn solid… A safe buy for Electrypnose/Peak Records fans as well as fans of genre-bending psytrance…Enjoy!

Favourites: 1, 2, 3(!), 5, 6, 7, 9(!!), 10, 11(!)

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Peak Records: http://www.peaking-goddess.com

Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/634424

TranceShop: http://tinyurl.com/fqzcy

Discobole: http://tinyurl.com/ec4mk

Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/zzocx

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/kb342

Ajuca: http://tinyurl.com/fu6nu

Saiko: http://tinyurl.com/gqcpp

Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/jeuds

Juno: http://tinyurl.com/l79x3

• 2 weeks later...

Very good piece of work. Really psychedelic and weird music. Maybe some tracks are too typical Electrypnose style, but this is great stuff! Favorite tracks are Gidi Fake, Niapo, B2P2 and Oz. Also this album must have the best sound production ever!

8.5/10 and great cover too :D

Now I have had this cd for a few days and at first it did'nt really sound like anything out of the ordinary... But I have admit I was reading for my exame at the same time.

So after listening, I mean really listening without any mental distrations, I realized how brilliant this music is. I must say good job Le Barde because this is some really funky, twisted, mindbending stuff! And its really nice with a darkpsy release with good variations between the tracks and something for the livingroom and I think for the dancefloors aswell, for SURE! Well all fans of darkpsy give this one a listen!!! :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Artist: Electrypnose

Title: Le Tireur de Ficelles

Format: CD

Label: Peak Records

Catalog: PR0008

Released: 2006

Tracklist:

01. The Handler

02. Gidi Fake

03. Niapo

04. b2p2

05. Oz

06. Stupid Moods

07. Disfunction

08. Cerebral Factory

09. Le Tireur de Ficelles

10. Brain Surgery

11. Bas les Masques

Vince le Barde Aka Electrypnose has been embraced by trippers from every range of the psytrance spectre. Darktrancers, morningfreaks and chillers have all been given their piece of the pie...A solid debut on Resonantearth.com followed by numerous outstanding tracks on various compilations has caused somewhat of a buzz concerning this album...

Lets see if it delivers...

01: The Handler

A somewhat mystical melodic line opens the album together with some atmospheric sweeps and samples to create an overall eerie mood. The ambience of it all is broken after a coupple of minutes, and we head on into crazy Electrypnose trance-terretory. The mystical vibes from the intro is brought back into the mix after a while, and together with a bunle of twisted elements and melodies this makes 'The Handler' a great opening track!

02: Gidi Fake

After a robotic, rather weird intro we head straght into the nightime madness in 'Gidi Fake'. I often find the darker side of trance somewhat boring, but this is a bullet electrypnose has managed to dodge time after time, and this is no exception. Very hypnotic, yet varied - spaced out and introverted at the same time. Nice!

03: Niapo

I really love the way Electrypnose sometime tends to build a track on emotions introduced allready in the opening seconds... Here the gentle yet strange melodies are transformed into a full-fledged assault on the senses. Do you like it dark/hard/strange/melodic/monotonus/psychedelic/emotive? If yes is the answere to two or more of the previously mentioned - this is for you!

04: b2p2

This time around the focus is more on melody than on previous tracks. For me this is a good thing. I'd perhaps like to see some more exploration on the main theme of the track. It also feels like this track is perhaps more boring(no...less great would be more correct) than some of the other tracks here. Really, thogh - I can't complain about this stuff.

05: Oz

This track was originally made by someone called "elendil" - a name I can't say I'm familiar with. Here we get Electrypnoses(duh!) remix, and again, there's really not much I can do, except say that this is wicked stuff. Dark, yet heavilly melodic and severley twisted. As I've mentioned before melodies is something I appreciate, even when we move in the darker realms of music. Massive track!

06: Stupid Moods

As the tracktitle implies this is a playfull little thing. Vince fools around with the bothe the beat and the samples and it all comes out as a highly enjoyable number. We're moving on the less melodic side of things as well, but it's still varied enough to keep a solid smile on my face. NOt reall my favourite track here, but I promise you - that doesn't really say to much in this context.

07: Disfunctions

No time to rest here, people! We continue with more crazy music. Layers upon layers of weird rythmic creations, melodies and samples creat a continous flow of LS-Dance'able music. A ceirtan mood is required though, and this isn't(atleast not for me) background music under any circumstances. Now dance, sucker!

08: Cerebral Factory

Cerebral factory is a track made by....Cerebral Factory! This is le Barde and two other guys (Karash/Noon), and no - I hadn't heard of the before. The music is hard, dark and acid-ridden. for me the bass here get's a little tedious and almost a little boring. Probbably because of all the great music in the rest of the album - but I find this more straight forward somehow. Would be a standout track on almost any compilation of dark psy, but for me this is perhaps the weakest link here.

09: Le Tireur de Ficelles

A flute, tribal srumming, and basically a great atmosphere opens this track. I'm instantly drawn to this hypnorythm, and when those churchbells kicks in I just get the shivers. From this point on this is pure, enthusiastic and everchanging psychedelic trance at it's finest. The sonic trickery involved here is almost undescribable - One of my favourite tracks here!

10: Brain Surgery

This track I can't really make up my mind about. I mean I can hear that this is quality stuff, it's spacey, weird and diverse, but for me it's a tad to hard...Tasts differ though, and I guess I'd love this if I was more in to the high-ended side of the bpm scale.

11: Bas les Masques

To finish of the album Electrypnose shows us what an outstanding and diverse producer he is as he lands a fantastic chill track. I had high expectations before this release, but to be hounest I'm looking even more forward to his chill-release on Ajana records later this year. And here the bar is raised a few inches more. Superb!

Final remarks:

I guess it comes to no-ones suprise that the conclusion of it all is as follows: This is a great album! It's an album that should have rather wide appeal in psy-circles as it basically moves in a wide range of directions. A coupple of the tracks I find less exciting than the rest....That aside - If you like psychedelic trance, with an emphasis on the psychedelic part - you really, really should own this!

Tomas(Psychedelic Mustache)

Buy it here:

Psyshop

Beatspace

Juno

Discobole

a very enjoyable album, some melodic/morning elements to some of the songs make it a well rounded release. Im a big fan of the interchangeable night-morning style, you know, like Slug, Gappeq, and now some Electrypnose. Versatility seems to be the name of the game, and its a very fun game!

fav trx- 3, 5, 6, 9, 11

Artist: Electrypnose

Album: Le Tireur De Ficelles

Label: Peak Records

CAT: PR008

Web: http://www.electrypnose.ch

SE.net: http://www.sonic-energy.net/core/content/view/211/2/

Interview: http://www.sonic-energy.net/core/content/view/37/25/

01.The Handler [148]

02.Gidi Fake [146]

03.Niapo [148]

04.B2P2 [147]

05.Elendil - Oz (Electrypnose RMX) [149]

06.Stupid Moods [149]

07.Disfunction [148]

08.Cerebral Factory [150]

09.Le Tireur De Ficelles [150]

10.Brain Surgery [151]

11.Bas Les Masques [96]

What's This About

If we stop to consider Electrypnose has been in the spotlight –for most of us- roughly since last year, starting with the release on Resonant Earth. The name has quickly escalated to a staple of quality passing through rosters in Peak, Trishula, Doof, Yage, Woodroom, Devil’s Mind, Kabrathor records and so the list goes. Where exactly did he come from? Switzerland. No I mean, where was hiding before? Most probably in the studio, working his ass off to perfect the trade up this point. This progression can be traced from the gazillion albums for download at his website up to this point. Le Tireur de Ficelles shows his best work so far, offering such an intricate level of detail you can loose yourself in haphazard fits of abstraction, paired with really coherent moments of lucidity… when he sees fit to pull the strings.

Per-Track

( 1 ) The nursery rhyme envelopes disturbed, puerile thoughts flashing down memory lane. Once the bridge has been lowered, a grinding orgy of distraught scratches assaults time and consciousness. It’s all mashed in a complex interaction bent on thrusting a story with unexpected turns at every corner, as to keep you guessing where is The Handler taking you. In the meantime, the rhythms blurt out a mutation of breaks and glitches in perfect unison. *

( 2 ) Gidifake is a ‘successful fusion reaction’ of fractured leads, grating the typical corroded melodies. Bass-wise it reminds of EVP, with bouncy stabs and funky edge (think ‘Digitalkin’). The progression is very entertaining all the way through, until the voice announces with both arms raised: ‘hey, buddy time to switch tunes.’ Obviously with different words, but still just as amusing. *

( 3 ) Niapo begins with a really cool set of notes before the kicks start assaulting you, with a refined meter that keeps scratching effects, coupled with the methodic clarity of a madman at work. Really funky, directionless, traversing a jag right through different themes with ease and ultimate confusion. *

( 4 ) Doesn’t B2P2 feel like a last minute name change from R2D2? Anyway, this one carries a lot more screechy content than I can normally handle. I don’t know why it has something South African about it, maybe it’s the short recurrent leads that bring out the association, truth be told I haven’t heard anything from that region in a while. The last stretch is most rewarding though and the chromatome helps it shine with the mastering.

( 5 ) The whole concept of calling a track Oz is a very ambitious endeavor in itself. It wouldn’t really come as a surprise if these two cats were neighbors. The whole thing is so well put together, starting with that line before the third minute rolls around. From that point, it just keeps upping the ante unleashing the last vestiges of sanity, seduced by the intricacies of delicate musical rhymes. How can those crungy leads make the brain fart and the neurons wallow? Shining like beacons before they blaze, exulting their last and most glorious rapture. Needless to say this one has been [on] with the repeat button for a few days now. *

( 6 ) As a perfect example of build up, Stupid Moods gently walks to more menacing scenarios with such a paced evolution, it’s a joy to listen how the distraught voices and the shrilling lines, build the final peaker from a seemingly calmed tune. *

( 7 ) In an attempt to keep things more abstract and utterly Dysfunctional, we stumble upon night time breaks with all the daftness of a machine drowning its circuits before it collapses. The poor thing seems to be communicating something in the whirlwind of tonal incoherence with little success. Is that a bad thing? Not if you’re talking about twisted music and I do believe we have reached that point in the album.

( 8 ) Brain Factory is a collaboration between some other folks called Karash, Noon and Vin’s collaborating with the intend of releasing bubbly, dangly metallic beats and more simulated errors, exploding in a timely fashion as if the compound had suddenly taken a life of its own. Creating a jumble of sounds from all those minuscule effects you don’t expect they could amount to much, but they do. The melodic factor is well disguised behind the symphony of noises and abstractions. *

( 9 ) The Cherokee war drums rumble behind a stampede of buffalos. Suddenly I’m expecting an Indian pop out from my left speaker and chop my scalp off. Shortly after, I do end up loosing part of my head when things dissolve in a trail of effects, erupting with a different noise for every note. Before we loose ourselves completely, a lead throws reality back in our face with a series of flangy tones. Le Tireur seems be enjoying dangling our ficelles on this one. *

( 10 ) Brain Surgery stands as a flutter and gnarl of insipient effects, pouring down relentlessly with a final purpose, Bio-programming. By this point though, I have grown a bit weary of the constant sonic overload of machine malfunctions and yearn for something slightly more… earth-bound.

( 11 ) Bas Les Masques in theater terms conveys the time at which actors remove their masks, and from there term has taken a connotation along the lines of ‘no more pretending now’. Music-wise it is a sort of jungle/trip hop/DnB experiment with the lower ranges muffled, on top of a beautiful sonic scenario guided by a piano. Le Barde enjoys making this particular type of melodic fusions, that don’t really depart from the beats but form a different juncture altogether. At one point or another I would like to see what could come from a less beat-oriented track to explore the ambient vein completely. He has the musical aptitude to make interesting things happen. *

And in All

Electrypnose works opening a party, in the middle, or the morning after just as well for me. There was so much great stuff to offer, the only problem I anticipated was choosing material to jam-pack the plastic. And apparently I was right, a couple tracks did not fit in the end and one can be downloaded. This shows that even though the sound does not change much from his stylistic development as the scratchy-glitchy wizard, there’s enough knack to keep the ears busy. If you are still stuck enjoying the ‘previews’, it is probably good for your music collection and your karma to swing by the store and show support. At this point, things can only keep moving forward anyway.

Extras

Bonus Track: Electrypnose - The Day Has Come

( download @ http://www.sonic-energy.net/core/content/view/211/2/ )

Where To Buy

Saiko Sounds >

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5540

Psyshop >

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/pea/pea1cd008.html

Beatspace >

http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=2651

go to Electrypnose's site, he's got a million songs to download, and a song for remixing! Very cool guy, like I would do if I ever release anything... Keep them dancing whether your paid or not!

My first impression is that 'Brain Stretching' was far more interesting. The first half of this seems somewhat full-on orientated. But the last tracks seem very good indeed. Anyway, must do further listening to it.

01. The Handler
02. Gidi Fake
03. Niapo
04. B2P2
05. Oz (Electrypnose Remix)
06. Stupid Moons
07. Disfunction
08. Cerebral Factory
09. Le Tireur De Ficelles
10. Brain Surgery
11. Bas Les Masques

I like the melodies (eerie/cool) sound, and style. They're interesting and catchy. Between the melodic elements however (with exception to atmospheric parts), I occasionally find segments of repetition bring down an otherwise pretty good release!

PROS - Segments of MELODIES. Interesting introductions to songs (thank you)! Alterations, tweeks, mixing, voice samples, sound fx, etc. After the repetitive, harsh part in B2p2 that ends at around 2:18... just listen to how catchy the song is from 2:33 to2:55. Now why can't more of the album do that and avoid the less tasty, yet psychedelic approach? The rest of the song is good. That said,, psychedelic is generally good. Tasty and psychedelic is GREAT.

CONS - Occasionally, if not often repetitive [in beat] sounding and various other sounds, regardless that they're often enhanced. AFTER the engaging intro in The Handler, the song gets repetitive from 1:30 to 2:50 (mixing enhancements aside). A good amount of track 2 is repetitive too. Sure there's tons of fx and enhanced editing/mixing, but that doesn't make the song gripping alone per say. Niapo just sounds random with the sound fx at times. B2p2 overall sounds pretty repetitive too (again, mixing touch ups aside) and has this harsh synth sound from 1:52 to 2:18.

Brain Surgery I find repetitive, boring, regardless of it's little, mixing bits. Without strong synth leads, it's weak.

The synth work around 1:30 in OZ isn't so catchy IMO. The melody that arrives at 1:55 and 5:15 especially is however!

I love good atmosphere, melodies, and changing up the beat, and overall song DIRECTION, developing and evolving the song like he does in his other work and at times is less frequent here. Though it's here, in OZ and some other tracks. Well done!

I wish there were more MELODIES...but I'm not going to complain too much because this album isn't melody-driven as much dark Psytrance in Electrypnose's general style and approach. There are some great elements.

Overall this album is pretty good. I would love more synth lead elements. For example, listen to the albums: Semsis - Letting Go and Menis - Temporal Insanity for some great, melodic/lead synth work! Coupled with Electrypnose's articulative, intricate style, having stronger leads could be incredibly delicious! That said, there are some synth leads here; they're great. Lots of good mixing too! When the synth work and melodies arrive, they compliment the mixing and the whole album engages me on a deeper level. Good release. Great artist!

B

go to Electrypnose's site, he's got a million songs to download, and a song for remixing!  Very cool guy, like I would do if I ever release anything...  Keep them dancing whether your paid or not!

511552[/snapback]

yeah he rocks.. i am downloading his album right now and it sounds very good so i am gonna buy it :)

the song ornic for the remix is a really good song too btw that's how i got my interest in his music

• 4 weeks later...

Good album, had to give it some more spins, I just forgot it for a while. Definetly one of the psy releases this year. Always loved the Peak Records stuff and this is surely that..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

My first impression is that 'Brain Stretching' was far more interesting. The first half of this seems somewhat full-on orientated. But the last tracks seem very good indeed. Anyway, must do further listening to it.

I disagree, I think this one is even better than Brain Stretching.