2005: Good or bad year for Psy?

Ormion

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think it's been better or worse than other years. Some solid releases, some ok releases and a lot of releases that should never have been released (IMO).

No better or worse than any other years. The scene is a bit dead and have been for a while.  Too much music sound the same and it does not really matter what style it is. It seem to me that too many artists aim to sound a certain way instead of finding their own sound.  There are exceptions and thank god for that :)

405771[/snapback]

Actually... I agree with all you said.

did i just see someone say: wild rumpus? :blink: how can ANYONE like that shit? my roommate bought that ceedee, after 1 listen he threw it away.. then i found it and wanted to know what was on there. after maybe two half songs i completely understood why he had tossed it away in the first place. it was even too ugly to serve as a frisbee. man oh man... :(

did i just see someone say: wild rumpus?  :blink: how can ANYONE like that shit? my roommate bought that ceedee, after 1 listen he threw it away.. then i found it and wanted to know what was on there. after maybe two half songs i completely understood why he had tossed it away in the first place. it was even too ugly to serve as a frisbee. man oh man...  :(

405892[/snapback]

One of the best full on compilation of this year. If not the best.

IMHO of course.

I voted for average.. can't really remember how I felt last year. So really I think its a bit difficult to messure, so average it was.. :P

but we had some good releases fore sure.. Nystagmus -The Immaculate Perception was brilliant!

Other good releses:

Shpongle - Nothing Last...

Derango - tumult

Sensient - Pressure Optimal

Entheogenic - Dialogue of the Speakers

Planum - Elaborate

Broken Toy - Broken Toy

and many others i can't remember right :blink:

ahh yeah almost forgot:

V/A - Boldly Audio (Sanaton recs)

The overall quality of releases is a new low.

The worst year ever.

405872[/snapback]

That's a good point. But is it a valid and fair comparsion?

If you look at the total output and weigh the good releases against the bad then the relative number will of course be very low. If you then proceed to compare the relative number to the relative number of any year during the golden era then any year since 1999 will be total and utter crap. Therefore I think it's an invalid and unfair comparsion.

If you how ever look at the absolute number of above average releases you get a better sense of how good a year 2005 actually was. I don't care about the crap releases I want the good stuff, and as far as the good stuff is conserned I think it has been a very good year. I was able to list 18 releases that I found to be above average and it's been a very long time since that happened, and I'm sure there's even more releases that I'm unaware of.

Based on my view 18 above average releases corresponds to 1½ releases per month, and that's not a crap year in my opinion.

i'm not even going by individual compilations, but these labels stood for me based on the fact they had at leat two good releases this year minimum

Sonic Dragon and all it's subfamilies

Zenon Records

Boshke and Horns and Hoofs

Parvati

Deja Vu

Tribal Vision

Inpyside Media

consistently delivered personally B)

For me 2004 and 2005 have been the best years of psytrance.

2005 releases like Boldy Audio, Tumult, The Immaculate Perception and a LOT of brilliant dark compilations like Invisible Incursion were all very exciting stuff for me :)

Guest The Journey Man Project

it depends... if you like cheesey full on crap they sounds like happy hardcore slowed down I"m sure you loved.. but if you like fun psychedellic music that makes you realise that being human is the greates gift from the gods then it was shit... so for me it was shit... some classy chillout, some intersting, but not great, 4/4 trance and a new find that has me over the moon => Databloem records (and no I"ll not shut up about this label, I am over the moon about it)...

I'm yet to get a copy of suntrip records music yet, am buying the databloem back catalogue and it's costing me a lot... but suntrip records is on the list to check out asap...

it depends... if you like cheesey full on crap they sounds like happy hardcore slowed down I"m sure you loved.. .

407491[/snapback]

yes, yes, we're all idiots who don't know what good music is. of course.

i voted very good year

cannot compare it to any other years

2004 was what it was and 2005 was what it was, why compare?

i have at least 1 trance album that i really enjoyed in 2005 and many many danceable chillout albums from 2005 that rock my world, so i am very happy, therefore, very good year

of course, it will never be like 1989 again, but then again do we really want another tribe called quest debut album? :P

it depends... if you like cheesey full on crap they sounds like happy hardcore slowed down I"m sure you loved.. but if you like fun psychedellic music that makes you realise that being human is the greates gift from the gods then it was shit...

407491[/snapback]

Ignorant goa dork

I voted average. There's still too much boring full-on. The two real standout releases this year for me are Capsula's album and Khetzal. Not a bad track on either of their new albums. The Nystagmus and Ocelot albums had some good stuff too. The new Shpongle is very good, but it just couldn't live up to his previous work IMO, and the new Entheogenic is good, but not as good as the last two. Of course there were some surprise tracks from compilations, but they seemed few and far between.

It somehow seems people are willing to low their standards when there's so much shit releases coming out all the time.

"I'll compromise if there's not anything better out there"

Don't compromise!

"I guess this track could've been much better in terms of variation... and well originality too... but I guess it's good anyways..."

If it's shit, admit it.

It somehow seems people are willing to low their standards when there's so much shit releases coming out all the time.

Don't compromise!

"I guess this track could've been much better in terms of variation... and well originality too... but I guess it's good anyways..."

If it's shit, admit it.

409105[/snapback]

Agreed.

If the trance community keeps lapping up shit then artists will continue to produce shit. It's cause and effect.

If everyone was a bit more selective about what they bought I feel artists would work harder at producing original trance lovingly crafted with passion and verve.

Don't compromise!

If it's shit, admit it.

409105[/snapback]

Yep... I have noticed that too.

well, sometimes you just have to lower your expectations if you don't want to spend the rest of your life alone..  :(

B)

409125[/snapback]

You know.. there is life (and music) outside off psytrance too.. ;)