Good dance music will always be 4/4

Ormion

I see that lot of ppl believe that the future of Psytrance will be a combination of Psy with Breaks or D'N'B, means not 4/4 kick.I disagree on that. I believe that good DANCE music will always be 4/4, cause it's the perfect way to move your body and trip with your mind. I'm not bashing Psy-break or something like that, I actually like some stuff from this genre, but I don't think that the future of Psy is a non 4/4 rhythm. Do you agree?

I agree that 4/4 is the ultimate beat to dance to. I find the other beats kinda hard to dance to. Especially the damn RnB I hear at local clubs. I really hate that music, and it's totally undancable. So I just freak out :P

I don't think the future of dancable psy will be non 4/4. But for listen home I don't mind if it's "breaky".

Nice topic. I´ve been thinking about that several times before, because sometimes I´m just so fed up with this simple 4/4 umpa umpa sound that it makes me yawn like hell. I think there´re good examples of how to create a monstrous groove in many Industrial tracks, like e.g. ... uhm... shit, can´t remember atm. Well, OK another useless reply. :(

Gonna have to agree. For me it's a basic pattern to really loose yourself in. It's primal and open. Intricate beat patterns require so much concentration from the dancer. 4/4 is steady and predictable enough to really sink deep into a track. It's forward moving.

I have heard other electronic dancemusic with odd timings and really enjoyed it but I get my groove on to 4/4.

Got into 3/3 before, but only briefly, at the opening Waltz of my Final Year Dinner Banquet :P

4/4 is way better!

I think 3/4 would be better if we got used to it. I think it's more hypnotic then 4/4. Easier to drift away to.

250852[/snapback]

yeah - but it sounds slower ....... a strange comment I know, but it does !!!!

I reckon that the sooner people realize that all boundaries are illusions we could all start enjoying the "good" music out there and ignore the "not good" music ..... 4/4 ..... breaks ....... whatever ....... as long as its good !!!

God - I hope I'm not listening to the same stuff in 20 years ........ :lol:

I had the same discussion with couple of friends yesterday....!! We didn't reach any conclussions, but we agreed we like psy in 4/4....!! For no other reason apart that is sounds better to our ears...!!

I'm really not an expert in music making but since something sounds nice to me i go for it...!!

Guest .::E.P

I see that lot of ppl believe that the future of Psytrance will be a combination of Psy with Breaks or D'N'B

250713[/snapback]

You know that was also said to be the future of psytrance/goa around 1994-1996...so it's not a new prediction ;) And I doubt it will happen anyways. It would already have happened if it was meant to be.

you can just see the difference in the way people are dancing in psy or idm parties..

(broad categories, i know)

i ve found it difficult to keep up with the hardcore dancers in the idm parties i ve been to... (ok, i dont do drugs often, nearly at all-especially not at parties!) but still i got no problem keeping the pace in psy parties...

hmmm i dont know what my point is really.. maybe its that its a matter of the crowd being used to a certain dancing pattern..

or even a ''tradition thing''. if you got into the scene listening to 4/4 tunes all the time and you become a dj you most likely will play 4/4. and i ve seen cases where the dj tried to play a break tune and the people where shouting: Malaka! ! play some trance ! ! because they re totally musically uneducated !

Especially the damn RnB

250719[/snapback]

If your gonna trance-dance, you have to have 4/4 beats.. I hate r'n'b Insejn (not insign).. I really hate it. But for dancing and "picking" up ladies at the dance-floor.. Perfect!!

But I have been a eager MJ dancer as a kid, so I can move my body pretty well, and you know what they say.. "Good dancer, good fuck" .. :lol::P

If your gonna trance-dance, you have to have 4/4 beats.. I hate r'n'b Insejn (not insign).. I really hate it. But for dancing and "picking" up ladies at the dance-floor.. Perfect!!

But I have been a eager MJ dancer as a kid, so I can move my body pretty well, and you know what they say.. "Good dancer, good fuck" .. :lol::P

251412[/snapback]

How the hell do you dance properly to that crazy RnB beat? I tell you, you can't dance comfortable to RnB. Unless you are a chick :)

I don't consider myself as a bad dancer but compared to steady psy 4/4, RnB is really bad to dance to.

How the hell do you dance properly to that crazy RnB beat? I tell you, you can't dance comfortable to RnB. Unless you are a chick :)

I don't consider myself as a bad dancer but compared to steady psy 4/4, RnB is really bad to dance to.

251414[/snapback]

You just have to dance like a smooth operator :lol:

Dancing and trancing are two completely different things imo, if there are too much breaks in psytrance, I can't get in trance properly, but I can dance to it.

Once some old shamantype guy told me he once went to a goaparty but couldn't get in trance because of all the breaks and climax buildups in the music. I know what he means.

So yes, I have to agree with the title of this thread.

imo, you can trance out to any time signature.. only i'm afraid most psy ppl aren't willing to allow a different type of beat to enter their brain patterns. some kind of fear of change, I guess.

yeah - but it sounds slower ....... a strange comment I know, but it does !!!!

251260[/snapback]

Thats not so strange. Just look at it matematically: 3/4 is 1/4 less than 4/4. ;)

But as mentioned earlier you don't have to stick to one time signature. Mix 3/4 and 4/4 and you will get something very hypnotic if you do it right. I think this method is used in african drumming too (two different rythms at the same time).

I think posford did a couple of hallucinogen tracks partly in 3/4... something off lone deranger maybe? anyways, I don't think that 4/4 trance is intrinsically any hypnotic than breakbeats, it all depends on the repetetiveness and atmospheres that the artist chooses to create. If we are talking hardcore jungle, then no you obviously can't trance dance to that, but i've also got some gorgeous progressive breaks tracks that sit right around 130bpm and sound pretty much just like trance except that they have breakbeats. DJ's should maybe mix it up a little and through the dancefloor a little off balance, eh? but that would disrupt your trance state, eh? well i guess it depends if you are looking for a technically interesting dj set or more of a long shamanic journey type set. also, remember that breakbeats and breakdowns are two different things. almost all dance tracks i have except for maybe some really deep prog stuff cuts out the beats at some points in the track, then builds it back up. if you want a set without breakdowns, then that's not dependent on the style of music: it's dependent on the dj to mix out before the breakdown, make a special edit w/o the breakdown, or just not play tracks like that.

examples of the kind of breaks/trance crossover i'm talking about:

young american primitive - trance formation

lostep - burma (sasha remix)

voyager - d.c.d.

shiloh - mana

You can get in trance on housemusic, technomusic or other kinds of rave, steadybeat electronic music. imo

251546[/snapback]

I can certainly trance much more on good prog or tech house than most trance music..