antic604    497

gom1cd008_b.jpg

Tracklist:

1. The Final Passenger
2. Discofrenetik
3. Beings Of The Same Planet
4. Transformation
5. Oscillation
6. Morphic Resonance - Chronos (Hypnoxock Remix)
7. You Have To Find A Brain
8. Mental Ascension
9. Symbiosis (featuring Bioterranean)

Review:

Music is a lot like love, I find. When we are young we place out affections in the most popular, most look-at-me girls (or boys, whatever you prefer) because they seem to be the ideal everyone else look up to. But in the end we find the true love in “unusual” place: someone shy, who doesn’t seek attention and is keeping to the side, while the popular girls/guys end up being shallow and uninteresting beneath the surface. It’s similar with music – we often assume the new release of an established and popular artist X, Y or Z to be “the next best thing” but this rarely happens, whereas you might be swept off your feet by something totally unknown and unexpected.

This is the case with Hypnoxock’s “Eurythmia” which apparently is Victor Solsona’s 4th(!) full-length album, but somehow he flew under the radar, at least for me. Maybe because of the labels he had released with in the past? Maybe because of the name, which – to me, at least – suggests a hi-tech / darkpsy project or something with “cocks”... Luckily, the combination of “Eurythmia” being released by Goa Madness Records (home to Ephedra, Proxeeus and some quality V/As) and AWESOME cover art pulled my attention this time!

So, putting that right upfront – this is the best new-school goa I heard in years! The way his music flows is really unparalleled: it’s changing constantly (on avg. every 8-16 bars), is very melodic and acidic and the way he chooses and places samples, effects and one-offs is just flawless. The sounds and layers are always contrasting, so there’s no clashing or overwhelming effect so often present in a lot of new-school goa, where countless waves try to mask the actual inability to create something memorable (I know, I've been there...). He combines fast & slow melodies to create elaborate, developing tonal and rhythmic patterns. He places one-off sounds and FX in just the right spots, accentuating transitions or as a counterpoints to larger arrangement movements. He introduces the right sounds at perfect moment, sort of like Shakta was 20 years ago: when you think a certain thing should come or go, it inevitably will. And it’s not in a bad way, like it’s formulaic or something – it’s just good storytelling and good reading of where the tune should go for max effect. Admittedly, it’s nothing new under the sun because I can hear Shakta, Astral Projection, The Infinity Project or Oforia and some other influences in there, but since when those are a bad source of inspiration? It’s definitely not a copycat, but more like a creative extension of that sound.

The production is also one of the best I heard recently: punchy, clear and clean, very spacious and with sufficient headroom which makes it a pleasure to listen.

Lastly, all tracks are really solid – nothing really stands out one way or the other and they’re sufficiently different to tell them apart, which is not very obvious thing for albums nowadays.

If there’s an album that one would use to sway a full-on, darkpsy or prog fan to the goa side, this should be it – it’s accessible, but deep and playful goa, taking the inspiration from the best out there, refining it for the modern day and making it their own.

5/5

Listen / purchase:

https://goamadnessrecordsofficial.bandcamp.com/album/eurythmia

https://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/gom/gom1cd008.html

http://beatspace.com/10124/Goa+Madness+Records/HYPNOXOCK/Eurythmia/detail.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-AqJiJPVUqAByMh2pkx0JSoF89qKqCxw

• Like 2

MrAnarchy    221

I completely agree with everything you said. This release is so near perfection. 5/5 no thinking required!

• Like 1

Void Mantra    88

Yep. Agreed 100%. This album caught me off guard and knocked me out, TKO style. Insane stuff.

Such a great review, good job Antic!

antic604    497

Such a great review, good job Antic!

Thanks, but it's easy when the music is so good. It basically writes itself ;):D

Tsotsi    78

Great review and amazing album, if this doesn't bring people over to the goa side i don't know what will.

• Like 1

MrAnarchy    221

Even though this album was released recently, Im pretty sure its my most listened to release this year. God damn crazy stuff! Deserves a bump to draw more attention to it

Shpongled247    72

Just bought this thanks to this review, nice one man.... For some reason he has never been on my radar but i was pleasantly surprised thats for sure. Its a little mellow for my usual goa flavour but as far as the style he is pursuing its pretty much perfect.. and that production level.. whoa.

BraneFreeze    27

Finally decided to check this out after all the enthusiasm here at PsyNews.  On the first pass, I thought it was good but not great.  In particular, I thought the first 2-3 tracks were kind of average.  I especially disliked the lame vocal sample in the first track.  However, I then tried an approach mentioned by T2MU in another review: I played the tracks in reverse order. After listening to the album this way, I had a much more positive reaction to the music, and a better appreciation of the talent and skill embodied in Eurythmia.  I still hate the first track, but now rate the overall album 4/5.

Tsotsi    78
On 12/7/2017 at 11:34 AM, BraneFreeze said:

I still hate the first track, but now rate the overall album 4/5.

Haha 1st track is definitely my favourite. My taste is all over the place though. The whole album has this clubby feel to it that I just can't bring myself to dislike, Music that I could dance to just about anywhere.

Aspartic    74

Just finished a bit of dj'ing with this CD and it was amazing! I found myself jumping around and going bezerk on the many melodies, twists and crazy journeys.
I've been listening to this album for a long time already and it's not going to stop.
Hypnoxock made his best album here and it breathes goa madness.

So positive, clever and uplifting. Well done Hypnoxock! :)

• Like 1

Trance2MoveU    369
On 12/6/2017 at 7:34 PM, BraneFreeze said:

However, I then tried an approach mentioned by T2MU in another review: I played the tracks in reverse order.

I usually employ this method when I'm having difficulty engaging with an album.  This one is quite good and I think the 4/5 rating is fair. 

Jon Cocco    83

Antic, thanks for the review and everyone else who contributed to this thread. I'm just discovering it now due to the reply count.

The album, as it progresses, keeps doing things to keep us engaged. It has an edgy (tense in a catchy/good way) vibe while being fun and unpredictable, and dance friendly. Each song has character. I like that cool, unexpected things tend to happen at just the right time (as Antic said) to accentuate, shift, evolve the music in attractive ways. These choices are creative (took more time obviously) and makes for a more enjoyable package. The sound/melody work is strong too! You can tell that this artist is a fan of Goa music.

My only constructive criticism regards the artist's name. Hypnoxock? How do I pronounce or...? Forget it. The artist's name could be catchier, but that doesn't make or break anything since the title's easy to remember and the music [this album is] great!

Full album steam for ya'll

this album is incredible! ive just barely begun listening to it, the 303s are out of this world, reminds me so much of old school 303s like Mindfield and Astral Projection used to use.

in fact so does alot of things in this album.. very old schoolish vibes!

Tsotsi    78
16 hours ago, astralprojection said:

very old schoolish vibes!

HEY! We have a thread for that kind of talk! :P

When this was released I had the exact opposite thought. For me it sounded like a completely fresh modern updated style using the tools of Goa. I still mostly think so. But if you mean the playful baselines, and creative direction changes then maaaaaaaaybe I can draw some similarities. I still haven't heard anything similar to this though.

Good news for us is he is working on a new Hypnoxock album. Judging by the Morphic Resonance remix and his techno project Bioterranean, we could be in for something a little darker. I'll be happy either way.

i think the style overall, the choice of 303 (what i mean by "choice" is obviously how they/he/she tweak it and mix it) and also much of the leads and melodies are reminiscent of old stuff from like Phantasm from mid 90s.

Mindfield is one artist that comes to mind as this reminding me of. The mixing too; is much more old school than new school; to my ears. Its warmer and not very digital sounding at all; where much of new school lies... again this is for that other thread :D btw old school to me doesnt mean better, by any means. i much prefer new school these days to old. naturally, since ive heard the old stuff about a billion times already. **

but yes, its to me much more old than new, this one, in terms of style, mixing, and just general artistic choices. (rather simple hypnotic repetetive melodies and not too much 1/8D delays all over the place.)

this may be the first album ive heard , ever, that actually sounds like NEW old school.

btw, this album is absolutely incredible.... nice to find a gem like this completely by accident.

** this is for that other thread but, for example filteria who uses all old school gear - but yet produces pure New school music - i think the other way can ofc be very true - using modern software to create old school. So by "digital sounding" i dont necessarily mean it was made on software and not analog gear. its all about the creative choices you make in production and mixing... but yeah this should be in that other thread..

after now listened to the full album, id say about 60% of it, is new school, and the rest i still claim "New Old School" ;)

agree to kinda agree, tsotsi? :)

• Like 1

Tsotsi    78

I'll accept those figures. 

New old school is something I haven't thought of but sounds kinda right for this release. 

14 hours ago, Tsotsi said:

I'll accept those figures. 

New old school is something I haven't thought of but sounds kinda right for this release. 

at least a couple of tracks, like The Final Passenger.

i cant get over how typical Phantasm (but with modern production) it sounds to me.

stuff like mindfield as i said but also more: sundog, oood, subcouds... etc.

=)