Veasna - Energy (Neogoa Records, 2016)

While my comment may sound derogatory, I didn't want to depreciate your music. You have top production skills (waay above my amateurish efforts) and good understanding of your genre, that's absolutely obvious. Thing is, that while lot's of people today are caring about the production and about being genre-specific, much less are trying to make their music recognizable. I'm not saying everybody should, music which carefully follows certain genre standards but is well produced and arranged also has it's own vaule, but still, maybe I'm a picky listener, but I probably won't choose this your album over other neogoa albums. That's more an advice (advices from random internet guys surely matter, do they? <_< ) - having such a solid basis you may try to develop more recognizable style.

Btw, did you use your Airas on this record? Some of the acid lines sound super tasty

Thanks for the kind words!

Even if your comment was derogatory, you're entitled to your opinion. :D And nonetheless, these kinds of replies help. Since I've been pretty much release-less so far, I had no idea what kinds of reactions to expect.

I agree, many try to sound like goa, and that's the worst mistake to begin with - "try to sound like". I tried not to try - but of course you always got your influences and all that, especially in the beginning. We'll see where it goes, this is just the start.

And indeed, tracks 4 to 8 are AIRA-powered - TB-3 and a little SYSTEM-1 (didn't have the latter for too long yet).

This is the biggest problem these days: copy paste styled 'goa'. :(

Still I think - like said by others here before - this CD is an effort to get away from that.

That's a good thing :) ...so good luck.

The album is well worth the positive attention. <3

The rest what I wrote below, is in my opinion, the reasons why so many newer goa is so a like.

...and what I also notice is that it starts bugging people more and more in the scene, that everyone sounds the same and overall too generic.

I made this post also when we were discussing almost the same topic on Sonya's fb (ManMadeMan): to my suprise it got many likes there (especially from elder people/goa artists like Sonya and Hallucinogen,...).

QUOTE:

"1) Many festivals book "old" names, because the general public thinks only older goa is always better (but believe me, my collection is also full of crappy older goa). Stuck in dates, they care much less about newer (quality) goatrance. Never giving it a fair chance and judge it upon its quality.

2) Because of this newer generations (festival organisers, listeners,…) hardly give new names a chance (unless you 'fake' hype yourself - with cross bookings & the friends-booking-friends carusel) they recive less visibilaty and newer names always have to fight much harder.

3) The two above make it that also (bigger) festivals always book the same old (hyped/recycled) names cause they are a sure thing. People come for names, not music. Festivals sell an experience, not music anymore.

...but I must add on one very important thing: most new goa producers don't have lived the old psychedelic rock, acid, house, new beat, techno,...were goa utimatly was a blend off. They mainly just copy the 'old' names' sound or copy eachother (or that what is mearly populair). They lack musical skills, create a superficial sound and don't have this rich musical history most 'old' (quality) names have.

In my opinion the scene now isn't rich with what we call artists that put productionquality as a priority. They must become more people who create something unique: soundwise, soundscapes, complex stories, a resonating deep bassline or a dynamic and rich percussion or a deep kick. They aren't much of artists with a creative force driving them to the perfection music deserves.

So in the end the scene today needs to look for good new quality music and give that a fair chance + the general public in the scene (as well the festival organisers) need to search for good music, oblige and demand that (new) artists nowadays do an effort to create good unique music, instead of just typing in notes into a program…

...and now comes why I stated the above: When I was talking with one of the founding 'fathers' of goa he added: “You weren't booked in Goa – India – back in the days if you didn't do or create something unique and quality wise top.

Well, it is time the scene strives more for quality and this new music will promote itself and will be high in demand; just like the good old music still is.Togheter we create a better scene, it is like a social structure in which we all take a part (read: responsability) if we want to sustain it(s quality)."

• Like 1

Interesting stuff being said here.

About the album itself, I'd like to say that to my surprise I really dig it. I was a bit sceptic though, because it's melodic trance again, but this time it's with less bullshit around it. It's not trying to be one of the thousands adjectives (Cosmic! Floating! Spacy! Mindbending!) that are often used to describe goa. It's just is what it is, and I like the honesty and simplicity of the music. Puts me way more in a trance, if you will, than layers and layers of melodies that just fill up a track trying to make it coherent. I prefer driving in a rusty but trustworthy jeep than a Lada trying to be a Porsche. The comparison is a bit off, I hope you all catch my drift. :P

The first track feels like a filler, but after that there are enough good tracks that stand on their own. Good build-ups, nice use of percussion and a good sense of decent melodies. A thick sound, but nothing over the top. I realise I can sound like a grumpy Grinch most of the time when it comes to newschool, so here you go.. :P

• Like 2

Haha, Neogoa bandcamp doesn't store your address, hih :lol:

We have all addresses from previous purchases at one place. Not sure does Bandcamp sends notifications to people when new stuff pops-up. Anyway thank you all, today we had few extra orders so in case someone shared and recommended this one, it's highly appriciated :)

track 2 has me gone all mad all last night here :)

Wonderfull, just wonderfull stuff. The real psytrance is back!!! Reminds me on old Wizzy Noise stuff; so can't be bad.

Deep kick, rolling bassline, good melody. Very very welcome in the (neo) goa. Well thought music.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

CD's arrived yesterday and we're happy how the final product looks. As I'm typing this, first Bandcamp pre-orders are shipped and we will finalize all orders till Friday. Once again, huge thanks goes to all people who decided to support Veasna and Neogoa Records and getting this limited edition. For all others, don't wait too long: http://neogoarecords.bandcamp.com/album/energy

13568834_493289837526321_304022058427367

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Veasna went to Finland to promote new album, he will play live there but in the meantime he was invited to take a part at Basso.fi radioshow 'Back To Mad' and he talked about his music, influences and Goa music. You can stream whole show here:

http://player.basso.fi/#(select Back To Mad 10.08.), english part starts around 20th minute.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...