Morphic Resonance - The City of Moons [Suntrip Rec.]

Or maybe you need to change your audio equipment. Who knows? 99% of what's sold nowadays is too bassy.

No. We give Tim Schuldt precise instructions, and, once the album is released, you'll be entitled to show us all your dynamic range graphs, and naturally explain us all how good a sound engineer you could be.

Until that blissful moment happens, let's just talk about what we know. And what we know is: it's killer music!

Long samples here: http://www.suntriprecords.com/release/cat/SUNCD41/

Why you always sound like an asshole when this topic comes up?

It's good that we had this discussion, because the quality of mastering can make or break a release, at least for those of us who have certain expectations resulting from knowledge in the topic. It shouldn't be that whenever someone criticizes the technical aspects - in a very polite and constructive manner, as above - we suddenly get condescending and angry response from artists (rarely) or label owners (much more common). And no, you don't have to be a qualified sound engineer to recognize if something works or not, because some artifacts are very obvious (e.g. Doof's re-issue last year) and more often that not the issue can be examined scientifically. Funny thing is, if someone does that the tune suddenly changes to "but you should enjoy and feel the music", "you're not supporting the scene!" and ..."but it's killer music!".

Luckily Suntrip has been pretty faultless when it comes to mastering, even though an obvious bias towards higher end of the sound spectrum is pretty apparent (e.g. Celestial Intelligence's album was on the verge for me). This can be really unpleasant to those of us who listen mainly on headphones and not at parties. I personally prefer more "bassy" - as Mars put it - releases (recent examples: Psilocybian or Hypnocoustic albums), because they still sound very balanced when played quiet as well. With most music mastered with top-end as priority you can barely hear anything other than hi-hats and melodic lines when playing at low volume (or indeed - via poor speakers), while at high volume it gets tiring and exhausting very quickly.

Just compare these two:

And tell me which one is more balanced and more "pleasant" sonically at high volume?

Still, very much looking forward to Morphic Resonance - samples sound very good - and will be buying it on day one (together with Toi Doi)! :wub:

• Like 1

@antic, you are coming up with an harsh words such as asshole... why is that?

The music is killer and promising even just from samples and that is what counts, i wonder why people complain about mastering before releases are even out and just judging some samples. Get the release, listen to it and then we can hear your opinion in a review thread. Criticizing before the time has come it is just wrong in my opinion.

Your comparison is interesting and very subjective but i think all these matters, should come out later on, in another thread, don't you think?

"This album is crystal-clear mastered by Tim Schuldt"....[/size]

SUNTRIP: Please (focus on this word) chose other guys to master neogoa releases!

Btw; all tracks would be AMAZING... :/

, you'll be entitled to show us all your dynamic range graphs, and naturally explain us all how good a sound engineer you could be. (Focus on the tone)

Until that blissful moment happens

Why you always sound like an asshole when this topic comes up?

Fede, that's my understanding. Mantra604 dude had a request , that's all. Can be accepted or rejected. It's that simple. Rest you can understand ;)

Here or another thread , why does it matter? We read this and reviews to know the opinion of the guys on a particular release. Here or there , doesn't make a difference. Both serve the same purpose. Many of us often comment here itself if a release is good, if we like a track or not. So it's common. Nothing out of the box.

And yeah, all this can wait till the release though.

Yes I realize what mantra asked, how mars reacted and the lecture of antic.

I don't intend to particularly criticize but the use of such words, are for me offensive and that's all i wanted to underline, together with my opinion of waiting until the release is out, which is relevant.

It is obvious that anyone, who works for months on a release, is not really happy to hear negative vibes even before the fruit of his labour is out, that's all.

Just compare these two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25gAJXNf0DE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZbhmzzXZBY

And tell me which one is more balanced and more "pleasant" sonically at high volume?

Seriously, it boggles my mind how different things can sound. Colin has such a lovely way of mastering.

On another note. No more name calling, also seriously.

@fede - read Mantra's post again. I don't see any criticism towards the release. He criticised the mastering engg and "requested" suntrip to try and fix it.

Yeah, that is true. No one is supporting name calling and also mockery.

@antic, you are coming up with an harsh words such as asshole... why is that?

Technically, I never called Mars an asshole - I just said he sounds like one (when those topics come up). ;)

Also, it's not a very offensive word and perfectly describes someone, who behaves in a condescending, disregarding manner and from the position of power.

Please try to understand that I (and most other people here) love your - Suntrip, DAT - music, have all the releases and will continue buying them and if we have some criticism we really think twice before posting and if we decide to do it anyway, we do that to make future releases better - that's the only tangible way we can contribute. Why else would we stick to this board, try to reinvigorate the discussions and reviews? Close the damn thing, if we can't have a discussion on a discussion forum.

When I heard the UX release, the harsh, in your face mastering was a pro and I think this kind of release will have the same sound. Tim Schuldt is the best when it comes to darker, harder stuff, he knows industrial sounds better as we all do. As for more melodic releases, that is another thing. But I was never bothered about the mastering on a Suntrip release, except for Celestial Intelligence.

Sounds great.

Finally a 'New-school' release i can buy without hesitation.

Album of the year material right here.

Thank you Suntrip and all the souls involved.

I will upload new samples on soundcloud tomorrow! :) Around 4 minutes each... only 10 more days! :)

As for the mastering... I think this cd is mastered the right way... Tim Schuldt knows better then anyone here how to master harsh, screaming industrial influenced music imo... of course people can dislike it, each their own, but we, and the artist are happy... Of course some will prefer "party-volume" others "listening-pleasure" but you can't satisfy all completely. I just hope you all love the music ;)

• Like 1

Cant wait , cant wait . . . .

ACID deficiency syndrome is kicking in :lol: Need ACID sooooon.

Its premature , it might also be blasphemous but I think this dude is gonna surpass the greatest of them all (you know who I'm taking about :P)

I think i'm gonna buy this via Bandcamp. Sorry Suntrip, but I just feel like having it with me all the time.. :)

I love chromatic world, but I can't listen to it as often as I want. :/ it's worse if you use earphones. Headphones is ok.

Thanks for the input Ankur, especially because you're not the only one who expressed the concerns regarding that version and since we're planning to make a major improvement in terms of mix and master for the reissue digipak version and invest the big chunk of income from the previous releases for that one in best hopes to bring the stellar Morphic Resonance audio-product by the people - for the people.

• Like 2

Are you suggesting either of them or both take forest tutorials and make killargh Forest? :D Hell yeahhh :D

No, I wouldn't love to see them doing that kind of music truth to be told, but 6-hour long tut about mixing might be helpful :)

I've heard new Imba material last month and I was happy how it sounds and truth to be told he improved a lot since he started to pay attention towards mixing (especially because I know that he likes Psilo's kickdrums) :) Without being biased, Saša is one of the best dudes around when it comes to proper mixing and his tutorials are very useful for anyone who wants to bring the best possible quality out of your own music (sound-wise), oh and his live is a true sonic experience when it comes to sound-quality.

• Like 3