Advice for new labels?

Blair Thaumic

I'm planning to start a netlabel in the near future. The musical focus will be deep oldschool, with less emphasis on melodic climaxes and more on atmosphere; Goa in a proto-trance kinda way.

I have a lot of passion and very little knowledge, so I'll put the question to you: what do you think makes a good label? If you're an artist, what do you look for in a label (keeping in mind that "mountains of cash" isn't an option right now ;))? And if you run a label, what do you wish you knew back when it was still just a twinkle in your eye?

Be upright. Do what you say and say what you do.

Listen to what other people tell/advise you, but at the end of the day, do what you think is good. For example, you don't have to release ugly tracks just because they're made by your friends.

Even if you don't have mountains of cash, give artists some money for their work!

Be serious. Mastering isn't so expensive, so why do it yourself and ruin the release?

Be rigorous, organized. Make spreadsheets, keep track of stuff.

Similarly, always try to raise the bar. There's many many unprofessional people on the scene, you don't have to lower the bar to be at their level; THEY have to raise the bar to be at yours.

Don't hesitate to delay a release in order to make things square no matter what your guts tell you. You don't like the artwork preview? Find someone else, give it some time. You see you're going to release in the middle of the summer? Delay till september when people are in front of their computers.

In a general manner, extra quality will make customers confident, draw more sales and all the little extra efforts will pay back over time.

Some people can be hard on forums, especially after a few years where anything you release is thoroughly dissected. Don't over react.

Be patient, it takes years before you get a solid customer base and proper exposure even if you promote like hell.

And of course, promote, promote, promote. Your release will only se visible for a few days before another wave of music takes the frontpages. Use FB, Youtube, get interviews, release mixes, find partnerships, (co-)organize parties, etc... That's what takes the most time and that's what I wish I knew back then.

• Like 5

You're already on the good path, since you defined your sound and idea that you would like to release and promote. I really don't have any special advices, but I can confirm what Mars said, promotion is the most important part to reach people, but always try to have an interesting promotion, to be open towards your audience and listen to advices and feedbacks. Your label will build up slowly but surley based on the good feedback and the ideas from the community. I'm sure that running a label is some sort of learning process aswell :)

Wish you all the best with the label, the idea sounds really cool :D

• Like 1

Haha, I might go the CD route in a few years. Or whatever's replaced the CD by then.

Mars: do you think a profit-sharing model could work in the beginning? i.e. the artist gets 50-60% of the proceeds, with the rest going to mastering/artwork?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks all.

I'm currently scouting tracks for the first compilation. The format will most likely be digital; I still might do a CD run, but only if a significant number of people demand it. I have a number of mastering studios bookmarked, and will be shopping around when the time comes.

This will be a nonprofit release: all proceeds after expenses will be donated to A Well-Fed World.

(ETA: changed a few details)

Edited by Earwall
  • Like 1

Hi!

Just wanted to say that be careful with charity. Ppl might not be supporting the agenda the charity organization has or have something against organization's partners. And take into consideration also, that if the music buyers want to check the charity organization it always takes time: e.g. I did only a superficial check of your link; I'd have to do more if my intention was to buy. I myself don't support anything church-related. Many times a local distributor is a church. I don't want to be in the situation that I like music and the artist and cannot take part. On the other hand I think all music business should pay back to musicians: if they want to donate in charity, then ok. I wish you and your label all the best!