Synaesthesia: Post your colours

Ormion

Everytime I listen to Goa/Psy I always see colours and fractals. Actually this goes for any music, but with Psy the effect is really intense. For me every track is colourful and while most of them have many colours there's a particular one or two colours that stand out.

Sometimes I associate colours with not just tracks, but groups as well as long the artist has a unique sound.

For example for me MFG were always green. The early tracks were green with hints of yellow, while the darker tracks are dark green. Sometimes I'm influenced by the color of the cover, but most of them times is unrelated.

So I decided to post some tracks and the colours I imagine. It would be cool to post yours.

Like I said I will post only the primary colours.

Astral Projection-People Can Fly

23t5fg1.jpg

Hallucinogen-LSD

o10kn4.jpg

MFG-Intelligent Machine

r91ulf.jpg

Talamasca-Talafrica

wro17a.jpg

Chi-A.D.-Biocandy

qsmtr6.jpg

Astral Projection-Enlightened Evolution

15frk1d.jpg

Etnica-Vimana

5a4cbr.jpg

Actually the green in Etnica tracks is much more 'spacey and liquid', but I couldn't do it properly in photoshop.

Then there are tracks like Pleiadians-Electra were all colours are 'equal' and there are so many that it looks like an explosion.

dude, your colours are completely wrong ;)

people can fly is a soft red and blue

lsd is like a darker cyan with yellow sprinkles

intelligent machine is a reddish dark brown

biocandy is between dark red and dark purple with some orange bits

enlightened evolution is a pastel yellow

and vimana is a greyish dark green (like a lot of etnica) with a gritty texture and some cyan and yellow bits every now and then.

but all in all, i rather associate shapes with sounds than colours, so i might say that people can fly is more yellow in another situation, but for biocandy, lsd and vimana i'm dead sure :)

tracks with striking colours are:

sight of the sages is a very intense yellow

exit eternity is a beautiful emerald green

caprica is cyan

iron sun is red

elie is yellow and turquoise

It's actually very simple (at least in my case),even tho i don't relate color to a specific track, usually the elements of artwork relates to the certain tracks, but when it comes to genres that I like to listen, it's something like this:

Psychedelic and Goa Trance music
organic, bright and positive colors

Ambient/Downtempo/Ethno
light colors with cyan and sea-blue

Black metal
doesn't need any futher explanation

dude, your colours are completely wrong ;)

people can fly is a soft red and blue

lsd is like a darker cyan with yellow sprinkles

intelligent machine is a reddish dark brown

biocandy is between dark red and dark purple with some orange bits

enlightened evolution is a pastel yellow

and vimana is a greyish dark green (like a lot of etnica) with a gritty texture and some cyan and yellow bits every now and then.

rr8sjp.jpg

No, no, no. All wrong colours. MFG brown? Yellow in a Etnica track? Enlightned Evolution pastel yellow? Fix your psychic antenna. :P

That's a topic where people are bound to disagree :)

Indeed.

But Biocandy is blue. :P

hmm can color blind people take part in this :D?

I am impressed to see many people here able to see colours when listening to music, I read somewhere it's 1 out of 2000 people

anyway I could since i was a child (and so did my twin brother)

now i am 30 years old and this ''gift'' went away... i read that it's normal when you become an "adult".

Anyway yes I remember the colours I was seeing in the past,

Chi-AD - Biocandy is green dudes...

and yes indeed Biocandy is green to me :)

Chi-AD - Eye am the I = blue for the main melody + orange for the sound that reminds a guitar a bit

Usually basslines are brown ... classical music is always yellow.

Hallucinogen - LSD = green, but a lighter green than Biocandy

AP - People can fly = yellow

AP - Mahadeva = green for one melody and yellow for the other, and light grey for some sounds

Every Miranda tracks = green, with a bit of blue sometimes (Second step to the stars is green and blue)

Lepton head Deedrah remix is an awesome colour between pink and purple

Etnica - Vimana - Green all the way, every melody

Dimension 5 - Iron sun, the colour of the sun but sometimes orange as well, so yeah yellow/orange

Chi-AD - Anno domini = awesome dark blue for the dark melody that sounds like a voice + orange for some other sounds

Many Space tribe tracks are gray or dark grey...not many colours, not sure why

I am impressed to see many people here able to see colours when listening to music, I read somewhere it's 1 out of 2000 people

i guess i'm not the only one of those who answered, who (sadly) doesn't actually see the colours, but rather associates colours to the sounds "in the mind's eye".

i'm not even sure if feeling the shapes of the music actually counts as synaesthesia. i mean everyone has a sort of spatial perception of music and psychedelic trance is supposed to be psychedelic, so feeling high-passed saw leads bounce off the inside of your skull and supersaw-like sounds make flat surfaces in your head should be nothing out of the ordinary, right?

anyway, a psychologist friend once told me that synaestesia is sort of a continuum rather than a condition you have or don't have. apparently not a lot of us fall on the extreme "staight" end of that continuum :)

I get that feeling a lot aswell. But lately i've been thinking that a lot of the colours i attribute to music has a lot to do with the album cover. For example Twisted (the album) seems very purple and red to me, and Hinkstep - Sunrise Over The Treetops has a golden and green feeling to it. Sometimes i wish music had no coverart and no names, then it would be easier to appreciate the art without any disturbances.

For me it goes like this:

Wide-chorus liquid bass is usually purple or dark pink.

Dark goa bass with delay (MFG-New Kind Of World style) is usually green or dark purple.

Full on agressive bass (Absolum style) is usually blue.

Morning and oriental melodies are light colours like yellow, orange.

Dark melodies are darker tones as well.

Earth colours like dark red or brown are mostly absent from my Goa synaesthesia. They're more frequent in psytrance.

There are always differences even in albums where most tracks sound they same

BTW some unusual combinations for me are:

Hallucinogen-Fluoro Neuro Sponge is purple/pink with orange. IIRC this is the only track with that combination.

Many tracks in Necton-Retrodelica are black and gold. Gold is a colour I don't think I've ever seen before. Silver on the other hand is more usual.

Dark goa bass with delay (MFG-New Kind Of World style) is usually green or dark purple.

Full on agressive bass (Absolum style) is usually blue.

Morning and oriental melodies are light colours like yellow, orange.

replace green by red and brown (and add cyan for morning melodies) and we can agree ;)

pure green for me is a very rare colour, that makes exit eternity and especially 'tristan - if only' really stand out.

Earth colours like dark red or brown are mostly absent from my Goa synaesthesia. They're more frequent in psytrance.

the other way round. oldschool goa often has warm earth colours and psytrance is usually blue (from purple to cyan). distorted acidlines are always dark red, while clean acidlines are usually bluish.

Goa's sound is too spacey and electronic too associate it with earthly colours.

BTW this is a very poor attempt to visualize the fractals (in this case People Can Fly).

It's more complex and everchanging, bit it has this ratio. Left and right sides being my ears.

2rfet8z.jpg

Hallucinogen - LSD --- mostly red and yellow.

Etnica - Trip Tonite --- Blue, purple and black

Astral Projection - Dancing galaxy --- Black, yellow and red

Nova Fractal - Common Cold --- blue, white, some yellow

Man with no name - Juice --- green

• 8 months later...