Positive things about alcohol

radi6404

So in this thread I want to discuss reactions of my body and brain I encountered after dirnking alcohol, which I noticed earlier aswell but never paid attention. We all know the bad effects of alcohol especially to the health. But over the last days which were mostly free days, I drank alcohol from time to time, one or two small glasses of Whiskey or one or two glasses of whine and the next day I felt very relaxed as if I am fresh and can start over again. My stresslevel lowered and I somehow felt recharged. Somehow it is as if the brain get´s in a state of relaxation with alcohol because alcohol puts you in a different state of mind. I always believed alcohol had only negative impacts and can´t be used for something positive, but lately when I am trying to work a little I feel refreshed after a night with a bit of whine. Does anyone know how this is possible?

I think It can be positive sure Radi, like a lot of "drugs" when used in moderation. Nothing like a bit of social lubrication to calm the nerves or make someone feel more at ease etc.

Unfortunately, the line between positive and negative is quite thin with drinking, and I only ever over-indulge so usually feel those negative effects the next day. I used to be against alcohol for some reason, but these days we are drinking quite a lot, being on a working holiday and all!

Drunkenness doesn't suit everyone though heh..And its the only drug i have ever done that has actually made me do things I normally wouldn't do or say things i would never mean or say otherwise.. Anyway..

Cheers indeed! :)

It is unhealty indeed, but I think that the effects of moderate alcohol consum don`t cause as much harm to the body as having a lot of stress and anger, because stress and anger do harm the body and the brain. Poisoness reactions happen when you have a lot of stress and anger. So one or two glasses of whine here and then are not tht bad, they are even supposed to be healthy.

• Like 1

This is not about medical reasons!

I can't comment globaly but i can say what i saw and know here in my place.

It is just bad! Most of serbian people stuck mentally in 15th century (imo). They don't drink to be more relaxed or friendly, they say they do but they are so negative. Always looking for reason to fight, to insult anybody... before i had to protect me many times without any reason. Drunk guy on street saw me and attacked me just because...

Then i had many alchoholics in my family that made a lot of troubles for me and for others. I had many bad experiences about alchohol and thats why i really rare drink. And most of you already know that i am against drugs and alchohol, that doesn't mean i will hate someone just because that.

You know how much i drank in 2013? 4 beers, one jeger-cola and one vodka-redbull, thats all.

Maybe i don't proove as 'the guy' in company of others but i am proud when i go to some feast or home party or any kind of party and they asked me what you are going to drink, i say soda please. Most will say oh look at him he is pussy, he still listen what his parents tells him and more of those 'intelligent' stuff.

That was all negative i think lol, lets say something about positive:

I believe that only positive thing about alchohol is if the person who drinks it is positive and good person. I see alchohol like a trigger, if you are good alchohol can allow you to present you even better, if you are bad it will make you even worse. But you do have to control yourself, if you can't control yourself it's already bad thing so...

You don't need to agree with me as many people in modern society like to drink as people 1000 years ago too. This is just my point :)

It's a depressant. It numbs different parts of the body and brain which isn't physically healthy but it does often provide pleasant body and mental sensations. Why? Because it's a drug.

There is not much to discuss here, it's a fun drug that often makes people feel good, but it isn't good for our bodies.

Cheers!

This is very nice, I like what you said.

• Like 1

Now about body and brain...

I have/saw proof... my friends uncle was drinking for whole life. Never too much but lets say like beer-two every day... and now after 20 years he is totaly different.

He never had mental problems and nobody in his family before. First time i met that man 15 years ago. I was kid and didn't know about alchohol... 10 years ago i remember he was different. But still normal person with normal ideas. He stoped to drink 5 years ago, but it seems effects came in last few years.

When you see him now how he walks, acts, thinks and speaks.... you will think he is totally mental! He is lost sometimes... And there was situations where i was going with my friend to bring his uncle to hospital and different type of doctors. We spoke with them and were scared that he had some mental illness. But doctors told us that is typical for someone who was drinking for many years and that alchohol effect come later. Destroying brain cells and ofcourse it affects on body. He was fat guy/big like 100kg and now he is like 60 but 2 meters tall. He looks like ones from Auschwitz!

We must be moderate and think long-term. Everything can be good if you are just moderate :)

Alcohol is alright when taken with caution. It's never good in big doses: It harms the body and therefore affects mental abilities. Long term use lessens one's ability to think clearly and make moral choices. Drinking a lot tells about one's relation to himself: if he needs to drink excessively in a social environment it's a clear message about lacking self confidence. To fix the lack of self confidence, on the other hand, takes a long term plan of mental re-adjustment and a key trigger there is the person to start accepting him as he is. And here we see alcohol ruins this possibility and therefore drinking in large quantities is a vicious cycle.

I hope you all relatively sober year 2014. :--)

Thanks for your answers. But the point I am focusing is, as if the brain can calm down after consumption of for example one full glass of red wine or a glass of whiskey. The next day I can focus stronger on hings that require focus and the brain feels as if it had some hours of break where it was at suspend. I am wondering how that is possible when alcohol is so bad for the brain. On the other hand it is good to know that you can drink something and get a rest from your obligations be it study or work.

So one or two glasses of whine here and then are not tht bad, they are even supposed to be healthy.

these claims stem from red wine containg reservatrol. but in reality you'd die of alcohol poisoning if you drink enough wine for the reservatrol to have any effect, that is if you're not already a seasoned alcoholic. and btw, the studies that show that people with low alcohol consumption are healthier than those who don't drink alcohol all don't take into account that people with serious chronic illnesses often have to refrain from drinking alcohol.

but we also regularly have studies in the media about the positive effects of regular consumption of wine or beer. of course they're all sponsored by the austrian association of wineries (sp?) or the brewing union....

You know how much i drank in 2013? 4 beers, one jeger-cola and one vodka-redbull, thats all.

Maybe i don't proove as 'the guy' in company of others but i am proud when i go to some feast or home party or any kind of party and they asked me what you are going to drink, i say soda please. Most will say oh look at him he is pussy, he still listen what his parents tells him and more of those 'intelligent' stuff.

alcoholic! ;)

in 2013 i drank exactly one sip of wine to test if it's suitable for use in a lasagna. :)

i know that too well...

Hah. What a narrowminded opinion. you only look at it one way and don`t consider the real ingredients in beer and wine. The ingredients of beer and wine are healthy and many studies have shown low alcohol consumption to be good with beer and whine. I am not a regular drinker and mostly don´t drink anything but I noticed over the holidays how I could relax better with wine.

Hah. What a narrowminded opinion. you only look at it one way and don`t consider the real ingredients in beer and wine. The ingredients of beer and wine are healthy and many studies have shown low alcohol consumption to be good with beer and whine. I am not a regular drinker and mostly don´t drink anything but I noticed over the holidays how I could relax better with wine.

Padmapani is pharmacist... maybe it was professional opinion? He must know some more stuff than we do :)

I don´t know. His opinion surely has value and I respect him, if you drink a lot it is well possible to reduce health status but I am wondering how much it applies to drinking small ammounts only from time to time. If alcohol is so unhealthy, what is a different possiblity to reduce stress quickly, if you need to. Because when you are in stress a good black tea wont do it, it will help a little but might not be enough to reduce stress really. Does anyone have good suggesntions for that? Green tea? Nuts? Other healthy substances?

Padmapani is pharmacist... maybe it was professional opinion? He must know some more stuff than we do :)

semi-professional opinion, i haven't finished studies yet :)

but actually we did talk about this topic in a pharmacology lecture just this semester.

I don´t know. His opinion surely has value and I respect him, if you drink a lot it is well possible to reduce health status but I am wondering how much it applies to drinking small ammounts only from time to time. If alcohol is so unhealthy, what is a different possiblity to reduce stress quickly, if you need to. Because when you are in stress a good black tea wont do it, it will help a little but might not be enough to reduce stress really. Does anyone have good suggesntions for that? Green tea? Nuts? Other healthy substances?

low dose alcohol does recude the risk for some medical conditions, such as arteriosclerosis and subsequent heart attacks, but in the same time it increases the risk for having a stroke, cancer of the gastrointestinal tract and puts a burden on your liver. there's of course nothing wrong with drinking sensible amounts of alcohol if you like the effects. i surely prefer a happy life to a healthy life when i have to trade off one for the other (within certain limits of course). just be aware that at best, you trade one risk for another.

so if you're really concerned about health, fruits, fruit juices and green tea as well as fresh high quality food surely are better options.

there are of course other drugs that have a similar or greater relaxing effect and less associated health risks but pharmaceutical regulations or illegality don't make them viable alternatives for most people.

btw, what up with you calling everyone disagreeing with you narrowminded? i do take that as an insult.

I said narrowminded cause I was upset that you put my opinion about alcohol down. But you can see on the next post that I agreed with you and said that you are right and even asked you for alternatives. I was enjoying a glass of whine the last days but after you say it increases risks for some deseases you mentioned I am very cautious about that and probably wont touch it anymore.

I was enjoying a glass of whine the last days but after you say it increases risks for some deseases you mentioned I am very cautious about that and probably wont touch it anymore.

as long as you don't do it every day i really don't any problem here. even one daily glass of wine surely is much less harmful than for instance smoking 20 cigarettes per day. and even here the statistics we hear from the media are always presented in such a way as to seem much more dramatic than they really are. we hear that smoking increases the relative risk for lung cancer by 1200% and that over 90% of people who die from lung cancer are smokers which is true. but we don't hear that among non-smokers the risk for lung cancer is 17 in 100 000 (in a quick search i have only found numbers for the u.s.), which is equal to a risk of 0.017%. for smokers the risk increases to 0.22% which still is pretty damn unlikely.

as this is an interesting topic i have just done some further research and read a few papers on the subject. what i found out is of course much more complicated, as always.

so it seems that one and a half glass of wine reduces your risk for heart attack at most by 20% and that this is due to the effects on blood cholesterol, so if your cholesterol levels are fine you'd probably not notice an effect but if they aren't the benefits could well outweigh the risks.

for strokes, you actually get a reduced risk for some kinds of stroke (again this is dependant on cholesterol) and increased risk for other types of stoke, so a real measurable increase in risk only appears when you go past 2 glasses per day.

concerning cancer i found a 40% increase for the risk in oesophagal cancer for one glass per day and a 470% increase for 4 glasses per day. for stomach cancer there's a 40% increase for 2 glasses of beer/wine per week (!). but interestingly drinking an average of less than one glass of wine per week actually decreses the risk while beer does not...

Well I don`t drink a lot anyway. I guess it will be months without whine at all. But those statistics do wory me a bit. I am wondering if my healthy food and style of living compensates so I can drink one or two glasses of whine from time to time.

there are compulsive drinkers and alchoholics, i am not sure which is worse.. I like a drink, it relaxes me, esp if i have had to deal with a stressful situation, i do not like being drunk tho.. its nasty... tho, i had a night in a rum bar and the results were amusing for everyone, i pinched someones boots and would not give them back, i ran away and danced a lot..lol, thats the kind of drinking i like, cheeky drinking. :) and I feel great the day after.. :)

So in the last few days I drank one glass of whine or a small glass of Whiskey aain cause I was really feeling bad somehow. I noticed that my mood got better after that and I even could sleep much better. I sleep a very long time because I can`t sleep deep. I have a lot of energy in my body and sometimes try to supress it, but with a little alcohol I can sleep deeper and shorter. So I can use my energy longer over the day and get more exhausted.

But I know that there is a deeper reason to this and it is probably this region where I am lving in right now, since I don´t like it a lot and find it stressful. Lots of ignorant people on the street, unfriendly and very hard to make contact with. The girls are very hard to make contact with and most are ignorant or have a boyfriend. If I want to escape I have to walk 1 kilometer only to reach the busstation so I can escape from that big town. I think this is the main reason why I am feeling this way.

But after time even this will change to the better.

Moderate drinking has a lot proven health benefits, I wouldn't be surprised if the positive affect on blood vessels can lead to an increased blood flow to the brain that could help concentration.

The problem with alcohol though is that it's too socially acceptable. Other drugs get people on your back quickly, telling you that you have a problem and the stigma makes you conceal it, feel guilty about it earlier. With booze it's easier to go from moderation to too much without people noticing, no one will get on your back until you have a proper problem.

Many people have no problem with alcohol, enjoy it moderately but there is always that danger and the people around you won't help you until it's too late.

Moderate drinking has a lot proven health benefits, I wouldn't be surprised if the positive affect on blood vessels can lead to an increased blood flow to the brain that could help concentration.

+The vitamines in beer, such as B2 and B12 have shown good effects on heatlh. I´m not sure now, but i think those are good for the brain. As in growing or repairing brain cells. Don´t know exactly, but definately them are good. Maybe someone knows exactly?

For me few sips from the bottle help me, when i have to deal with anxiety. When making phone calls or talking to people.