So does anyone here like Suomi?

Ormion

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Suomi?

• Love it
    • Like it
    • Don't care about it
    • Hate it

Ok after Darkpsy and the interesting discussion it provided it's time for another 'misunderstood' genre.

Based on this thread it seems that most of you don't care much about it. I know a couple of members that love it, but only a couple.

To be honest I always found strange that Suomi is not more popular with Goaheads, since IMO during the Goa absence period (2000-2004) it was the perfect alternative to it.

This time it comes with a poll!

well, again, I don't want to come up as a druggie here but this is yet another one of those subgenres that you REALLY dig when you're high (like breakcore for that matter): I remember Texas Faggot playing here in Belgium a while ago and some people went CRAZY on the dancefloor, simply because those wierd unpredictable sounds work veeery well with certain substances... That said, personally, a part from a few exceptions (some of the BEST oldschool-style tracks were made by finnish artists!) I'm not a big fan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy58khFP7i8

I voted 'like it' - when its really good and just the kind of suomi I'm looking for, then I f*ckin love it!!!

often, its too random and weird like some dark psy is ;p more often than other psy genres, the songs are too short.

The Texas Faggot guys are hit or miss but when they hit - oh man is it good! Mandalavandalz - Chapora Nightlife is a good example to how I like it. Flying Scorpions and even the aussie Fractal Glider has a suomi funk to his music which I really dig. Squaremeat does nice things too. Can't believe I passed up going to see him when he was about 40 minutes from me. doh!

so really, I'm partial to the music. 8)

don't care much about it. i must confess i haven't really looked into suomi much and have never heard it played at a party yet. generally i prefer serious music to funny music and i don't value funkyness very much, so i guess i'll never be a great fan of it, but still suomi would be preferable to a most of music which runs under the psytrance-umbrella right now.

don't care much about it. i must confess i haven't really looked into suomi much and have never heard it played at a party yet. generally i prefer serious music to funny music and i don't value funkyness very much, so i guess i'll never be a great fan of it, but still suomi would be preferable to a most of music which runs under the psytrance-umbrella right now.

Many suomi tracks are serious and not funky/funny. I also prefer more 'serious' suomi than funky, although I like both.

[media]

[/media]

I listened to almost all releases coming out on Psyshop, Saikosaunds and the label websites from 2008 - now. And I can say I only like 1/10 tracks or so. Mostly from the masters of it: Texas faggott, Mandalavandalz, Squaremeat, Salakavala, Egosentrifug / Huopotossu Mononen, Lightaman Jr... Once I drew a mindmap of all the artists and their collaborations and it all seems like on big orgy to me... :) I like a lot of their tracks, really love some of them. As long as it doesn't get funky or cheesy. All in all this is the genre I like the least tracks of, but when I like them, I really really do so :)

I like it.. As do many Aussies I think for some reason. Maybe the mushrooms? :P lol

Old Australian psyharmonics & Sundance kind of stuff is related a bit to suomi craziness in my experience.

I have to be in the right mood for it though!

Love it ofc. ;---)

I'm in India and played suomisaundi in couple parties in Parvati Valley this summer and people really showed some crazy moves on the dancefloor. B)

Here's one of my fave's

I love it and it's by far my favorite type of trance. It's experimental, strange, and melodic. It has a lot of the qualities I wish more psytrance had. Too much Psy feels very "orderly" (add one layer, wait 8/16 measures, add another layer, repeat), whereas Suomi tends to be a lot less predictable. In a lot of ways I feel like it captures the Goa spirit more than most modern Goa. Part of what made Goa special in the first place was exploring new sounds and ideas.

I like most of the artists already mentioned in the thread, but also wanted to say Igor Swamp is some really great suomi. "Metsä Vastaa, Kuuleeko Suomi" is one of my favorite Suomi albums