That rare 2001 sound

GagaISM

I would first of all like to say hello to all the awesome people on this board. I can't explain how much knowledge I have gained (and am gaining...) from this site. This is what makes the internet super duper great. I hope I'll be able to pay you back with some quality contributions. I am currently working on an in-depth interview with Cujorius One that will be posted in the interview section real soon.

I realize that some of the releases I am going to mention didn't come out in 2001. But it seems it was around that time a new minimal sound emerged and got popular in Psy. At least here in Denmark. The first album I remember getting into was Atmos "Headcleaner". I remember it reminding me of X-Dream's "Psychomachine" track off Radio, but with a heavier and more pounding sound. The next releases I got into was Shiva Chandra's Auricular, Krumelur's Minimal Animal and a couple of Tenka's track released on various compilations. I kinda lost track of the style (and Psy in general...) after that only to come back now realizing that Minimal has been exchanged with Full-on.

I have with the help of this forum tried to track down more stuff in this vein. But it seems the output was rather limited. Especially considering the impact it seemed to have at the time.

This is a little list of releases that have made my list thus far:

Atmos - Headcleaner

Atmos / Echö Lab - Overlap

Cujorius One - Creating A Second Sun

Cujorius One - The Art of Mindfucking

Genetic Spin - Lowrider

Genetic Spin - ON/OFF

Krumelur - Minimal Animal

Shiva Chandra - Auricular

V/A:

Farmer's Choice - Traktor Schalllabor

Digital X-Perience: Dreamsession - Leviathan Recordings

Undefined Emotional Frequencies - Leviathan Recordings

Daneism - Ayahuasca Records

Releases that I haven't gotten into yet:

AKD - AKD

Beat Bizarre - Lewd

BUFO - Bug Eyes

Intact Instinct – Supply From Below

Intact Instinct – Plattenfedermanometer (Disco Slickers)

Kopfuss Resonator - Slotmachine

Noma - Navigator

Sonnenvakuum - Phonotonie (I really dig Die Sonne's The Rip track and consider it a classic in this style.)

Source Unknown - AM Reciever

I often hear Zenon Records mentioned whenever Minimal Psy comes up, but I think most of Zenon and Sensient's (except Cujo) output and style is very different to what I'm looking for.

Hope you guys can help me out :)

Full-on died a while back.

When you have 5000 people showing up at a Full-on party and you barely have 30 people at a progressive party, I think that kinda takes the validity out of that statement.

You might like Flying Rhino's later stuff for example the Re:evolution series, The flight series from 3 onwards and Planet BEN - Silver :wub:

I always wanted to check out Planet BEN. Thank you. :)

Mittelstandskinder Ohne Strom

Zerotonine

S-Range

Feuerhake

Haldolium

Klangstrahler Projekt

Perhaps some of these artists do it for you.

Haldolium's Daegue and H2 are kinda up my alley. But the bass is a little more in the background. I know Zerotonine. Need to check out the rest. Thank you.

When you have 5000 people showing up at a Full-on party and you barely have 30 people at a progressive party, I think that kinda takes the validity out of that statement.

Denmark is one of the only places left where Full-on still is this popular (Mexico and Brazil is slowly kicking Full-on out). Thanks to drug organizers and silicone bimbos/gang types (Rockere - ja jeg er fra Danmark).

Denmark is one of the only places left where Full-on still is this popular (Mexico and Brazil is slowly kicking Full-on out). Thanks to drug organizers and silicone bimbos/gang types (Rockere - ja jeg er fra Danmark).

I'm sure you know more about that than me. What's the new thing now then?

Auricular's Audion album derserves mention as well. It's very much the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG-7H--Qt7c

It's interesting to me to see someone getting back to this particular phase of psytrance. Back then "minimal" was practically a taboo here, a bad word, and there were practically daily flamewars about it, because a minority liked it. It was as if, to some, it was the thief that stole the power and dynamism from what was then called "full-on," which was the golden age stuff like Pleiadians and Astral Projection. I got into it briefly, and have kept some of the CDs. I can add a few things to your list. Necton, XV-Kilist, Tarsis, Synchro, Son Kite, Bitmonx, Prime Time Plastix, and half of the tracks by S.U.N. Project.

It's interesting to me to see someone getting back to this particular phase of psytrance. Back then "minimal" was practically a taboo here, a bad word, and there were practically daily flamewars about it, because a minority liked it. It was as if, to some, it was the thief that stole the power and dynamism from what was then called "full-on," which was the golden age stuff like Pleiadians and Astral Projection.

This review thread of the first Yumade album sums up everything you said very well - http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/34611-yumade-danz-ego/page__p__469650__hl__%2Byumade+%2Bdanz__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=469650

That's why I love this forum. You can always go back and study that attitudes of yesterdays scene (or yesterdays geeks hehe). :)

NP: Yumade - Danz Ego :ph34r:

In Switzerland Full-On is also still popular. But so is Progressive and especially Dark Psy. And Minimal. At the moment it's not hard do find any style at a party you want. Once in a while there are even old-school parties... And from my experience you have some of those bimbo/gang types att all kind of parties (I'm talking about indoor parties since outdoor season hasn't started yet so I can't tell), not only full-on.

But back to the topic: have you tried the releases from ZMA Records (Zillion Mental Anarchists)? They were releasing minimal stuff back then. I can't tell if it is from the good kind or from the boring kind of minimal since that minimal style is totally not my cup of tee.

Well my point was that generally speaking Full-on has gone way down in popularity across the world compared to it's "golden" days. Now it's psy-techno that rules the scene and apparently the dark psy is increasing in popularity too.

Well my point was that generally speaking Full-on has gone way down in popularity across the world compared to it's "golden" days. Now it's psy-techno that rules the scene and apparently the dark psy is increasing in popularity too.

I think you're right. Techno is really big right now, so Psy-Techno seems like a logical "next step".

Try Etnica - Chrome. It always gets slated in comparison to their older material (which I love more than chrome by a long, long way), but it's a completely different style. Pounding hypnotic minimal. I was glad to see you already have the Bufo album! I love it!