Recomend Me Some Good Ambient

TheJoker

Ambient is very broad, so it would be good to know what you like at the moment, and then we can build from there.

Regarding IDM, I do listen to it, but I only like very few artists in this genre. Autechre is of course the band that I would recommend to start with, as it is my favorite. "Amber" may be their best album for you since it has a very strong ambient element in it.

Like Kozmik said it would be useful to know vaguely what acts you like so we can build from there. Without guidance I'd suggest things like

Midnight Soul Dive - V/A - Aleph Zero

Oxycanta - V/A - Ultimae

Leaving Home - Solar Fields - Ultimae

Elementary Particles/Prima Materia - Bluetech

The first three are what I'd personally say were great (and easygoing) ambient albums, but there are lots of others that would lump together all sorts of different downtempo as ambient and this is really just my personal idea. Bluetech is quite cool downtempo IDM stylyised grooves. It could be an idea to check out this site that Murphy is always spamming around (there's a couple of nice mixes on there as well), Abasio's reviews here and maybe checking out some mixes to find what you enjoy. Recently come accross this site which is full of nice, very deep ambient mixes.

The only beatless ambient I've ever enjoyed was the stuff made by Moksha, who later made goa trance. They have a ton of variation in their ambient music and most of it very beautiful and unique.

For more like chillout ambient, I really enjoyed:

Darshan Ambient - Autumn's Apple

woob - woob1194 (the second woob album is crap btw)

Genuine - Nu Ambient Grooves

Synaesthesia

I haven't heard very much ambient, but most of them I found boring and forgettable.

I'm a big fan of Ultimae Records. This place is full of a top quality ambient music, including some danceable stuff.

Carbon Based Lifeforms, Aes Dana, Solar Fields, Hol Baumann, and Asura are my very best favorites. This is where whole album is great and unforgettable. Other good stuff from Ultimae includes HUVA Network, Kliment, and Sync24.

There is stuff like Vibrasphere, Kilowatts or James Murray, etc, which you have to decide for yourself if you like it. Vibrasphere has some GREAT tracks (like Mountain lake) but otherwise by genre it's morning trance, so not for every ocassion. Kilowatts (Ground State) are somewhat IDMish but also a lot ambient, so you should like it.

As for non-Ultimae stuff, I somewhat like the IDM album by Mouse on Mars - Radical Connector. But it's IDM with lyrics, not a pure Autechre's noise.

Adham Shaikh & Tim Floyd - Drift

Alio Die - The Hidden Spring

Biosphere - Substrata

Jon Jenkins - Flow

Jääportit - Uumenissa

Marsen Jules - Herbstlaub

Marsen Jules - Les Fleurs

Robert Rich & B. Lustmord - Stalker

Steve Roach - The Magnificent Void

Steve Roach & Vir Unis - Blood Machine

Time Machines - Time Machines

Vir Unis - The Drift Inside

and so on....

There is stuff like Vibrasphere, Kilowatts or James Murray, etc, which you have to decide for yourself if you like it. Vibrasphere has some GREAT tracks (like Mountain lake) but otherwise by genre it's morning trance, so not for every ocassion. Kilowatts (Ground State) are somewhat IDMish but also a lot ambient, so you should like it.

'Ground State' I'm liking more and more every time I come back to it. There's just something in that glitched out dubby feeling that digs deep into my brain.

I'd love to say I could help you out more with this but I'm not familiar with any of the Sending Orbs releases yet. I do love the only Eno album I've purchased though (music for airports) and if you like that sort of style then I guess things like ethan batholomew's 'secret entries into darkness' may be up your street. Perhaps check out a few of the samples on Somnia's site; with some albums they host the entire album to preview.

Since you mention Yagya and Aphex Twin I would say the stuff you're looking for is what I would classify as "ambient techno". Maybe you should try some of these then:

Brock Van Wey - White Clouds Drift On And On

DeepChord presents Echospace - The Coldest Season

Deltidseskapism - Nattmusik

Gas - Nah Und Fern

Intrusion - The Seduction of Silence

Marc Leclair - Musique Pour 3 Femmes Enceintes

Monolake - Hongkong

Monolake - Interstate

Quantec - Unusual Signals

Rod Modell - Vibrasound

Vladislav Delay - Anima

Like Kozmik said it would be useful to know vaguely what acts you like so we can build from there. Without guidance I'd suggest things like

Midnight Soul Dive - V/A - Aleph Zero

Oxycanta - V/A - Ultimae

Leaving Home - Solar Fields - Ultimae

Elementary Particles/Prima Materia - Bluetech

The first three are what I'd personally say were great (and easygoing) ambient albums, but there are lots of others that would lump together all sorts of different downtempo as ambient and this is really just my personal idea. Bluetech is quite cool downtempo IDM stylyised grooves. It could be an idea to check out this site that Murphy is always spamming around (there's a couple of nice mixes on there as well), Abasio's reviews here and maybe checking out some mixes to find what you enjoy. Recently come accross this site which is full of nice, very deep ambient mixes.

+100 for midnight soul dive, really good mix between idm and ambient

I'm a big fan of Ultimae Records. This place is full of a top quality ambient music, including some danceable stuff.

Carbon Based Lifeforms, Aes Dana, Solar Fields, Hol Baumann, and Asura are my very best favorites. This is where whole album is great and unforgettable. Other good stuff from Ultimae includes HUVA Network, Kliment, and Sync24.

As for non-Ultimae stuff, I somewhat like the IDM album by Mouse on Mars - Radical Connector. But it's IDM with lyrics, not a pure Autechre's noise.

yeah, you liked the new kilowatts? it left me quite dissapointed, should check it out again

okay... for idm, me its all Kettel, check pretty much everything hes done since cenny crush album (i have to suggest you real hard one this one)

then look for wisp albums, you will find free releases right there http://wisp.kaen.org/

then go look at autchre, the flashbulb( best album in my opinion is red extension of me), aphex twin, Boards Of Canada and plaid. With that, you have an excellent selection, going from melodic idm to the darkest idm side.

theres some ambient that combine idm and ambient. Artist like secede, subheim, Helios(I have to suggest you real hard this one, Lights Out Asia,blackfilm

you need to listen to mostly everything evan bartholomew/bluetech/evan marc has done, he has done idm and ambient into his three project.

and some pure ambient:

Mimesis

Emanuelle Errante album hummus is a masterpiece

Ishq the album orchid

Haushka

I suggest my all time favorite artist mostly from idm and ambient, you'll probably find something interesting. I didnt suggest anything from the psychadelic ambient side, but in the site, youll find a list for the best psychill http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/56586-the-best-psychillambientdowntempo-albums-of-all-time-compiled/

• 4 weeks later...

I would mention Fires of Ork and Biosphere.

When Fires of Ork makes ambient it's heaven. Biosphere is optional to know when liking ambient.

Some snipps,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1CQy02Cvpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3rIWaYRaJU Not ambient but still a huge fav in my book of electronic music.

• 2 weeks later...
hi joker, Some interesting ambient music can be found at www.n5md.com and also at www.tympanikaudio.com....lotsa good artists and tunes to shoegaze thru...warning though, my friend, it can be very mellowyellow :D

port royale, lights out asia, aerosol, subtractivelad, last days, lusine, bitcrush, arc lab, AEM...artists to listen to for melodramatic days. blackfilm, subheim, ab ovo, access to arasaka, pandoras black brothel, totakeke, stendeck and SE will take you from the dark ambience to glitchy chill. peace and may you find your zone. :)