Sci-Fi Movies

seraph

71 members have voted

1. 1. Choose 5 Favourite SCI-FI Movies

• Metropolis ( 1927 )
    • The Day The Earth Stood Still ( 1951 )
    • Invasion Of The Body Snatchers ( 1956 )
    • 2001: A Space Odyssey ( 1968 )
    • THX 1138 ( 1971 )
    • Solaris ( 1972 )
    • Soylent Green ( 1973 )
    • Close Encounters Of The Third Kind ( 1977 )
    • Alien ( 1979 )
    • Blade Runner ( 1982 )
    • 2010 ( 1984 )
    • Dune ( 1984 )
    • 1984 ( 1984 )
    • Brazil ( 1985 )
    • Aliens ( 1986 )
    • The Abyss ( 1989 )
    • Twelve Monkeys ( 1995 )
    • The Fifth Element ( 1997 )
    • Dark City ( 1998 )
    • The Matrix ( 1999 )
    • Minority Report ( 2002 )
    • Back To The Future 1 & 2
    • The Terminator 1 & 2
    • Star Trek Series
    • Star Wars Series
    • Andromeda Strain ( 1971 )
    • Event Horizon ( 1997 )
    • Planet of The Apes ( 1968 )
    • Equilibrium ( 2002 )
    • Predator ( 1987 )
    • Gatacca ( 1997 )

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the new Total Recall last week... Visually as well as aurally stunning... Kinda pity the rest was average at best. Watcheable and enjoyable to a certain degree but in the end just not good enough.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cloud Atlas is indeed beautiful, pretty much hard to watch because move is long and there are 6 stories which are interconnected, but acting, cgi, action scenes and story overall are very good. Still it's not good as V for Vandetta or The Matrix.

Looper is brilliant, perfect acting, great action, no CGI bullshit, good old 80's/90's sci-fi atmosphere and story is interesting too. Kudos to JGL for awesome acting, I loved how he managed to act young Bruce Willis so good.

• 3 months later...

I voted for THX 1138, Brazil, Aliens, Terminator and Predator, though it hurts to leave Solaris out. Soderbergh's Solaris film (2002) is very good, too - I missed that one on the list. Carpenter's The Thing (1982) cannot be left out, either! I liked Event Horizon, but it cannot compete with either of the aforementioned classics.

Director of 'Children of Man' will direct Gravity. I'm really looking forward for this one too:

Interesting... The makers of this film certainly prove to have good taste, choosing this piece by Arvo Pärt for the soundtrack. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm haven't watched that one, but after watching the trailer I have to agree... well I actually try not to have any expectations to sci-fi movies, they tend to disappoint. Was just checking the director out on IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0179542/?ref_=tt_ov_dr), he hasn't really made anything "big"... seems like it can go all ways possible. But I like the idea of using Europa, it's weird it hasn't been done in big Hollywood feast!

the poster looks pretty shitty though

Europa-Report-poster.jpg

Yeah, the director is pretty much 'unknown' but that's not a thing to be worried about, just remember how 'Moon' turned out to be one of the most epic sci-fi movies, even the director was unknown. I'm more worried about the storyline, it could easily to be 'something bad happened on Europa moon, we discovered new underwater bad-ass alien species'. Hopefully, it will be stylistic thriller with a pinch of horror, something like Sunshine with solid actors and good story. Already added this one to my bookmarks.

Regarding the poster - well yeah, a view from Europa moon towards Jupiter looks kinda cheesy ^^

Looks cool exotic!! :D It's a long wait though :P

And Richpa you are right, the story smells a bit of bad-ass underwater alien meets human visitor... and that can easily go wrong. And about the cover motive is kinda cheezy but could have been made well, which they failed at doing if you ask me :P

• 4 weeks later...