2009 - tough year for sales?

StraydoG

Alot of people talk about spending less due to the crap currency around the globe, so will it affect your spending?

Me personally, yes. At the moment US down to .5 when it used to be .75 and EURO down to .38 when it was .5 against NZ$.

Im listening to samples more critically now and buying only want I feel it good rather than good and OK-maybe good.

In my case, PLN weakened towards USD & EUR approx. 30% over the last 3-4 months, so it has definite impact on the end-price of the CDs. But I hope it won't impact my purchases.

Other than that, I only but 5-6 CDs a month so it's not like it will ruin my household budget anyway :)

i can see is getting harder and harder to release music given the world events and the circumstances but..

we will strive and go on as much as we can :)

I at least will try to do so.. cause well i just released one disc and i dont want to end it all here..

but yes selling is more difficult for sure

Well, at the moment the Yen is doing really well so I put in a big order at saiko. If that continues I'll be able to buy more, but I hope it doesn't cause then it's harder for the country built around exports :wacko:

I'm sure it will be hard year for many labels (also for us), and for many people financially globally...

I guess the first things you let go when you don't have money is stuff like cds... Let's hope the financial crisis will vanish soon so people buy all their cds "that they wanted but couldn't afford back then" :)

I'm sure it will be hard year for many labels (also for us), and for many people financially globally...

I guess the first things you let go when you don't have money is stuff like cds... Let's hope the financial crisis will vanish soon so people buy all their cds "that they wanted but couldn't afford back then" :)

Unfortunately my addiction to music means I'll give up new clothes and eating out before it affects my CD buying. Or maybe I should start downloading everything :unsure:

Sales for sure (all fields), But I doubt that people will abolish parties.

Maybe in 2010 when the depression start to kick out, even the parties may be gone, but that will be the only way for artists to make some money, so we'll see. But since then it's just two 2 years to go anyway.

Maybe in 2010 when the depression start to kick out, even the parties may be gone, but that will be the only way for artists to make some money, so we'll see. But since then it's just two 2 years to go anyway.

and 2 more years after that 2012 ...trala la la laaa.

personally my cd purchases had definitely gone down. the last cd purchase was after 2-3 month last week. the escape kit(somnia records)

Do you guys that live in Europe also EARN less? If not, then why not just order stuff from the UK? With the exchange rate at the moment, you should be able to make a buck even. I know it applies to Music Equipment, the thing I want to buy, I can save 300 euros on, just by ordering it from the UK instead of in Germany :)

I believe the crysis is going "clean up" the system if you see what I mean. There were really too many bogus releases int he past years.

I also believe that there will still be people to buy cds, but lables have to diversify their offer (cds, mp3, wav).

Most probably neither psytrance labels nor big majors know how it's going to end. We're all looking at each other waiting for anyone to move. We'll see.

Do you guys that live in Europe also EARN less? If not, then why not just order stuff from the UK? With the exchange rate at the moment, you should be able to make a buck even. I know it applies to Music Equipment, the thing I want to buy, I can save 300 euros on, just by ordering it from the UK instead of in Germany :)

Yeah! I got my computer from England around one quarter of the price similar ones cost in Japan :o :o :o

Should have bought more and sold them :lol:

this is something I have thought about...

UK pounds are really down low now ... guess it's a cruel statement, but I'm happy about it...

I believe the crysis is going "clean up" the system if you see what I mean. There were really too many bogus releases int he past years.

I also believe that there will still be people to buy cds, but lables have to diversify their offer (cds, mp3, wav).

Most probably neither psytrance labels nor big majors know how it's going to end. We're all looking at each other waiting for anyone to move. We'll see.

yes, the crisis will clean up for sure

and a cleanup is needed ... and I mean everywhere, not only in the psy scene

seen from that perspective the crisis actually has many positive things ... and for us end users (except you poor label managers), we profit because everything is cheaper...

and you, as manager, you can screw up real bad and blame the crisis for it when in truth you screwed up...

After all it's just a matter of holding on ... a tough position (underground releases) becoming even more tough, tricky, yeah, but not impossible. Maybe a few will go down, maybe we'll whine about it just like we always do, but in the end it always was like that and labels closed down, because of crisis or not, so the progress will more or less just continue as it did.

I'm not buying much anyway though, only a few releases a year, so I guess it won't affect my ordering habits...

and for us end users (except you poor label managers), we profit because everything is cheaper...

well end users' buying power is lower due to bad economic conditions too, so their position is not so favorable as one might think... Less expensive goods aren't so cheap if you don't make as much money as you did before or if you lost your job.

Do you guys that live in Europe also EARN less? If not, then why not just order stuff from the UK?

I doubt the pound is weak enough to compensate for how much more expensive CDs are here than everywhere else.

I doubt the pound is weak enough to compensate for how much more expensive CDs are here than everywhere else.

One CD at Juno Pound 10.99

One CD at Psyshop Euro 15.99

? :blink:

10.99 GBP = 12.32 EUR

Order 5 cds, and you have made yourself a couple of euros of beer :D

And the pound will become weaker very soon, and I know this since I am working with money at the moment. It is predicted that the euro will go down to: Euro 1.0373897477 0.9639578588

and even chances of that the pound goes below the euro, which it almost was in December? I have some really interesting tables at work (which I can not share) but it scares me to see what I am seeing.

I stand corrected. I guess CDs here aren't as expensive as they used to be (it's been ages since I bought one from a British shop anyway).

10.99 GBP = 12.32 EUR

Which CD costs 15.99EUR in psyshop? For me (and I also checked Spain :)) they cost 12.xxEUR, so it's very comparable to UK prices you mentioned (and - obviously - this is how it should be anyway; on free market* no arbitrage should be possible).

* yeah, I know it's not free, but that's the theory :)

EDIT: I guess you were referring to Minilogue "Animals", but that version is a DVD :D

well end users' buying power is lower due to bad economic conditions too, so their position is not so favorable as one might think... Less expensive goods aren't so cheap if you don't make as much money as you did before or if you lost your job.

yeah, I have to admit you're right about that

when one earns less, one can buy less, which leads to a decrease of buying which leads to the fact that also the sellers earn less and can buy less which means everybody will have less money...

but of the money that one milked out of the system some months ago you can now buy more than you could back then ... at least that's a temporary positive thing...

I don't know much about the sale figures for psy albums but when I visited my local psyshop I discoverd that they are eliminating their CD stock. They will only sell a couple of the new releases but no old album (or only a few classics). They are now having a clearout sale for most of their stock which made me buy a nice couple of albums. I got told the reason for this cut is that they sell not enough albums to actually bring them money. I was always buying stuff there even when ordering over the internet is cheaper so this makes me quite sad actually. :( So yes, I think it's a bad year for sales. I can see it myself, I haven't been spending as much money for music as I used to.