The return of the melodies?

Ormion

Is it just me or the melodies are back in Psytrance?

Especially in 2007 I think that the melodies are more than ever (except of course the Goa period 94-99)

Psytrance had gone realy minimalistic from 2000 to 2002 then in 2004 the melodies came back and now they're here again!

And I'm talking about all the kinds of Psy. Full On, Progressive, Freestyle, Goa even Dark Psy is much more melodic that it used to be.

Ok, some melodies are more clubby, some others simpler while others more epic, but I definitely believe that the Psytrance artists are discovering the melodies again. Especially the old masters of the scene although their music now can't stand against their old Goa tracks, they are more melodic than the past 5 years.

For example Pleiadians. Ok, Seven Sisters sucks if you compare it with IFO or FOL but at least it has melodies! Do you remember the tracks Etnica wrote some years ago? (Nitrox album for example).

Is it only my idea?

NP:Rabdom L-Black Hole (six lead goa-ish melodies)

Welll, they are back in some ways, but trance music nowadays has never been more hyperproductive and the more it's made, the less quality there is. But you are right, melodies are back in the game and who knows how long will that last. I hope for new revival, but not only with Suntrip. Who knows, I am resting from trance for some time in any case...

BTW, Ormion, your new avatar is wicked ! Hah, LOL ! Hillarious ! :D

Welll, they are back in some ways, but trance music nowadays has never been more hyperproductive and the more it's made, the less quality there is. But you are right, melodies are back in the game and who knows how long will that last. I hope for new revival, but not only with Suntrip. Who knows, I am resting from trance for some time in any case...

BTW, Ormion, your new avatar is wicked ! Hah, LOL ! Hillarious !

Yeah, Of course the quality is not the same. After all nothing can match a good complex Goa melody, but still I believe that the melodies are starting to become more and more complicated. We'll see...

Thanks for the avatar. Big C' loves kids! :rolleyes:

Guest antic

Is it just me or the melodies are back in Psytrance?

Yeah, it crossed my mind couple of times this year too.

But as Seraph pointed out, problem is that few of artists nowadays know how to really write a good melody and build the track around it. However, I hope they'll learn eventually :)

Two of forthcoming very interesting (for ME :)) & quite melodic releases:

Arkanoydz - Type One

Cosmosis - Psychodelica Melodica

I dunno, I thought melodies have been back for a good three or four years, although I might agree with the comment that the quality seems to have taken something of a jump in the last year. Possibly the guys that started making more "full-on" (in the original sense of the word), harmonically interesting trance in reaction to the minimal years around 2000-2001 or so have finally gotten fairly skilled at making melodies and that has started to show in the last couple years' releases. I personally don't see so much melody in dark psy, but that's probably because I see a lot of dark psy as a reaction against the more melodic popular stuff focusing on more noise and rhythm coupled with a full on bass line. Actually my, probably unpopular, opinion is that most dark-psy is just minimal spend up with more layers of nasty dirty stuff with a touch of full-on structure. This is no way means I'm saying its bad as I do like some of it. However, while I can totally and completely get into good rhythm and texture (Nerve - Nervous anyone?), I generally prefer good rhythms and textures with a solid melodic layer on top of it. Anyway, I guess my point was I don't think there has been a massive sudden reappearance of melody this year, per se I just think that the trend of the last few years has kind of come to a head and the total percentage of quality melodic trance has probably just increased a bit.

Jikkenteki ... talking lots, ain't saying nothing.

I agree about the melodies coming back and I'm damn happy about it. I've listened to some new full-on comps and lots of the melody parts reminded me of old trance music. I really like that since I love that music too and I have to say it moves me.

As far as I'm concerned, today's psy melodies have a long way to go to be satisfactory. I don't want them to be like goa, but I want movement and depth, something that tingles my spine and gives me goosebumps - without being cheesy.

As far as I'm concerned, today's psy melodies have a long way to go to be satisfactory. I don't want them to be like goa, but I want movement and depth, something that tingles my spine and gives me goosebumps - without being cheesy.

Have you heard the new Cosmosis album? It's melodic but not cheesy, I really love it and for me it quite fits your description.

And about the melodies in general: also prog is more melodic than it used to be. I really love stuff like Vibrasphere - Archipelago or Flowjob - Support Normality but I still can't stand the old psy-prog, sounds all the same to me.

return of the melodies?

random synth noises are not melodies how hard you argue. most of the new school goa is pure crap imo. suntrip hasn't released anything so far I would consider more than 3/5 of rating.

sorry for being so harsh, I don't want to spoil the spirit of newcomers or be grumpy.

it's just... if you've heard something as good as etnica for example... you never will get satisfied for anything less, and you shouldn't either! I believe as long as you're true to yourself it's going well.

the two artists that have something special up their sleeves, both from funland...

aavepyörä -> www.aavepyora.net

intriga -> www.mikseri.net/intriga

check em out, if you're old school lover and think they suck I publicly reveal I have bad taste.

return of the melodies?

random synth noises are not melodies how hard you argue. most of the new school goa is pure crap imo. suntrip hasn't released anything so far I would consider more than 3/5 of rating.

sorry for being so harsh, I don't want to spoil the spirit of newcomers or be grumpy.

it's just... if you've heard something as good as etnica for example... you never will get satisfied for anything less, and you shouldn't either! I believe as long as you're true to yourself it's going well.

As long as you really don't think it's as good.

I hope that you don't enjoy thinking that everything new is not as good as the old stuff so even if you do hear something new & excellent you wont let yourself like it!

Maybe you are not giving it a chance. Good music needs time to sink in.

.. if you've heard something as good as etnica for example...

This isn't directed directly at you Oopie, I'm just using one of your comments to bring up a point that's been on my mind recently.

I've never quite understood all the Etnica worship. Yes they have made some amazing tracks, but I find a lot of there older "goa" era stuff to be rather average at best and often weak. I over-looked Etnica for a lot of years mostly due to the fact that most of the tracks I heard from them I thought were pretty weak (and I am talking about pre-Nitrox, goa era stuff here). It wasn't until I discovered the Pleiadians stuff (again later than most) that I bothered to dig back into the Etnica back catalog deeper and found out they did indeed have a lot of good tracks. However, at the risk of being lynched here, I think they have released more than their fair share of filler too.

What does all this babble prove? That taste is taste and different strokes for different folks. A lot of people seem to think that if they can just explain themselves better somehow everyone else will agree with them. But many people seem to somehow not be willing or able to understand that other people can in fact see someone else's point, understand where they are coming from completely and still simply not agree.

As long as you really don't think it's as good.

I hope that you don't enjoy thinking that everything new is not as good as the old stuff so even if you do hear something new & excellent you wont let yourself like it!

Maybe you are not giving it a chance. Good music needs time to sink in.

Yes, as long as I'm honest with myself. :) And although my post was quite harsh, I did give two examples of new school goa acts I like, so you can't go saying I dismiss anything that's new.

I'm in no way against evolution. There are ways to do goa people probably haven't even thinked yet. I don't mind all the crap released, since the more it's made, the more there are chances to hear something excellent too!

It doesn't usually take more than 3-4 listens so I can make up my mind about a goa track. It's not really a hard thing to do to spot immortal melodies or something divine when you hear it.

And about Etnica... I agree not all their tracks were awesome. But even the worst ones were ok, not crappy. And the best ones... I can listen to them daily and get the shivers! <3

Yes, as long as I'm honest with myself. :) And although my post was quite harsh, I did give two examples of new school goa acts I like, so you can't go saying I dismiss anything that's new.

I'm in no way against evolution. There are ways to do goa people probably haven't even thinked yet. I don't mind all the crap released, since the more it's made, the more there are chances to hear something excellent too!

It doesn't usually take more than 3-4 listens so I can make up my mind about a goa track. It's not really a hard thing to do to spot immortal melodies or something divine when you hear it.

And about Etnica... I agree not all their tracks were awesome. But even the worst ones were ok, not crappy. And the best ones... I can listen to them daily and get the shivers! <3

You have to keep in mind the new school scene is evoluating very fast into something "new". it was started as a "copy" of the past, but it is becoming different, when you hear Goasia for instance, or KOB future's album (check the samples) you'll see it is taking total new directions... So it will soon become wrong to look at old and new school with the same glasses... of course it's both melodic, but it IS different in a way, and it will become even more different...

But if you really prefer the old school sound and structure, you are lucky with Dimension 5 and Ra ;)

But if you really prefer the old school sound and structure, you are lucky with Dimension 5 and Ra ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

Buahahahahahah!!!! Oopie, Dimension 5 and Ra... :lol:

Damn Anoebis, you should have written Filteria instead.

Anyways, as for the new wave of melodies, I could give a flying fuck whether they're coming back or not. Music is timeless, and it does not have to be uber melodic to be good. The "melody masters" have all done their share of masterpieces, and they are immortal. At least to me they are. As Jikkenteki pointed out, tastes differ. No shit. If a melody is good, or sounds nicely constructed in my ears, why on earth should I care when it was made? 1996? 1993? 2006? A good melody stays a good melody. For the second time in the same post, believe it or not, music, and consequently its melodies, is timeless. And screw the year of its "birth"- like we're all a bunch of math addicts counting days and months for the fuck of it...

Have you heard the new Cosmosis album? It's melodic but not cheesy, I really love it and for me it quite fits your description.

And about the melodies in general: also prog is more melodic than it used to be. I really love stuff like Vibrasphere - Archipelago or Flowjob - Support Normality but I still can't stand the old psy-prog, sounds all the same to me.

No I haven't heard it yet, but I've been meaning to check it out. I didn't like the last couple of Cosmosis albums, because they were too cheesy (or playful if you prefer) and too fullon. He has great talent but I think his music nowadays is too... uh, accessible. :)

At any rate, I hope the going in the scene gets more melodic in the future.

I enjoyed the minimal 2000-2002 period much much more than those so-called melodies from 2003-2006 era. Of course with so-called melodies I don't mean the few nice new goa albums that came out in that period, I mean the general direction of psytrance. The minimal period was much more creative than the overproduced fullon crap....