The return of the melodies?

Ormion

I enjoyed the minimal 2000-2002 period much much more than those so-called melodies from 2003-2006 era. Of course with so-called melodies I don't mean the few nice new goa albums that came out in that period, I mean the general direction of psytrance. The minimal period was much more creative than the overproduced fullon crap....

Yeah there was some good stuff made in the minimal period too. One thing I have never really been able to understand about trance scene (and some other genres as well) is this idea of total abandonment of previous sounds (I'm talking in generalizations here, I know there are exceptions). It's like there is a law against making music in a style that was popular, say, 4 years earlier. There was a lot of crappy minimal made, but there was a good deal of excellent stuff as well. But then again, there was a lot of crap goa made, but a lot of excellent stuff as well... on the other hand there was a lot of crappy full on made, but there was a good deal of excellent stuff as well... as for progressive, well there sure was a lot of crappy progressive made... but then again, there was some excellent stuff as well.... (am I starting to sense a pattern here?).... I say use the best of everything to make good music and who cares about when stuff was made. When were most of the classic rock albums made that people still listen to these days?

I enjoyed the minimal 2000-2002 period much much more than those so-called melodies from 2003-2006 era. Of course with so-called melodies I don't mean the few nice new goa albums that came out in that period, I mean the general direction of psytrance. The minimal period was much more creative than the overproduced fullon crap....

Matter of taste imho, for me it's the exact opposite. :) All the minimal (at least when we are talking about psy-minimal, nowadyas regular minimal me likes) sounded way too boring and similar to me. But I am aware that this might have something to do with my way of listening or getting into music and not with the style itself. Doesn't make it any better since I still can't listen to that stuff. ;)