lame samples

supergroover

Jim Morrison's posthumous spoken word album, An AMerican Prayer.

A great piece of work with music by the Doors, first released in 1978.

http://www.discogs.com/release/692394

If you've ever seen the Doors movie, you've heard some of the stuff on there. The song at the end, when its panning all thru the Pere Lachaise cemetary, thats the title track "An American Prayer."

I grew up on the DOors. Love LOVE love it!

Morrison was disillusioned, because as the Doors singer, everyone expected him to be the Lizard King, wasted all the time. He wanted to be accepted as a real poet, but no one took him seriously during his life.

Some great works of poetry, if you liek that style!

check it:

http://www.huddersfield1.co.uk/poetry/morrisonpoetry.htm

I actually kind'a like them... they r a bit differnent from ur normal drug samples :P

First time I hear them I think they sound okay but just get annoyed after a few listens. It's usually only english samples though as I can't block out the English!

A really annoying sample though is in a Rip 'n' Eiji track. It keeps saying Watashi ga Onaka Suita desu (I'm hungry) over and over again. Well annoying :angry:

No matter how I adore that track, the Robert Johnsons sample on Cosmosis' "Down at the crossroads" pisses the hell out of my for the last couple of years. I though it was cool back in the day, but now I know that over a minute long wrinkled voice by heart, and just have to fast forward every time I hear it.

Still on Cosmosis, the newer track where there is this brutally horrible sample: "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?" ...or sumthin' like that...

I knew this would come along :)

However, I do not agree at all - the "woodchuck" sample fits perfectly with the funny mood of that track ("Stormy Monday") - it makes fun of all those private eye 50's movies, sampling some - apparently very known in UK - cartoon. I guess some people just don't like their trance to be funny & witty. It must be dead serious. Too bad, because you'll miss lots of wicked stuff - GNOTR, OOOD, VoC, Cosmosis & Mumbo Jumbo. It's not a coincidence that all those artist are british. Remember Monty Python? Well, that's just more of british humour...

As for the Dawn At The Crossroad... Well, the sample IMO makes the track even better than what it already is. It's a perfect introduction, setting the right mood. I can't imagine that track without it. Besides, since I'm not a native english speaker, I just love the accent this guy speaks with :)

I knew this would come along :)

However, I do not agree at all - the "woodchuck" sample fits perfectly with the funny mood of that track ("Stormy Monday") - it makes fun of all those private eye 50's movies, sampling some - apparently very known in UK - cartoon. I guess some people just don't like their trance to be funny & witty. It must be dead serious. Too bad, because you'll miss lots of wicked stuff - GNOTR, OOOD, VoC, Cosmosis & Mumbo Jumbo. It's not a coincidence that all those artist are british. Remember Monty Python? Well, that's just more of british humour...

As for the Dawn At The Crossroad... Well, the sample IMO makes the track even better than what it already is. It's a perfect introduction, setting the right mood. I can't imagine that track without it. Besides, since I'm not a native english speaker, I just love the accent this guy speaks with :)

God damn it, antic, you just had to get it all wrong... I adore GNOTR, O.O.O.D., and especially Cosmosis. My point is that in 2005, Bilbo Bagginz (who was more or less) always known for his funny samples, ran out of creative ideas, and inserting another one of these sp-called funny samples is stupid. I mean, can you even count how many times throughout his over ten year lasting production career has he blessed us with that funny british humor? But when you hear the same joke one two many times, it ain't funny. So isn't this sample. It is stupid. And it got even stupider in my ears when I heard Cosmosis perform "Blue Monday" live, and actually stopping all the music(!!!) when the sample comes in, and like that, putting to the forefront its full pointlessness in front of around a 1000 people. Secondly, point out where do you read in my post that I do not like my trance to be funny & witty? Quote the part where I say that I like dead serious trance! You think you could do that for me please? Man, you just draw pointless conclusions from personal and subjective opinions. This topic is about what samples YOU dislike, and not which ones suck in general.

I adore "Down at the Crossroads" as I wrote above, I just find the sample (once I learned it by heart from over listening, as I also wrote above!!!) to bore me... As does everything, with a few exceptions, once you thorougly know it front to back!

No hard feelings, but you have to read a post before replying. 'Cause you obviously haven't got a third of what I wrote. Nonetheless, my statement about those two samples irritating me still stands a solid 100%!!!

Well, I can't understand how this "Woodchuck..." sample irritates you more than any other on Trancedance CD?! It perfectly fits there and makes perfect sense with other 'stupid' samples from that track... It is a wordplay. He (the main character of that cartoon, I think it's called Cornfed or something) says stupid things about the weather, about some woman, about other things and then finaly states "How much would a woodchuck..." which just underlines the pointless & at the same funny way those private-eye of the 50's movies were constructed. There was always a voice in the background saying what the main character thinks. That sample is just a parody of that...

I did read your post very carefully, but I simply can't understand how you can find that sample stupid. That's all :)

And besides, I never said you have to have your trance serious. I said "some people" and you can clearly see that in Trancendance's reviews that it's true. They simply do not understand how can someone use funny samples in goa/psytrance. Sorry for the generalisation.

Hey woah wow wow hold on.

When were samples ever cool? Even on the dancefloor??

Thats one of the things that annoys me most about this music. You don't need some bullshit quote to spice up your breakdown, how about some musical talent.

Seriously, who ever decided it was cool to do stuff like this?

ALL sample quotes are lame. Even the random ethnic vocals that are chopped and overused to hell in the dub/chillout albums.

ALL sample quotes are lame. Even the random ethnic vocals that are chopped and overused to hell in the dub/chillout albums.

Man, I don't ever want to start commenting these, as they seem to annoy me so much, I started ignoring them. Actually no, I cannot ignore them. There is a point above irritation which I guess could be only refered to as unawarness. I became unaware of these, like they are not there any longer. And I like it that way.

But IMO there are some cool samples around, and there always will be, don't stereotype Synogen.

Even though I just realised that my all time favorite album, I.F.O., is absolutely, 100% sample free. But on the other hand, the likes of Simon Posford and Cosmosis are such sampling geniuses it's crazy. Especially when they take it up a notch and start messing around with the voices, changing the pitch, speed, etc.! Some amazing samples we've been exposed to over the years.

I adore "Down at the Crossroads" as I wrote above, I just find the sample (once I learned it by heart from over listening, as I also wrote above!!!) to bore me... As does everything, with a few exceptions, once you thorougly know it front to back!

This is why I don't like english songs or long samples, once they are learnt by heart they just get annoying :(

A really annoying sample though is in a Rip 'n' Eiji track. It keeps saying Watashi ga Onaka Suita desu (I'm hungry) over and over again. Well annoying :angry:

Is that on "Diji"? Haven`t listened to Tengu Moon in ages. I didn`t find it that irritating, probably so `cause I don`t understand japanese :D

Is that on "Diji"? Haven`t listened to Tengu Moon in ages. I didn`t find it that irritating, probably so `cause I don`t understand japanese :D

That's what I mean about samples. Generally ones I can understand get tired so quickly!

Any sample with some stupid drug reference.

"Come on now, lets all do some mescaline".

So lame, it needs a wheelchair.

Don't even DARE to touch that sample!

The Astrix remix of the song is just an anthem, and a damn solid song construction as well.

I mean, come on, the intro just makes the days of people.

And think about it, drug samples are really logical actually. Take LSD for instance, it's a great drug which extremely broadens your perception on things, it's a unique experience, so why not make songs about it? There are also love songs on the planet yes? Then why the hell not these babies?

@ Pavel, check out Altom - Kompakt (French Connection album), it's the good use of Eastern vocals :)