How long u take to create a track?

There was a song I had in my head for two years before I got the chance to make it.

It didn't unfortunitly turn out as good as it was in my head.

It seems that a day is a good amout of time to 'get things together' into a basic mix.

However after that I can tweak and fuss for months if I let myself.

It really depends on the insperation.

longest Ive ever spent in one sitting, making a whole song, was about 8 hours. Ive made songs in around an hour before but :phear:

Usually a few hours spent getting the basics out is not unheard of. Id say total time spent on a good-sounding track, that I consider to be as close to done as I can get, takes about 20 hours. Sometimes more, sometimes less, it depends on the inspiration. Sometimes I work on a tune for 15-20 mins and toss it. Its not good to try and make something thats just bad in every aspect into something good, Ive found it to be easier to just give up and try again when you feel inspired.

But no matter how "done" it sounds, Ive never once actually thought of a track as 100% done. Makes me wonder if "done" even exists...

There was a song I had in my head for two years before I got the chance to make it.

It didn't unfortunitly turn out as good as it was in my head.

It seems that a day is a good amout of time to 'get things together' into a basic mix.

However after that I can tweak and fuss for months if I let myself.

It really depends on the insperation.

Ahh yes,

It's easier to sit before your DAW, put something that sounds good on your sequencer/tracker, add a melody, bass effects etc. and watch it become a song.

But if you have figured out that sweet unique tone in your head first, it is nearly impossible to emulate it on your prog, that's why it's of importance to master one's gear before one can make up to one's thoughts :)

A common problem most of us have ^_^

I usually take at least two weeks to finish a track. A basic rough MIDI-mix version can sometimes be done in one day but that rarely happens. A decent amount of the time (maybe around 60% of the total time) is spent on mixing plus finetuning and tweaking, though, it's dangerous to tweak too much and too long since that almost always make the track sound like crap :wacko:

Not less then a week. But, as been noted before, everything depends on inspiration!

I'm still baffled how someone can write a tune in a day. I might be able to get some major elements sketched in a day, but fartin' around with all the other stuff like arrangement and production takes a lot more time.

lol I can't get it how can you guys take so long for a song because I lose all the inspiration in a few hours and the next day it's just not the same so I have to make a new song.

I'm a noob anyway

For me its basically like this:

When I'm bored I open a new Project and fiddle around with bass & kick so the foundation of the track is really smooth.

Then, another time, when I'm in the right mood, I make a rough sketch of the track with synths and melody lines.

This usually takes about 2-3 days.

Thats when the track is "finished" arrangement wise.

Then i can spend weeks, or even months, playing with the track, like adding automation, putting in fx and stuff.

b00m !

I'm still baffled how someone can write a tune in a day. I might be able to get some major elements sketched in a day, but fartin' around with all the other stuff like arrangement and production takes a lot more time.

I can write an entire piece on the piano in one day. Realising it for what it wants to be (i.e a full fledged track), with synthesis, samples etc takes me a few more weeks/months.

Sometimes I'm lucky and it only takes a couple of days to write the entire thing...

In fact I've probably written enough music for an album, just I need to get down and sequence it. Damn... :(

anywhere between 7 hours to a week or 2....if the track that u're workin on reminds u of a famous track by a professional artist, u can take some inspiration frm that...dont copy...jus take some inspiration...n if u're in the mood u'll finish in day sitting at a stretch...

the best way is try to incorporate the track u're workin on to some other track....but then it would be like copying some1 else's work...although the fact that u've copied may not be noticible, would it be convincing enough 4 u ???....

i say jus listen to as much music as u can...n listen to it frm a producer's pnt of view...try to understand how a particular part in the track was made....pay more attention to the breaks....that should give u some idea...coz it is the breaks that give the track a groove

When I was making Industrial stuff, it took me about 3months? Goa/Psy Trance stuff umm about 3 and half + months maybe? I take my time what is the point rushing something? my inspiration comes in gental waves. keeping in mind I have never fully finished my stuff an now it is lost on my broken down PC grrr :angry:

I got 5 minutes of track out in 45 minutes just the other day, though it needs a ton of work still.

I kinda do it like Soth was saying, lay down a nice foundation, make it clean, usually I mess around with some sound fx and additional percussion, then come back when my head isnt stuck in bassline-space and work some more...

Ive never finished a track, Ive always heard something I could have improved... Although, I have made tracks that are complete ENOUGH.

when i have a concept in mind and an idea how the track should sound like in the end, it takes me a week to do it (when working on it every day after work for 3 - 5 hours). when i dont have this, it doesnt make any sense working on it, because i'll get nowhere.

for example, i was working on a track from november to january, but i didnt have any concept or basic idea, i even didnt like it very much. so in those three months i just made about 4 minutes of the tune, and then i figured out that i actually did have no clue what it should be in the end. so that day i stopped with that tune and started a new one, which i had some ideas for, and this track came into existence after 5 days.

this issue is very weird sometimes :)

when I have that burning inspiration, you know, when you just GOTTA get it out before its gone, I usually will ignore an intro/outro and just make the "meat" of the track, then if I want go back and make a nice intro. Sometimes just making an intro/build adds like 3 minutes to a song already 5 mins long. For me at least.

Id love to be able to work on tracks every night but my work situation necessitates that I wait til days off.... :(

• 4 weeks later...