God Save The Machine

Charlie

It's a nice release for sure! ;) but as always.. people should take note that DP's enthousiasm can be a bit out of line ! (no offence dude.. but you're really really positive when reviewing most of the time, even when a cd is a bit mediocre imo ;) )

So, yeah.. good stuff but i've heard better the last couple of years.

524791[/snapback]

Did you think his review of the new Psyfactor was overly entusiastic?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welll yes "last couple of years" for sure... shit man thats a fair no of classsic cds your racking it up against... even if you are only counting TIP world releases!! its good mate!!! accept it!!! peace light and psy robx

if everyone would listen to this record a bit more before already overrating it the world would be a better place, really it ain't all THAT great folks.... there are lots of songs where actually nothing really happens at all... (eat static/laughing buddha etc..) sure... the style is great and at least not full-on (except fot the aphid moon track), but hey... compare it to other pre full-on (97/98/99) stuff, this just doesn't reach the same level although it is (probably) it's intention!... :)

I suggest to take lots of listens to track 4 though :) awesome! A green nun (Dick Trevor) still knows how to do it!...

Lets hope that this is the first step into the GOOD direction! The revival of (pure) psychedelic trance (that's what we all called it back then, right?)

listened to it today...

while it is psychedelic and has some nice sounds, i was kinda disappointed....

melodies are not really my style and some tracks don't really go places like someone already said....

but i guess it is a step in the right direction...

fav tracks the one with dick trevor and the one with tristan...

It's a nice release for sure! ;) but as always.. people should take note that DP's enthousiasm can be a bit out of line ! (no offence dude.. but you're really really positive when reviewing most of the time, even when a cd is a bit mediocre imo ;) )

So, yeah.. good stuff but i've heard better the last couple of years.

524791[/snapback]

Well yeah, I mainly review stuff I like... And I have broad tastes... I do agree, that if I reviewed more crappy stuff, maybe the balance would seem more fair... But it's just so dreadfully boring to review crappy stuff for me... I have most of the crap labels 'filtered' out - and that's why you don't see me reviewing much Israeli stuff for instance...

But, it's VERY seldom that I rate a compilation or a full album with ALL tracks being good. It has happened less than 10 times in the last 3 years... So it's not like I grade mediocre stuff as perfect...

Hehe. Yeah, he tends to do that.

524805[/snapback]

I like good music - and the standards have never been higher... ;)

Did you think his review of the new Psyfactor was overly entusiastic?

524816[/snapback]

One of the few less-good reviews I've written... It was painstakingly tedious to write.

welll yes "last couple of years" for sure... shit man thats a fair no of classsic cds your racking it up against... even if you are only counting TIP world releases!! its good mate!!! accept it!!! peace light and psy robx

524870[/snapback]

I can honestly not think of a compilation *as good as this* released in the last couple of years - with the same bite and within the same style of psytrance.

Schizm is awesome - but it's forest trance

Schlabbaduerst 7 is awesome - but it's underground trance

Set 5/Summer Collection is awesome - but it's smooth progressive trance

Kodama is awesome - but it's lush prog

Etc etc etc... Catch my drift? Sure, there has been great compilations in the last couple of years, but not quite in the style of God Save The Machine. (I do not own Unusual Suspects 2 released on Twisted in 2005, which I believe is also a proper belter...). What I'm saying, is that this is the best goa-like modern psytrance compilation released in years... Tip.World started getting better with Imagi:Nations Parts 1 + 2, but before that (backwards until The Secret Of The Thirteen Crystal Skulls) their releases were a joke...

if everyone would listen to this record a bit more before already overrating it the world would be a better place, really it ain't all THAT great folks.... there are lots of songs where actually nothing really happens at all... (eat static/laughing buddha etc..) sure... the style is great and at least not full-on (except fot the aphid moon track), but hey... compare it to other pre full-on (97/98/99) stuff, this just doesn't reach the same level although it is (probably) it's intention!... :)

I suggest to take lots of listens to track 4 though :)  awesome! A green nun (Dick Trevor) still knows how to do it!...

Lets hope that this is the first step into the GOOD direction! The revival of (pure) psychedelic trance (that's what we all called it back then, right?)

524890[/snapback]

Well, I think it's THAT great... But of course taste is taste and it's pretty pointless to discuss taste. But I like everything about this - from the well-laid-out flow to the sweet, glossy artwork - and of course the fresh nu-style goa-like psytrance... Sure you can find more complexity in old school releases - but this is a 2006 compilation, with improved production quality and techniques... And it's real fucking awesome! =D

My $0.02

/DP

Thank god :)

At leats I can listen to some new stuff again

I was really getting tired of trying to listen to new releases but left being bored

Yesterday it changed :)

Woohooo

I loved this and for me, at least from what I have listened so far

This is the best comp of the last 2 years (FOR ME)

I loved the Eat Static track too, altough I see some people did not

It was nice to hear the good old alien/flying saucer samples with new sounds and production along :)

The Trevors track kicks ass and Hallucinogen track was on my mind since Soulclipse :)

This is a good cd man, I remember maybe one weak track and the rest was either ok, good if not great :)

But it's just so dreadfully boring to review crappy stuff for me... I have most of the crap labels 'filtered' out - and that's why you don't see me reviewing much Israeli stuff for instance...

oh really??? why r u reviewed my crappy stuff?? if this borring)

well i think u should to listen first before u will confuse an other people by your review who havent listen to it and see your review for a crappy boring album could even download it from free MP3 pirate servers and stuff, possibly they will like it when they to listen to it, but your review on crappy stuff as u saying on your tastes could say them goodbuy to this album because DeathPosture says this is crapppp hahaa)) ))

well i think u should to listen first before u will confuse an other people by your review who havent listen to it and see your review for a crappy boring album could even download it from free MP3 pirate servers and stuff, possibly they will like it when they to listen to it, but your review on crappy stuff as u saying on your tastes could say them goodbuy to this album because DeathPosture says this is crapppp hahaa)) ))

525346[/snapback]

I have absolutely no idea what you're saying Dimitri - but somehow you strike me as dissapointed that I gave your latest album a negative review? Well, you know what, that's all about taste isn't it? The first album was great, the second one was not. Simple as that. And don't even begin to think I didn't listen to it --- I did! Read my review again if you're confused. I wanted to like it - I really did. But suffice to say, I didn't. It's fortunate for you though, that taste is individual - and the album got positive reviews too. :)

/DP

jeeze take a chill pill people,

Its all down to Personal Preference at the end of the day! its what you like! nobody else can change or say otherwise. people will voice there opinion as much as they like about music...but its not going to dramatically change people minds! I mean look at this thread 50% like the new album and 50% dont....you cant please everyone :)

as for your new album dimitri I love it, keep up the good work dude.

525346[/snapback]

lal

I've played the CD a few times now but am not massively impressed.

The Prometheus track is suberb and probably the best, Hallucinogen's is also very good and Eat Static's and Queens Park Derangers' are above average. The other's are pretty bog-standard, generic affairs or 'fillers' in my opinion.

It is TIP's best release in some time but that's not saying much. It sounds quite Goa which is good, but it doesn't really do anything new or hold any surprises. Further proof the vast majority of modern psy has no soul? I think so.

I'd give it a 6.5/10. Maybe 7.

I have absolutely no idea what you're saying Dimitri - but somehow you strike me as dissapointed that I gave your latest album a negative review? Well, you know what, that's all about taste isn't it? The first album was great, the second one was not. Simple as that. And don't even begin to think I didn't listen to it --- I did! Read my review again if you're confused. I wanted to like it - I really did. But suffice to say, I didn't. It's fortunate for you though, that taste is individual - and the album got positive reviews too.  :)

/DP

525582[/snapback]

well i just wanted to say this one - you saying that if you dont like any release it is borring to make a review and u dont making review for crap releases.......so when u reviewed my Endless universe album so negative - im thinking that u have reviewed my crap music....im not going to judge u for it - and anyway killer critics - good promotion!) but lots of people who wanted to listen to it are reading the review first before to listen, after your review the could change they mind to listen or even buy your negative reviewed release...who knows they could miss some what they waiting so much(music) ))

for example - i have a big local net with lots of movie - i read the review before to watch it....... and theres a lot of people like me

i hope u understood me)

cheerse

im sorry for offtop)

well i just wanted to say this one - you saying that if you dont like any release it is borring to make a review and u dont making review for crap releases.......so when u reviewed my Endless universe album so negative -  im thinking that u have reviewed my crap music....im not going to judge u for it - and anyway killer critics - good promotion!)  but lots of people who wanted to listen to it are reading the review first before to listen, after your review the could change they mind to listen or even buy your negative reviewed release...who knows they could miss some what they waiting so much(music) ))

for example - i have a big local net with lots of movie - i read the review before to watch it....... and theres a lot of people like me

i hope u understood me)

cheerse

im sorry for offtop)

525752[/snapback]

hey man, i kind of get what you mean... for sure it's got to be be pretty upseting if you are an artist and you get bad reviews. Personally i don't think my fragile ego would be able to handle it. So instead i do the cheap thing and review music... because i can't make music.

But you have to remember a review is not a promotional text. That's why the have people to write kilargh words next to the cover when you buy it in psyshop. a review is what an individual felt or thought about the music, and one can't help it if he likes it or not. The only thing one can do is be honest with himself and say "yes i liked it, this is what i thought." or "no i didn't like it" there really ain't much else to it :)

so is anybody reviewing the the machine then? i'm curious...

can't recall last time i bought TIP cd/... :lol:

Here's Damion's take on it:

Taken from psyreviews.net

Various

God Save The Machine

Posted Image

TipWorld (UK)

You. Need. This. Album. You may even want to buy it on vinyl as well as CD. Lucas has compiled and collaborated all over the place to create something which, in my opinion, reflects his own, individual vision of what Tip mean(t). And it’s bloody good.

Lucas himself collaborates with a veritable roster of Olde Londinium of the sort you might fantasise about being on Twisted. The production: class. The trance: deep. The result: stunning.

The Raja-assisted intro drops like a bomb into Eat Static & Lucas’ Primitive Earthlings, and at this moment you’re filled with this rush of energy, of optimism, of sheer raw-edged musical thunk. The track’s got a vintage Eat Static feel, sliding deftly between 4-4 and breaks, and brimming with Somerset UFO fetishism. Porcupine features Lucas and a delightfully Audiodrome-era Tristan, and it’s as deep as you can imagine - and then some. A Leary sample and some tribal percussion before it escalates into one of the niftiest little runs ever to have featured on Tip, with shifting acid, hefty kick, and bags of attitude. The Dickster collaboration Living Dangerously has echoes of Dizzy Drops: a baggy, stretchy groove with echoes tickling the back of your ears like little flirtatious munchkins. It’s all about the textures, which combine to create an almost overwhelmingly tight and hypnotic tunnel.

Binary Bonanza, with Laughing Buddha, is where things settle down and you realise just how solid this album is. It’s vintage Tip – Graham Wood’s rolling spliffs in the corner, and things seem exciting and fresh again. Aphid Moon’s co-contribution, We Are Your Friend, is possibly his best work yet, moving away from the loop and thunk that seemed to hold back Gloobal Culture. The first genuinely new bassline since 2002 drops into meticulously-layered acid, all of which is as addictive as it is powerful. Bloody good.

And then: there is Pipeworm – Hallucinogen’s new track, another collaboration with Lucas. The key things you need to know about this are firstly that, yes, Posford has still emphatically 'got it'; and secondly that it’s better than Bubble N Tweak, or anything on UNS2. It’s got this “wait and see, wait and see” vibe as though it’s going to do something, keeping you hanging on. Snarling, expansive, tetchy, it’s bloody delicious, not to mention bloody clever – and the way the final melody comes up out of the ether is severely tasty. It reaffirms your faith in everything. The latest psytrance supergroup Queens Park Derangers’ Create A Hippy is one of the weaker tracks here – some funny samples, of course, but it gets bogged down in itself - a pity.

Lucas then teams up with one of psyreviews’ favourite producers ever, Prometheus, whoi returns with Nerve Centre, and it’s one of his best works. Ever. Yes. Just listen to it: absolutely everything’s in the right place, the sounds have a mind of their own, the movement is deeply psychedelic, and at times it sounds a little as though the binary is being beamed back in time to your ears from some all-seeing 31st century digital monolith. Finally, Lucas’ own project Sybarite ties it all up with Liquid Lunched, a decent slomo paceholder that almost transcends both psychedelic and progressive into one mulchy, pungent lump.

This IS the best Tip album in years. Pretty much all the reasons I got into this music in the first place are represented here. It’s refreshing because not one track relies on melodies; there are riffs, sure – and the difference between the two is like a shot in the arm. That its power comes from intricacy and depth rather than inyaface psy plod is a delight. Truly, madly, deeply essential.

/DP

I suppose if one has listened to a great deal of recent psy it might comparatively be considered a 10/10. But really, if you compare it to all the great psy that has gone before then it's definately only a 7, at best.

This, in my opinion, is the biggest problem facing the scene today. Most people seem to have all but forgotten how great psy used to be and consequently lap up today's monotonous, stagnant nonsense. Seriously, if people keep buying rubbish, artists will continue to produce rubbish.

I got this in the post today and it's good. Some tracks are very good. It's maybe not the best compilation ever but it's one of the best I've heard this year and it's definately the best release from TIP in a good long while. Probably since the amazing Crystal Skulls albums. I have to say though that I was not impressed with the Hallucinogen track on 1st listen. After one listen to the CD I would say the hallucinogen track is by far the weakest on it :o

I got this in the post today and it's good. Some tracks are very good. It's maybe not the best compilation ever but it's one of the best I've heard this year and it's definately the best release from TIP in a good long while. Probably since the amazing Crystal Skulls albums. I have to say though that I was not impressed with the Hallucinogen track on 1st listen. After one listen to the CD I would say the hallucinogen track is by far the weakest on it  :o

526229[/snapback]

Ha! for me it's the Aphid moon track (boring full-on) and also Eat Static (NOTHING HAPPENS?!)

Listening now to the Hallucinogen tune and it's his best since the Bubble'n'Tweak.

Absolutely mind bending. Sounds so digital and alienated.

523038[/snapback]

:lol: You mean, it is the only track he released since Bubble'n'Tweak, that's why is the best one... ;)

I suppose if one has listened to a great deal of recent psy it might comparatively be considered a 10/10. But really, if you compare it to all the great psy that has gone before then it's definately only a 7, at best.

This, in my opinion, is the biggest problem facing the scene today. Most people seem to have all but forgotten how great psy used to be and consequently lap up today's monotonous, stagnant nonsense. Seriously, if people keep buying rubbish, artists will continue to produce rubbish.

526061[/snapback]

To me it seems more like a problem that some people still expect the music to be as it used to be some years ago (I'd love that! :) but it's not, so...). Sure it's a problem that a lot of people just follow a certain trend and buy everything by Skazi or GMS for example or by a certain label. Never the less there are people who really love that music, I know some old goaheads who adore the Hypersonic album for example. I'm sure most people here label it as crap not worth listening to. So who is right? Nobody of course, it's taste. Get used to it...

526061[/snapback]

Yes, I've "forgotten" how great psy used to be. You know why? Because todays psy is so much better. IMO :)