Pleiadians - IFO

Guest Mindbender

Here is another story of this great album I feel obligated to mention!

It was after Max Lanfranconi Dj set in the same underground place (which blowed us away with so much psychedelic trance floating all over the place).

I went to a record shop some other day and wanted to buy something special that this dj master played.

I found there, two guys that changed my life also.

-One of the guy I remember his face at that above party I mentioned. He saw me and in a friendly way asked me?What are you looking for?

I am looking for an album that Dj Max inspired from. He just grab the two records I had in my hands and brought me the I.F.O. album.

This will blow you away he said and there is no point asking or listening to anything! You have to buy it!

-The other mysterious guy there if I am not mistaken is one member of the Wizzy Noise greek act. I saw him a couple of times in that ACID place and in this record shop. He was very inspired and so much adrenaline sounded in his voice about making music and evolving the scene.

Thank you once again you both guys!

• 1 month later...

i find it boring and unfisnished too, sounds too flat and un-inspiring, the only ones that imo are good are "meter", "modulation" and also not too bad is "moon in your window", i really dont see anything special about "headsping" - too "wannabee", i mean - it sure sounds like attemp to create energetic track but its too simple and with boring sounds etc.

oh boy, how was i wrong!

heres what i think about it:

headspin is slowly starting to spin my head :ph34r:

modulation and meter are the best ones, modulation :wacko:

also moon in your window is good.

overall i think this album gets better with every listen if you have different approach to it - dont expect IFO, expect pleiadians, and they will deliver ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

That's one opinion.

Another opinion is some of the Pleiadian tracks are great, some are okay, and some are really boring. Personally I feel IFO has around 3 great tracks, the rest are pretty repetitive and, dare I say, mindless and monotonous ordeals.

Amen to Charlie's comment, I fully agree. :)

Alcyone, Taygeta and Electra are nice tracks but the others sound frankly quite uninspiring.

Amen to Charlie's comment, I fully agree. :)

Alcyone, Taygeta and Electra are nice tracks but the others sound frankly quite unspiring.

Somebody's getting sooooooooooooooooooooo removed from my stentorian MSN contact list... :drama:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Overrated album for me... Lots of blablabla thats fun for a few times a year maybe, but after some listens it just keeps coming but isn't really alive... Anyway if you don't listen for a year it's nice to hear a track on a party but that's about it for me with that album these days... (favorites now : alcyone , asterope)

Doesn't reach my top 20 (btw I put artist album and compilations on same level for my top 20)

And "Merope" is another one which ten years after the album's release I wouldn't grant with a maximum vote!

damn, just listening the tracks and I must change my views.

"taygeta" sounded just cheesy with its melodies, but "merope" was so good! little to no melodies, but great pulsating beat and clever use of fx. one banging tune with it's night atmosphere would prolly even fit in to more experimental techno set.

the 3rd best track after alcyone/electra on this album in my onion. :)

Hah, you sure were wrong cause Headspin is one of their most serious works. :rolleyes:

:D

mindfuck :D

damn, just listening the tracks and I must change my views.

"taygeta" sounded just cheesy with its melodies, but "merope" was so good! little to no melodies, but great pulsating beat and clever use of fx. one banging tune with it's night atmosphere would prolly even fit in to more experimental techno set.

the 3rd best track after alcyone/electra on this album in my onion. :)

so far i like merope and celaeno the most, still trying to get into ifo rest tracks and the whole release.

• 2 months later...

PLEIADIANS - I.F.O. (Identified Flying Object)

DRAGONFLY RECORDS

Posted Image

Track list:

01. 11'18" Maia - A

02. 08'42" Taygeta - A-

03. 09'20" Merope - A-

04. 08'26" Alcyone - A

05. 09'14" Electra - A

06. 11'39" Asterope - A

07. 11'46" Celaeno - A-

I.F.O. is labyrinthine. No Limits. Anything is possible. Everything is possible. The album communicates this in the form of sound. And it does so in an extremely provocative, classy, and intelligent way. This is arguably the most praised album in Goa Trance along with Hallucinogen's Twisted and Astral Projections TNT. I clearly find this more intelligent and classy.

I.F.O. is dynamic, imaginative, psychedelic, sophisticated, emotive, fast paced, thrilling, and epic. The journey is gorgeous, insightful, tasty, deep, and potentially mind expanding. It's an album I can't seem to get enough of, though I listen to it maybe once or twice a year at most. One of the things I enjoy most with this album is the exploration element. Listen to I.F.O. and walk away, only to hear it weeks, months, or even years down the road. Over time the tracks and your overall perspective will likely change. Your favorite songs today may be different tomorrow or likely another day in the future. For better or worse, you may currently believe you're certain which tracks you prefer, though I.F.O. has proven me wrong numerous times. I think the reason is because each song has so much going on at once. Focusing on one of several melody leads with complimenting sounds can produce an entirely different mood and state as opposed to focusing on other "songs" or melody/sound combinations within the same song, so to speak. Ironically, these artists have correlated each identifiable wave of combinations in a way that, when opening the mind (not thinking, focusing on any specific sound) has the potential to create a perceptually transcending experience.

I.F.O. can be perceived as a journey through the cosmos and beyond. It can be extremely visual I find, and it's often interesting to compare and contrast different view points because it's such an intriging piece of work. It's very intellectual and stimulating and one of the only album's I really wouldn't mind discussing for hours. Why? Even with a certain number of layers, the artist's clearly have appeared to, without saying to us directly, taken music intricacy, mixing to an unprecedented level.

I initially found Maia great but not excellent because it was slower than the following five songs. I was impatient and therefore I compartmentalized Maia as "less than" do to its slower speed. When in actuality Maia is a superb song; one of the best songs I've ever heard in my life! Furthermore, I really did not like the final Goa, Downtempo-esque number Celaeno. I found it boring and disappinting each and every time I heard this album for eight years. Until the date of this review. Poor Celaeno. Virtually everyone seems to have put this one down over the years. I initially wished Pleiadians had ended the album with another super song. However that isn't the case for me anymore. While nothing superb in my opinion, I find Celaeno rich, absorbing, and effective; it compliments the album and closes it nicely. Turn it up, put on good headphones, and try not to focus on any specific sound or melody; you may become aware of what I mean. Same goes for the rest of the album. Just let the music do what it was created to do. This is a journey album after all. Let the music take you wherever it wants to.

The crisp braiding waves of melodies not only appear to come by the half-a dozen to the dozen(s) at times. Many layers are so subtle, for support you can barely hear them in relation to the plethora of arresting, leading melodies that stand out as bright as the stars they, the Pleiadians represent. The general track here has so much going on in it, it's curious how many hundreds of hours it took the these four artists to complete certain songs. An observation is that if you keep your focus on the main melodies, you'll often miss a whole other dimension to the song. The tracks flow extremely well. They're heavily melodic, layered, deep, groovy, driving, and dynamic. The fast paced melodies are often elegant and sexy; they often harmonize with each other like water in a stream. Also, the various sounds and melodies selected are so wide in range; they're occasionally matched together to create some of the most infectious, psychedelic sounds, rhythms, and mixing I've ever heard in my life.

Where as most albums seem not to uncover so much upon return trips, I.F.O. is one of those special albums. This release is so involved and packed with sounds that it's damn near possible to forget exactly how certain tracks sounded if you walk away for too long. You'll remember bits and pieces, sure (the main melody in Aserope is unforgettable to me), but so many details will escape your senses. Naturally if you hear anything every day, week, or month you may get tired of it or feel that it's lost its magic. The same can be said for anything if overdone. When I was a kid I used to get off the bus and run into the house every day after middle school just to watch Terminator 2. Eventually after the 30th time or so I hit an exhaustion peek and never wanted to see my favorite film (at the time) again. My little, stupid story that no one gives a shit about aside, this maximal style won't appeal to everyone, obviously, not even everyone into Goa-Trance. Regardless, I think this is a very special album for very special times. Each time I return to this album it sounds as wonderful as the day I first put it to my ears. This album is magical to me, even the tracks I generally favor less than others. It's a rare album in a rare genre. My mind was arrested throughout the first time I listened to this album, eyes shut, relaxed, with head phones and in a dark room. I felt like something shifted inside me both during the album and when it ended. I feel like in a sense I became more open-minded. This album has helped me motivate myself in numerous ways too. I used to listen to this while miraculously drawing the most detailed and elaborate works of graphic design I never knew I had inside my mind to create. Over time I seemed to become more conscious of the state I'd go into while listening to this album. The result was a more clear and concise [aware] state relative to how I view myself, those around me, and the world we live in.

In conclusion, I.F.O. is a super detailed, evolutionary and intangible form, artistically showcasing an elaborate perception of the formless realm. It is filled with passion and spirit. I love the creativity in this album and find it a technical accomplishment, a centerpiece in Goa-Trance, and a classic. It's hard to imagine all of the energy put into this album not having an affect on the body, mind, and the consciousness in some way. Step outside of the ego and arguing opinions (me too earlier on in the thread) and be present with I.F.O. To me, this is in the top 1% pinnacle of Goa-Trance. I LOVE (no, not literally.. I find fascinating, intriguing, and infectious) the style and find the sound work audibly delicious. I think it's impressive how much of an impact these seven tracks have had on so many people throughout the world for over ten years. The amount of technical complexity, depth of sounds, melody/sound leads(!) and melody/sound work in general, directions, mixing, and flow is virtually unprecedented at times. After ten years, I.F.O. is my most favorite album in Goa/Psy Trance.

Favorite Tracks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.7.

MAIA, ALCYONE, ELEKTRA, and ASTEROPE are some of the most wonderful and arresting songs I have ever heard in my life.

A

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

How shuld i even begin ...... I am nt dat old in this psyscene its been abt 2 or more years since i hve got any intrest in the electronic music

and dn recently with coming of Goasia's album last year i became a big fan of Goa trance and d goa tune , followed by transwaves 'Backfire'

it got crazier nd crazier dn i downloaded dis album from 'Pleiadians' as its tough to find a cd of it nd i dint found it great at all........... i couldnt find nth gr8 in this albumb like evry1 tlkd abt it here on psynews,ltsnin to more artists in dis genre and aftr abt 50 or 60 albums whn i ltsnd to dis albumb abt a week ago i hve been jst ltsning to I.F.O. (Identified Flying Object) only, Itz absolutly amazing the perfection d melodies and just d pure power in dm all

gives u pure XTC. I love all the songs in dis albumb But mostly 1,3,4,5,6 Dey are just amazing words cnt xpress d joy ASTEROPE does to m it takes m to sum odr world . I was dissapointed a bit toooo cause of Celaeno itz an average ambient song i xpctd sumthn more it shuld hve been more like jaia's track in blue energy 'after the rain'

But on a Whole dis is one of d best goa trance cd i have heard in my life jst simply amazing . Jon's Review about dis album is bullzye.

Can any1 Tell m more albums like dis???????

I don't have much to add, as these words would most definitely be already spoken. Still, I have a few unspoken words.

There are, of course, some subjective factors determining the point on the scale of quality of something, but as soon as it comes to "Pleiadians - IFO", I'm confident, that subjectivity becomes extremely relative straight away.

IFO is one of the best goa trance albums ever made, be it your style or not. Because it's genuine goa trance. It's the milestone in the genre. I'm personally not a fan of this type of goa, but it's just one of those exceptions which are being spoken about every time one mentions: "sure, there are few exceptions". That's the exception.

Ten years anniversary since IFO saw the light first time.

And yeah, Asterope is possibly my favourite goa track of all time. I dislike setting something in stone due to thorough relativity, that's why I'm obliged to insert "possibly". At least, it's just one of those tracks.

• 5 months later...

despite these guys not having an interest in making elaborate track structures or proper intros, breaks and intersections, their rawly arranged dance tracks have ruled dance floors all over the world for the last decade and will continue to do so! :posford:

asterope is the track of this album, yes!

• 1 month later...

Maia is a truly a wonderful track. It starts out with such simplicity, moves to very dynamic alien soundscapes, yet ends in complete madness of beautiful psychedelia. Everytime I hear the part at 9 minutes I get lost in it, it's the best climax ever. I cannot even imagine what people back then thought about this track as they had never heard of something like it.

Rest of the tracks also are truly magnificent. It feels at times that this wasn't made by humans, it's so alien throughout.

When will we get another revolutionary album like this? It's been 11 years and still no sign of such.

I mean there's been fantastic one's, sure, but nothing really comes all that close to this. The only exception, for me, would be Filteria's stuff, but they still can't trump this one.

This album is a timeless classic.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

What can i say?... This is absolutely THE best pieces of vinyl i own!! All the tracks is like they

are from outerspace!!... Simply mindblowing, so brainthrobbing!! This THE most psychedlic

pieces of music you will EVER hear. This is it!! I doesnt get any better then this. I almost fell

into tears when listening to the leading melody in Alcyone 3:56 & 5:14 at a outdoor party

many years ago!!!

In conclusion this is definitely a defining album in goa trance and a "must have" PERIOD!!!

• 5 months later...

It did it again, this un-believable. This track has made me lose myself so many times and continues to do so. Whenever I take a good listen, not as some background music, it manages to complete stop my brain functions to the point that I am completely inside and outside of the music. The wonderful alien time and space. Aural insanity.

Maia has got the be the absolute pinnacle of truly spiritual Goa-trance. Period.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Very overrated album.

Maia and Alycone are excellent, and Electra and Celaeno are pretty good.

The rest may be some of the most psychedelic music you ever hear, but that doesn't make them good, and indeed they are not very good.

7/10

Very overrated album.

Maia and Alycone are excellent, and Electra and Celaeno are pretty good.

The rest may be some of the most psychedelic music you ever hear, but that doesn't make them good, and indeed they are not very good.

7/10

How come that each of your posts sucks more and more???

You are brilliant in it.

I also find that Maia and Alcyone are the 2 best tracks on this album (read: the 2 i liked the most) and 2 of the very best tracks this genre has to offer imo.

Infectious melodies, intensity, story telling, unique Pleiadians trademark, i didn't find anything else close to those 2 masterpieces.

The other tracks are good as well i suppose, but they don't touch me so i won't comment.

In any case this album is definitly a must to listen, you can also get the wavs from juno if you're interested.

• 2 months later...