OFFICIAL BEST OF 2005 THREAD

Anoebis

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Elysium

I never got the idea why there's a need for such "top of the pops" competitions.

It remind me of isratrance here now :blink: so now there will be a yearly "look who's the best psystar and deserve a pie" competition here at psynews?

And is there not another on going competition al ready? Why 2 almost similar competitions in the same forum? Are people that hungry to show what they like?

My rant :ph34r:

Guest Elysium

Kris, you're just upset cause no one chooses you :lol:  :lol:

415458[/snapback]

Did I release anything in 2005? :blink:

Mate I do not expect many to even vote at my upcoming new music here. It's not psy, killarghhh and fast enough ;)

I could not care less about my music in such competitions. I just do not see the point in them and especially not when there are 2 ongoing almost similar competitions at psynews at the moment.

But carry on. Dont let me spoil the fun :)

I was just wondering why there's a need for 2 competitions? And no they are not that different in the content.

ok, here are few explanations ...

I never got the idea why there's a need for such "top of the pops" competitions.

415456[/snapback]

it's not a competition, it's statistics, as Insejn said. why?

because people are curious to see how the scene is evolving, to see if other people share their taste in music, to see who gets in the scene, who gets out .. and more.

also, internet is part of the scene (most promotion, sales, feedback, artist interracting with listeners, organisers, other artists, labels .. happen online), so if psynews can be active in the scene and offer people some information, why not?

people like to be informed.

It remind me of isratrance here now  :blink:    so now there will be a yearly "look who's the best psystar and deserve a pie" competition here at psynews?

415456[/snapback]

there is no problem if this reminds you of isratrance. isratrance and psynews are 2 forums of the same scene. and yes, yearly "Best Of" topics seems like something natural, something that everybody wants and takes part of. well, looks like everybody except you.

And is there not another on going competition al ready?  Why 2 almost similar competitions in the same forum? 

415456[/snapback]

what are you talking about? ... 2 almost similar competitions, specify detail please. and why does it bother you. btw, there may be 4 or 5 threads about the best or worst releases of 2005.

Are people that hungry to show what they like?

415456[/snapback]

people like to show their appreciation for the artists and releases that please them, by mentioning them. it happens quite often on forums.

Guest Elysium

I wont quote all you wrote. Most look like to me that you try to talk down to me and try to "educate" me with your "expert" knowledge. About things I am very well aware of. But things that got nothing much to do with my point.

But I like to quote 2 things:

and yes, yearly "Best Of" topics seems like something natural, something that everybody wants and takes part of. well, looks like everybody except you.

I assume you can back up those facts that everybody here except me think it's cool and natural?

what are you talking about? ... 2 almost similar competitions, specify detail please. and why does it bother you. btw, there may be 4 or 5 threads about the best or worst releases of 2005.

Now do not try to hide the fact that you opened up an almost idential competition (with a few more categories) after you saw Anoebis made his top 5 pinned post. You and I also know why you did it ;)

1. Solar Fields - Leaving Home

2. Shpongle - Nothing Lasts

3. Khetzal - Corelle

4. Enteogenic - Dialogue of the Speakers

5. V/A - Apsara

Hmm dont really know about this list.. 2005 really sucked :ph34r: ...

415456[/snapback]

Because it's interesting to see people reflect and list what albums they most liked... in a short list that's easy to read in 2 seconds. It's easily accessible.

Threads like these, (preferably done once a year, right after the end of each year) give listeners recommendations. I didn't know about CAPSULA, SOLAR FIELDS, or several others I now really know I like and dislike...until I read this thread. I thought, maybe they'll be something here I like I haven't heard that's good. If this album's good enough for someone to make it their top 5, maybe it's worth a listen. When I see an album listed in more than one persons list, it seems that it may have a greater chance of being liked.

I'm thinking of ordering several albums I didn't know existed because of this thread.

Also, I don't mind seeing where other people stand in relation to my most favorite albums of the year. Afterall, I've taken the time to write some reviews (Filteria, Apsara, Ghreg On Earth, etc..) on albums I thought were some of the best for what they are. We all believe our tastes are excellent, but whatever.. we're all different, like different stuff, some similar, and it's cool to see the similarities and differences.

The Poll is for fun. Of course it's shallow. Most people won't care a month from now, but since the year just ended, it's cool to see what people most enjoyed from the entire previous year. And this Top thread has been going on for years HERE. The poll is just something they thought would be interesting.

Lastly, there are no Awards for albums like these, and it's nice to give respect (peoples lists) to artists whom were found to have produced a TOP or favorite albums of the year. :)

Guest Elysium

Lastly, there are no Awards for albums like these, and it's nice to give respect (peoples lists) to artists whom were found to have produced a TOP or favorite albums of the year.  :)

415548[/snapback]

I would rather see people pay the artists some respect by buying their music instead of listing all their Top downloads of 2005 in a "best of" thread. I do not say thats' the case here even though I am pretty sure quite afew of those who post here dont buy much music. I am not pointing at anyone particular so do not take it personal unless i hit the nail ;)

my opinion of course :ph34r:

I have to ask: Why a debate about the relevance of a best of list?

I mean, I can appreciate the point of view that the entire idea is ridicilous. Taste is individual - how ones own favourites are liked by others is irrelevant. Therefore I can understand if one doesn't want to participate and that one wants to flash the opinion that the whole idea is stupid.

But from there to almost argue against other people having such a list is harder for me to understand. If people find it funny to make such a list, then ...?

As for myself, sure, I'm curious to see what other people rate as best of, even if doesn't make me feel any different about what I like. On the other hand, if people persistently say this or that album is fantastic and among the best of 2005, I will be curious to find out if it's something for me. Hell, the only reason I just ordered Derango is because of the exstatic reviews I've read here :)

About the nomination of late 2005 releases over early 2005 releases, yeah, my point was just to mention the issue. I've heard that in the danish music awards a list is made out containing all the albums that can be voted for to avoid people overlooking early releases. This had proven to be a problem in the past, and the list apparently solved this problem. At least more early releases started winning. I am not suggesting any voting procedures!! Just wanted to see if the same tendency could be traced here and thought I'd share what I found out :ph34r:

I'll hand in my list once I've heard that so very much talked about Derango Tumult. But can it really be better than Artifakts II ... ...?!? :lol:

apples and oranges...  ;)

415592[/snapback]

Well, I'm only gonna make one top 5 list so it all has to fit there. :) But from what I've heard, yeah, I understand derango stylewise is very different from artifakt. Really looking forward to hearing it though. Seems it's found quite an audience on psynews :rolleyes:

I would rather see people pay the artists some respect by buying their music instead of listing all their Top downloads of 2005 in a "best of" thread.  I do not say thats' the case here even though I am pretty sure quite afew of those who post here dont buy much music. I am not pointing at anyone particular so do not take it personal unless i hit the nail ;)

my opinion of course  :ph34r:

415549[/snapback]

I'm surprised you even thought of downloading when you read about "respect" in my previous post. The point I was making had to do with name recognition, (this thread for example) which helps make many people here aware of certain artists, albums, comps, etc.. they may not have knew existed before. Clearly it is obvious that certain people will always try to get music for free and others will pay. That's just obvious. As far as myself goes, if you read any of my reviews/impressions, you'd see I post a link to where the albums available to buy. Unless an album is out of print, unreleased, etc.. I encourage paying the artist. That however is a related but totally separate topic from the point I was making which you quoted.

I have to ask: Why a debate about the relevance of a best of list?

415550[/snapback]

To try to make others see the way they see things I suppose. None of it better helps develop the self so why I even write this is pointless too. People get so wrapped up in little stuff on the internet, it amazes me, especially in retrospect.

To try to make others see the way they see things I suppose. None of it better helps develop the self so why I even write this is pointless too. People get so wrapped up in little stuff on the internet, it amazes me, especially in retrospect.

415617[/snapback]

Haha, good point and in line with that I won't add anymore :) Well, just one thing. My question was directed to Elysium, and not you. From my posts you will see I agree fully with what you've written. And I'm not brown nosing B)

About the nomination of late 2005 releases over early 2005 releases, yeah, my point was just to mention the issue. I've heard that in the danish music awards a list is made out containing all the albums that can be voted for to avoid people overlooking early releases. This had proven to be a problem in the past, and the list apparently solved this problem. At least more early releases started winning. I am not suggesting any voting procedures!! Just wanted to see if the same tendency could be traced here and thought I'd share what I found out :ph34r:

415550[/snapback]

we discussed providing people with a list with all the releases of 2005. the list would have been way too big and we would have missed some releases for sure, and this fact might have brought complaints.

we discussed providing people with a list with all the releases of 2005. the list would have been way too big and we would have missed some releases for sure, and this fact might have brought complaints.

415655[/snapback]

To do that, all you have to do is go to http://www.psydb.net -> releases -> advanced search -> choose 2005 for year and hit the search button...and there you go, a list of all 2005 releases :)