07. 08:08 Weird Noises

08. 08:03 Never Turn Your Back

09. 01:19 This Is A Recording

10. 08:38 Soulgasm

11. 00:54 The Waltz Of Talpania

12. 08:44 Consciousness

13. 01:27 Lysergic Acid Diethylamide 25

14. 07:47 Reality

Australian SunDance brings us their fifth CD, second artist album, the first one was Talpa and now we are introduced to Nystagmus. Previously released at VA - SunDaze and VA - Vibraspirit 23, both SunDance Records and there's also a remix of Talpa's "Dragon Tale" featured on VA - Rehashed released by Boom Records in 2004.

Nystagmus is audio engineer Matte Gillard from Vancouver, Canada. He has 16 years of formal music training and has been instructed in a wide variety of instruments. In 1995 he began creating electronic music and has been performing live electronica for over 5 years. After being trained as a stage performer at Douglas College, he began studying audio engineering at Simon Fraser University. He worked for several years in the movie industry as a post audio engineer at Pinewood Recording Studios, learning invaluable lessons in the art of auditory psychedelia. In Nov. 2001, he purchased his first PC. 91 days later, he completed his 'pre'-debut album, and one week later he was contacted by Sundance Records. His debut album "The Immaculate Perception" combines three dimensional ambient noise construction, classical scoring, and psychedelic trance to produce a uniquely hallucinatory experience. We hope you enjoy. (Information from his web-site)

Nystagmus - A rapid, involuntary, oscillatory motion of the eyeball.

#01: Ananda

"Ananda" was one of many principal disciples of the Buddha, a devout attendant and was renowned as the Guardian of the Dharma. We start our journey through the album with the track called Ananda. Track begins with a melody played on piano then symphonic sounds come into play in the background. After the beat starts you can hear Matte play with various FX and sounds. As for the melody, it's more melancholic and a bit even depressive. Slowly it builds up to a very melodic piece and ends with the same symphonic sounds.

#02: Tommy is Dead

Poor Tommy. The track starts with a radio playing, like it was tuned and then it is destroyed by someone annoyed with that sound. Once again you hear piano-like melodies and symphonic background sounds. The samples used in this tune remind Talpa's "People Are Animals". Norator talkes about Tommy Forester who wanted to be an engineer and had a high iq =) "His problem was acid". In short the story looks like this: A friend told him to try LSD, it would give him fantastic sensations. He tried it... and his friend was right. The air was filled with rainbows. Colorful particles were coming out of the speakers. But then he looked in the mirror and something horrible happend. He saw half of his faced running away, so he was scared. He looked around the room and everybody were becoming monsters, everybody knew what was happening to Tommy because he was screaming and describing what he was seeing. Someone was trying to stop him, but he thought they were his enemies so he tried to run away to another room. There was an opened window looking out on a roof of another building. He thought he could jump on it and escape... it was 18 floores to the ground.

If you imagined the story in your mind, you can easily image the melody - dark and twisted, numerous effects and sounds underline different moments of the story to make it more colourful. ...Tommy is dead :(

#03: Things That You Don't Want To Do

Here we have a short sample, there are like 5 of them through the album. This one is 52 second long and is about LSD and it's really very funny :)

How can I get you to take it if you never taken it before? See they can try to trick you, couldn't they? They can say "Thiiisss willl reaaallly make you feeeel goood", wouldn't they? "Here's something for you to make you feel reeally good."

#04. You're Messed Up

Track starts off with the beat from the first seconds and female vocals like "Mm" come into foreground shortly. Psy-scratches! Imagine that? No? Listen to this one. They drive you almost insane and they would do that completely to you if they weren't interrupt by words "God you're messed up!". Then the new groovy sound starts taking us to the nex cimax. Numbers of sound are added making next minutes like a journey. At 5:20 beautiful melody starts, it may remind The Muses Rapt somehow. A very very nice one. More agressive pads come out from nowhere. Beautiful track.

#05: Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor

Another melodic track by Nystagmus. Matte has developed unique bass-line and his every single track can boast of it. Lots of twisted sounds here, this one sound more like an epic tune.

#06: The Marijuana Cigarette

This is a short lecture on marijuana and why to not a car while beeing stoned :) Funny tune with a funny voice.

#07: Weird Noises

What can I say? It's full of weird noises and vocal samples put through many filters on them saying "Halllluuucinatonn..." and "Unusual noises". Also a guitar here... and it sound nice :) It's distorted a bit and many noises on it making this track really... wierd. I can't copare it to anything. Tonnes of samples and effects here.

#08: Never Turn Your Back

Begining reminds me of oldschool sci-fi movies with strange electronics and computers making funny bleeping sounds. Propelling sounds build it up to a full on bass-line :) Well, it's not full on actually but very alike Vibe Tribe's "Albert Balbelt". I mean the melody first of all. Samples from Fear and loathing in Las Vegas are used here. "One of the thing you learn after years of dealing with drug-people is that you can turn your back a person but never turn your back on a drug!". But there's definitely more than one melody here and a nice melodic climax at 6:58. This track may sound simpler compared to the rest but still it's hell of a track!

#09: This Is A Recording

This is what your hear if you call someone while on acid and hear a female voice on answering machine =)

#10: Soulgasm

Soul + Orgasm. Very melodic tune. Nice sounds take you for a journey with a couple of climaxes right from the start. Nystagmus may sound very similar to Talpa and that's a fact, but if you talk about emotions that's a different story here. Talpa is darker and mysterious, Nystagmus is more colorful and twisted.

#11: The Waltz Of Talpania

A psychedelic waltz :)

#12: Consciousness

Awesome start for an awesome track. Starts with a melodic bassline - very uplifting, very psychedelic, sounding like Benza. This one is full of stereo effects so it will surely sound amazing on high volume. Melodies lead you to the end of the track.

#13: Lysergic Acid Diethylamide 25

Sample from a movie about LSD and the army. You can find it on most p2p networks. The movie shows british army trying LSD on their troops. This is audio from that clip. Also a military march here :)

#14: Reality

The album ends with this tune taking us back to the reality. Just like on every journey, on the last day before going back home you start to miss the place, people and your trip. This tune brings you such emotions but still it's very uplifting in the end. A perfect last track, imo.

Well, SunDance didn't disappoint me, that's for sure. Nystagmus brought us very psychedelic piece of music. It's very melodic, experimental and full of soul in every sound. It's about emotions here. It may sound similar to Talpa or even a mix of Benza, Vibe Tribe, The Muses Rapt and Talpa, but still it's unique. Matte is the ultimate acidhead. I mean listen to this music, look at the cover :)

I haven't heard anything so twisted and psychedelic for a long long time! I just wish there was more such high-quality music! I don't like putting marks, but I'm sure it truely deserves a "9"... at least 8.5.

Favourites: 2(!!), 4(!!), 7, 8(!), 10(!!), 12(!)

-----------------

Nystagmus: http://nystagmus.benow.ca/

SunDance: http://www.sundance23.com/

PsyShop: http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/sud/sud1cd027.html

Saiko: http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5033

Chaos-Unlimited: http://www.chaosunlimited.co.uk/cgi-bin/pr...asp?LR=SUNDCD27

Amphiton

mixed feelings about this one, some tracks are awesome but some don't seem to lead anywhere..

Track four (tommy is dead) is really outstanding. Twisted, scary, sad, beautiful. A track with a story. Beautiful mood setting strings contrasted by some dark melodies floating back and forth. Best track on the album

Favourites: 1(!), 2(!!), 3

Nice oribinal album with a cool medieval theme, not misted-muppet-medieval-castle kind of theme but rather more like.. hmm, look at the cover :)

Definately Talpa inspired but a little less chaotic which for me means it's not better than "The art of being non".

4/5

• 2 weeks later...

I have only have a cursory perspective of this album, but I can say that I like it better than Talpa - this guy mixes sounds better, his background is prominent in the quality of the recording. I may be seen as heretical in saying this, but Talpa really sounded alot like Infected Mushroom on his debut album, I liked his output on compilations much more thn anything on the album. Although the influence of Infected Mushroom is easily percieved within 5 minutes, his own sound permeates through.

I await further output with fervent anticipation, as I do with Talpa - he'll improve in leaps and bounds.

Just goes to show you how influential Classical Mushroom was.

Well, that's my first proper review, so I looked at the master :) Don't judge me for being a copycat, plz :)

312760[/snapback]

Of course I didn't judge you. I find it sympathetic...Don't worry, I liked review a lot actually... ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Nystagmus' debut album The Immaculate Perception is Infected Mushroom's brilliant Classical Mushroom album reinvented for 2005.

It's good old melodic psychedelic trance, not groundbreaking, and a bit too reminescent of the original. If Nystagmus were to develop his own style then future releases could prove to be excellent. As of now I can't help but feel that I've heard it before. Besides that, it's a beautiful album with lots of twists and turns.

3/5

I've been listening to this and can't see how you call it a reinvent of "Classical Mushroom"?

Some of his melodies have the Infected Mushroom style to them but that's about it...

I will say I find this album hard to get into unless I'm at home giving it my full attention - driving in the car the sounds don't come through right...

The way he uses sound effects though is fantastic, and the baseline style is wicked...

Track 4 is one of my favorite tracks ever - the amount of style and pinache is incredible...

I hope this guy keeps producing psytrance!

• 1 month later...

This is a real treat! Just classical piece of music! The artwork fits really well with the music, u can feel the midevil vibes all the way through :D !

It weird that this is not "more known" album than it is?! Because its such a great release, with a much more inovative sounds than most artist can come out with.

This is Definitly one of the best releases in 2005!

I don't see why people say it sounds like "Classical Mushroom" it's just very epic music aswell thats the thing that they have in common! Thats just because its picturés, story telling music does not mean its the same... that is just a way too hollow statement! Talpa has some of the same qualities but its not the same music, it has similarities to each other but it is not the same thats for sure! :ph34r:

Classical Mushroom was writing history when it was releast back in 2000 and Nystagmus - The Immaculate Perception is doing the same now.

• 2 months later...

Nice album from Nystagmus! Nice melodies and real trippy style. The only problem with Immaculate Perception is that the tracks are not so psychedelic. Most of them have a bass, percusion and one-two melodic lines, definately not so psychedelic music. But this is still good. I also love the samples, they're very funny and weird. Best track IMO is Tommy Is Dead with a fantastic intro, warm melodies and a great sample story about a guy who died becuase of acid! :lol:

I hope his second album to be a bit more crazy and it will be a blast, but Immaculate Perception is still very good. 8/10

Can't agree on this one. It would get probably 5/10 or so if I'd grade it...

Then again, I'd have to give it some more listens, but I just don't seem to dig it.

As for the Classsical Mushroom similarity:

listen to The Shen and Conciousness. 90% ripoff in the middle part.

My first post here, but I have pop in to support a fellow Canadian artist, and to say that I was very pleased when this album cam out. It's more original than a lot of psytrance these days (IMO); he uses progressions that no one else seems to use in the genre, and I think that the classical influence works very well.... Matte is representing our small but extremely healthy Vancouver scene, and with style!

I wont give it away, but props to anyone who figures out where the sample comes from on "Things that you don't want to do...."

I thought that too. This albums okay but some of the drugs samples get really irritating on repeated listens.

Quite good album. Don't know about the similarities to Classical Mushroom since I've never really listened to it. I can't stand Infected Mushroom at all! <_<

The drug samples are suppose to be funny, not "let's take alot of drugs party" style like some. I think there could've been a better set of samples to spread all over the album, but what you gonna do... B)

Can't agree on this one. It would get probably 5/10 or so if I'd grade it...

Then again, I'd have to give it some more listens, but I just don't seem to dig it.

407228[/snapback]

There are more. The fast melodic line in the 'Never Turn Your Back' track after the bassline's change is a ripoff of the piano line of the Bust A Move.

Yup. The ripoffs are present in 'your messed up too'... oh well... I have listened to it some more now, but I'm not inpressed. It sounds a lot like old Infected Mushroom (often too much like it to be good, as it lacks originality), but not as good... There are only 3 tracks on this album I like, but none of them is great :(

But at least its something different, so thumbs up anyway, I'm glad people like it.

very good album indeed..

but like already said, the style is a lot like the old infected style..

when i was listening to The Shen again this week, i thought i was listening to nystagmus cuz they were both in my playlist.. but not all songs are infected style

well I kindof lost touch with the new releases in psy lately and a lot of people recomended me this album to "get back into" psytrance. I've given it a few listens and I can't say that I'm all that impressed. The only track I like is Tommy is Dead but IMO this track isn't actually psy at all. BTW does anyone know where the sample is taken from? The voice sounds almost identitical to the one used in Talpa's People are Animals. Anyway, I REALLY like the way the artist uses little noises to enhance the sample, like for example when he says that the people in the room started turning into monsters there are little voices of monsters in the background lol

Sadly though like I said, that was the only track that I really liked, the others are just average for me and I really fail to see the complexity of melodies everyone is talking about. It all sounds pretty staightforward to me... 5/10

oh and I never really was a big fan of the IM sound (old or new) so I can't really comment on the similarities ;)