I'm doing an interview

Insejn

I got hold of this rather big psytrance artist (I won't tell you who :P) and thinking of asking them a few questions. Is there anything you always wanted to ask an artists then let me know. Any ideas of good questions besides upcoming albums and such? Here is your chance to find out what you want :)

Let me know.

I will post the interview here when it's done.

Edit: The artist is revealed further back in the thread.

What I want to know is when people will be making analogue, organic-sounding music again - why is it that if there is a filter sweep these days (and they're frighteningly rare), it's automated? Why doesn't ANYONE use knob tweaks as a way to create buildups etc anymore? Why is everyone so afraid of some barely audible hiss that they use stale-sounding software instead of hardware?

Actually, you may scrap all that and just ask this - When will psy-trance be psychedelic and trance-inducing again? 'Cause it sure aint now.

/Mr Bitter

Actually, you may scrap all that and just ask this - When will psy-trance be psychedelic and trance-inducing again? 'Cause it sure aint now.

/Mr Bitter

310770[/snapback]

Well, some of it is. :unsure:

No, imagine it's Skazi

ask him what he thinks the scene is developing to ... and if he thinks that it's a good thing...

and ask him where he sees the world of psytrance in 5 years...

I absolutely agree with ukiro but if you need some kind of different interviews as Towelie suggested better copy paste the topics from here and make it a fun ride like for example what is his kin, wheter he still takes lysergies, wheter he is snoring...:P

this is a nice thread

How many GB's of mp3's/pr0n does he have?  :P

310883[/snapback]

that's good!

my questions

1. do you ever stay and enjoy festivals during summer? or you just like to perfom and then get out of there? do you hang out in the vip/restricted area or you don't consider there is one and just enjoy a festival with all the friendly faces around? talk a little about festivals and parties.

2. how important is the money issue when scheduling a gig? would you ever go perform live to a low budget festival?

3. what do you do when you're not producing or performing?

4. a few words about your girlfriend?

****rant-alert****

Ask anyone who's seriously into producing WHY the hell everybody seems to wanna make a psy-RMX of tunes like Final Countdown or stuff by the White Stripes, rather than making something original themselves.

Is it a trend because they lack originality or because the labels push them to do it so they can sell it to Highschool Psy-freaks-in-the-making? Are they actually proud to be making this kinda C.R.A.P. or do they realise it is just that but still participate in it just because "everybody's doing it"?

Should he have any enthousiasm towards this "trend": don't even let him finish his sentence but just get up, slap'im in the face & leave the room :D

1) What are you doing?

2) Worst pain ever felt?

3) Were you ever offended by somebody here?

4) How many ppl you have on messenger?

5) What new music did you get today?

6) What color are your boogers?

7) Should EP be banned?

8) Spending too much time on psynews.org?

****rant-alert****

Ask anyone who's seriously into producing WHY the hell everybody seems to wanna make a psy-RMX of tunes like Final Countdown or stuff by the White Stripes, rather than making something original themselves.

Is it a trend because they lack originality or because the labels push them to do it so they can sell it to Highschool Psy-freaks-in-the-making? Are they actually proud to be making this kinda C.R.A.P. or do they realise it is just that but still participate in it just because "everybody's doing it"?

Should he have any enthousiasm towards this "trend": don't even let him finish his sentence but just get up, slap'im in the face & leave the room :D

310958[/snapback]

hahahahahahaha

but it's not his fault!

good point Tox, buuuuuuuut .. it is just an interview, just one artists, we can't make him answer for all our questions and all the unpleasant things that bother us.

and we can't make him talk bad about other artists .. unless he wants to :rolleyes:

"WHY the hell everybody seems to wanna make a psy-RMX of tunes like Final Countdown or stuff by the White Stripes, rather than making something original themselves"

please allow me to answer: maybe they want to be on mtv!

actually, when i was a very new newbie in psy, i told some friends: it would be interesting to hear you remix a depeche mode song, or to make a remake in your own style. but nothing official, just for fun ..

and then i heard the beginning of Wizzy Noise - Sabotage and said: hm.. :)

still, it's not the same. don't think i'm putting this all together with Final Countdown & shit. i'm not. i just remembered it now.

also:

1) Why is it that Simon Posford's music is so much better than the rest?

2) Who is the worst artist in the scene?

3) Who is the most overrated artist in the scene?

4) How much money would you pay for Simon Posford's talent?

5) You do understand the the music you make is shitty and boring?

6) Which is better, soulseek or dc++?

1) What are you doing? Right now.

2) Worst pain ever felt?

3) Were you ever offended by somebody here?

4) How many ppl you have on messenger?

5) What new music did you get today?

6) What color are your boogers?

7) Should EP be banned?

8) Spending too much time on psynews.org?

310964[/snapback]

hahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha

boy, you're not sane :)

A slow day at the office here, so I'll write some questions, using the CODE tag to separate them from the rest of the text:

Psychedelic trance music was first concieved to be something alien - otherworldly music for otherworldly experiences. All the early stuff was highly experimental. Sounds, keys, patterns and song structures deviated from almost all other music that existed at the time. As the genre has grown, all these elements have slowly vanished, to the point where mainstream psy-trance of today does not push the musical envelope more than any MTV- R'n'B music. Why has the genre gone from being something where innovation and surprise were key elements, to the conformity and formulaic production we hear today?

I know what I would answer here, but it would be interesting to hear a big name's take on this topic, especially if said person was around from the beginning, back when there WAS innovation =)

A slightly shorter one:

Do you consider yourself to be producing primarily dance music or psychedelic music? If the latter, wouldn't the psychedelic effects of music be easier to achieve with less restriction in terms of tempo, time signatures, sounds, song structures etc, than what the psy-trance dogma currently allows?

If the artist is simon posford you can safely cross out that question =)

Another question:

For me, music becomes enjoyable when it changes my state of mind to something that is interesting - not necessarily alltogether pleasant, because music could also be used as a tool for inner exploration, a way to reach states of mind that are otherwise difficult to get to. Do you agree with this view? If not, what attracts you to music as a listener and as a producer?

...and another follow-up to that:

Do you enjoy listening to the same type of music as you like to create, or is the output and the input separate needs?

This I've wanted to discuss for a long time:

In this question I talk about a drugged state of mind, but what I mean is a hallucinatory, psychedelic and tranced-out state which could be created by other means as well, so I'm not necessarily advocating the use of drugs. But assuming that you agree there is a connection between psychoactive drugs and this music (historically, at least), do you prefer when psy-trance music attempts to describe the mindstate that psychedelic drugs create, or when the music tries to induce said state?  Or is there perhaps a third alternative, where the music and the drugs combined create a third element, a state of mind, that either of the two cannot reach on their own?

Do you agree that the role of psychedelics has diminished over the years?

Oh, and these things I just have to ask:

Do you buy a lot of records?

What music do you listen to outside of the studio? Both electronic and other stuff.

Do you ever like to challenge your mind with music that is really hard to understand, or do you find that frustrating and pointless? If you enjoy doing this sometimes, name some really "difficult" music that you have come to enjoy.

Where do you get info about new music? Do you ever go hunting for new stuff, exploring new genres, labels or artists?

This ties back to the first question somewhat, so you might want to sort these in a different order when/if you forward them to the artist:

How conscious are you about the commercial aspects of a track while producing? Do you ever say to yourself "this sounds awesome, but people might not get it, so I'll change it to something else"? Would you like to release more experimental music than the market demand allows?

And in the same vein as that question:

As a veteran producer, do you still experiment a lot with your equipment, or do you mainly use the tricks you already know? What was the last cool technical thing trick you did, production-wise?

And more:

Artists in the electronica/IDM field like aphex twin and autechre have played live gigs without a single note of released music, and sometimes exclusively played ultra-experimental stuff that resembles noise or sound art more than music - is this something you'd like to do, or do you prefer pleasing the majority of the crowd?

I'll post some more later perhaps.

EDIT: tried to fix the first drug-question a bit, it's tricky to get it right... still a bit too easy to misunderstand but whatever.

after this thread, Insejn will be seen as the toughest interviewer in the psy scene.

all artists will fear his questions.

we can also make some online form with our questions, and ask the X artist:

- scuse me Mr. X, would you like to give an interview for psynews?

- yes

- cool, here's the link - *link* - fill up that form please.

that would be funny. :D