7 Most Influential Electronica Artists

seraph

Huh, okay, we got now too deep into the subject. You guys started speculating about trance artists, not real electronica producers. From that perspective I could add Speedy J, Sven Vath, Oliver Lieb and the rest but they all belong to trance/ambient crowd.

I wanted to post about old school ones but I specificaly meant new school artists, so EP, don't try to prove me wrong again. Of course they are true pioneers from whom everything started but as I said I meant artists that appear at ther end of eighties till now, our generation of nutters. :)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it Seraph, in your initial post you limit yourself to UK ambient/ electronica producers from the early 90s (not really "infulential" IMO when you keep in mind that the whole acid house electronic music scene started around 1988...) and then you speak about "real electronica producers" and "not limiting yourself to one crowd"... no offense but it seems to me that your initial top 7 was VERY limited to a certain crowd... you completely forget about minimal techno, trance, hardcore, D&b as well as the whole electronic music scene outside the UK... And once we know that the British come after the Germans you're missing out completely on a whole group of "influencers"...

Huh, Lemmi, I somehow knew I'd be leading this conversation with u...;) First, you are right if we considered artists that started era of tweak and twirl, but I literally meant the ones that FORMED the genre, developed style and not the ones that made few tracks with which they can't influence others. You think Technohead influenced others with cheesy melodies and immature sounds ? No way ! Just because someone was making something before someone doesn't mean he actually influenced them... :huh:

Seriously, Underworld, Orbital, Plastikman, Prodigy and that stuff is just boring... Let's forget it and be happy that electronic music doesn't sound that way anymore ;)

Kraftwerk on the other hand, is magic.

261962[/snapback]

Must agree here I find all of these bands boring & repetitive. I like psy cuz it has a build up & layers while this stuff seems montone. Having said that I do like a couple prodigy songs. As for other electronic artists I'd say skinny puppy, front line assembly & kmfdm who are more metal then electronic now but back in the day were very electric.

Just because someone was making something before someone doesn't mean he actually influenced them...

huh :blink: I'd say that indeed if someone was making music before in a certain style and that afterwards a LOT of people copied his style then it's pretty much proof that they played a major role in influencing, don't you think?

Take a track like Anne Clark - Our Darkness... it was remixed to death to the point that very few people actually know it was initially made by Anne Clark in the first place BUT this was almost trance and it was made in 1983!! And I guess that all the remixing shows that a LOT of producers later on listened to her stuff when kids/ teens hence they wanted to pay her a tribute.

And yeah, maybe Technohead wasn't a pioneer in the true sense of the term but I was mostly thinking about the GTO project. And then if one producer is behind more than one trend, then it's all merit to him, no?

oh and

you are right if we considered artists that started era of tweak and twirl

no no no... if you were to start with those you'd have to go all the way back to the 1940s and the "Musique Concrete" movement which is when artists actually started making music exclusively by using synths! (yes, that's about 30 years BEFORE Kraftwerk's debut album... just to put things into perspective...)

BTW since you mention Richard D James, did you know that he claims that his major influence came from a certain Karlheinz Stockhausen who made his debuts around 1960?

Prodigy isnt very repetitive. All their albums are different style (the last one is supposed to be bad tho, havenät heard it myself)

262180[/snapback]

They may not be repetitive but i find them kind of boring. The first album is built upon this formula: Breakbeat + piano + smurf voices + melodies that are very much like those in cheese trance but with different chords taking away the epic-ness but keeping the dull-factor behind.

I dont own the other ones, but from what i've heard, they are not worth mentioning.

How come you haven't heard his old hit single ALPHA WAVE  ? It was hypnotic, psychedelic, monotonic brilliant song, especially System 7 Rmx of it...Amazing !

261831[/snapback]

Actually it's the other way around, the track is by System 7, and remixed by Plastikman. The remix is over 19 minutes long, and indeed a brilliant piece of acid. :)

Seriously, Underworld, Orbital, Plastikman, Prodigy and that stuff is just boring... Let's forget it and be happy that electronic music doesn't sound that way anymore ;)

Kraftwerk on the other hand, is magic.

261962[/snapback]

What are you talking about man? Acts like Orbital, Underworld and Plastikman are among the most prolific in the history of electronic music, and is definetely not "boring". Music like this is still being made, even though it doesn't sound exactly the same. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad. :rolleyes:

Silly topic. Prodigy boring? Chemical Brothers boring? Underworld boring? Tell that to millions of fans of their sound. They had a HUGE impact on the scene. Like it or not.

In the other hand, people that really were originators and influential (IMHO) are:

Kraftwerk, Brian Eno, Depeche Mode, New Order, Africa Bambataa, Artur Baker, Rick Rubin, Giorgio Moroder, Leftfield, Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Faithless (remember their unique pizzicatto sound that was bastardized by hundreds of German/Dutch producers after Salva Mea and Insomnia?), Aphex Twin, BT, FSOL and perhaps a lot more.

Also there are a lot of other kick ass names that didn't invent nothing but still kicked some butt:

Way Out West, Fluke, Moby (very inconsistent, but had a great deal in forming US house/techno scene. He is widely ignored and minimized against his Detroit partners, but i totally disagree).

And surely several djs had also a strong influence:

Franky Knuckles, Jeff Mils (and all the Detroit gang), Paul Oakenfold, Sasha, Danny Tennaglia and much more.

My 3 pennies.

Tell that to millions of fans of their sound. They had a HUGE impact on the scene.

oh I'd say that has more to do with the fanaticism of british drunken football supporters... Why do you think that Underworld's biggest hit was one were they shouted "Lager Lager Lager!!!" :) Now I'm not saying that those bands aren't good, just that Brit fanaticism take "normal" bands and put them way up there as if they were half-gods... That and Man U and Liverpool footbal teams :)

I mean fucking hell, there was a time when if you walked into a British pub and said "Oasis sucks!" out loud, you'd probably never make it out of there with all your teeth...

Influential is the same as popular?

or influential means "the originators of the current electronic scene"?

If youre talking about the most influential electronic artist, you gotta find the one that put the 4/4 beat and hit hats on a record. :rolleyes:

Well, Orbital, Underworld, Prodigy...they all had a place in the charts, Orbital even appeared in the Top of the Pops IIRC, they all put the electronic scene a little bit closer to the mainstream. You can call them influential as they took the music to the masses.

Now if youre referring to the founding fathers of electronica, yeah, you can put Africa Bambaata along with Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, New Order and even John Cage!!

no no no... if you were to start with those you'd have to go all the way back to the 1940s and the "Musique Concrete" movement which is when artists actually started making music exclusively by using synths! (yes, that's about 30 years BEFORE Kraftwerk's debut album... just to put things into perspective...)

BTW since you mention Richard D James, did you know that he claims that his major influence came from a certain Karlheinz Stockhausen who made his debuts around 1960?

262268[/snapback]

Stockhausen is a giant, though not easy to understand.

New Order,KLF,The Orb,Prodigy,Kraftwerk and much more, less known artists.

Definetely not Orbital or Underworld.

263744[/snapback]

They are just as influential as the rest you mentioned. (at least The Orb & Prodigy)

261962[/snapback]

No offence but you are an utter idiot.

• 2 weeks later...

My 7? For modern electronica sounds? OK.... I'll try :P

In no particular order:

New Order was one of the most influential club-dance bands, while still retaining a somewhat 'rock' edge to their sound. Originally one of the founding goth-rock bands as Joy Division (which were a huge influential figure in their own right until the suicide of their singer), they wrote songs that were instantly danceable and memorable, yet contained intricate synth, bass and drumming sequences (for their time). Though they never seemed sure if they wanted to go rock or house, they had a big hand in introducing people to the rave scene going on in England in the late 80's.

Key albums: Power, Corruption and Lies (1983), Substance (1987), Technique (1989)

Depeche Mode were perhaps the first true megastar synth band. They reached massive sales and influence all across the world and in countless bands, genres, styles and trends. Starting off as a light, fluffy synth-pop band and evolving throughout the 80's into a musical tour-de-force, and carrying much of that momentum into the 90's, delving into industrial, ambient and electro sounds. They also had a hand in popularizing the remix, as they've always flooded the market with various versions of singles, remix albums, promo-only tracks, etc.

Key albums: Violator (1990), Ultra (1998), The Singles 81-85 (1998), The Singles 86-98 (1998)

Aphex Twin was one of the first major stars of the 90's electronica scene, while his sales figures never reached star levels, the Richard D. James name became a trademark of quality, whether it was a release under one of his many side projects, or a remix. While his style tended to develop towards the IDM & drill&bass style over time, his music always remained varied, unpredictable, and immaculately crafted.

Key albums: Selected Ambient Works 85-92 (1993), Selected Ambient Works Vol. 2 (1994), Classics (1995), Richard D. James Album (1996)

Underworld fused many styles currently reigning the club scene when they were each blossoming into their own genres, and brought them into the mainstream. Techno, acid house, progressive, dub, and trance were all thrown into the mix. Underworld hit a high point scoring a worldwide hit with Born Slippy from the Trainspotting soundtrack. Although the quality of the group's music tapered off, mostly due to the loss of longtime producer Darren Emerson, their old albums are still used as a blueprint for the most standard sounds in club music.

Key albums: Dubnobasswithmyheadman (1993), Second Toughest In The Infants (1996), 1992-2002 (2003)

Prodigy were the group that made techno popular-more popular than it had perhaps ever been. Fusing the attitude and fashion of punk rock with hard Detroit-styled techno, the Prodigy scored major mainstream success in the late 90's, after slowly but surely building up fanbase in the UK. Though after a major break the band had lost its verility, the old Prodigy albums are still a massive influence on much harder techno and jungle.

Key albums: Experience (1992), Music For The Jilted Generation (1995), The Fat Of The Land (1997)

The Orb is easily the biggest, most influential figure in ambient music today. They popularized many styles in the movement, from ambient house/trance to ambient-dub. Influenced largely by Brian Eno and the rave scene of the late 80's, Alex Patterson went on to create some of the most recognizable ambient house anthems of the 90's.

Key albums: Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld (1991), U.F. Orb (1992), Orblivion (1997)

Massive Attack was the most influential trip-hop band, almost single-handedly popularizing a style woven together from hiphop, dub, jazz, and soul. While the style became somewhat demonized by the late-90's due to lack of original artists, Massive Attack not only led the way for other trip-hop artists, but also influenced countless other bands around the world.

Key albums: Bluelines (1991), Protection (1994), Mezzanine (1998)

Chemical Brothers are my 8th choice. Last but not least. Guess I just couldn't keep it to 7, huh? ;) Well what can be said about the Bros.? They've dipped their fingers in a ton of styles, from rock to big beat to techno to hiphop to trip hop to house to tribal, they've scored major club and radio hits, and have influenced an entire generation of clubbers, and the new generation continues to be influenced by them. Ehhh screw a career summary, just listen to the fucking albums :P

Key albums: Exit Planet Dust (1995), Dig Your Own Hole (1997), Singles 93-03 (2003)

Wow... this was hard!

Hope someone learned something from it.

You people are forgetting alot of good artists.

All the psytrancers listened to prodigy, underworld, the orb, etc :P .

But what about Roni Size or Paul oakenfold?

I'm not the biggest fan of them either but you can't deny the made their marks on electronic music. But they are more the "behind the big scene" kind of people i geuss. electronic workaholics :lol:

Kraftwerk is still the group I have closest to my heart.

I have fond memories as a young know-it-all in the 1970s taking my Kraftwerk albums to school and proudly declaring that this was the future of music...only then to be mocked mercilessly by my peers (all of them who listened to much cooler groups like Clash, Led Zepellin etc).

I used to sit by my stereo and marvel at the music coming out. I had other electronic albums as well, but nothing amazed me more than Kraftwerk. Not even J-M Jarre's Oxygene (his music never had the pointed attack of Kraftwerk, anyway).

Pedro

PS Later (around 1986, I think), I ran into trouble again when I proclaimed to my friends that House and Techno were the future of dance music, only to be informed that it was 'gay' music (more House than the Techno). Boy, was I happy when it later started to get mainstream...

What about Ferry Corsten... stuff like System F and Gouryella.. eurotrance with the typical big synth stringsounds... around '98/'99 he and some others made eurotrance/dutch cheesetrance the most popular form of dance music, I guess... an enormous amount of similar stuff followed.. influential wether you like it or not.

im not gonna go throught 7 acts cause i think all the basics have been covered...

for me personally... i would not look at electronic music the way i do today if it had not been for AUTCHRE (yeah man!) and later on with Boards of Canada... yes they are not as old as kraftwerk, and they don't have the popularity of the prodigy but thats just my view of the world