7 Most Influential Electronica Artists

seraph

Huh, yes, it would be really difficult to choose 7 Most Influential Artists here cause there are heaps of them but I will try to be as objective as possible no matter cause someone thinks it is not that objective. I will talk about artists that are really here from very beginning making the history.

FUTURE SOUND OF LONDON

This London based electronic duo ( Brian Dougans & Garry Cobain ) is one of the most creative and innovative english producers nowadays. Founded in 1989, at very beginning of electronic blast, they develpoed their unique style entirely based on generic sounds, tribal beats, crystal effects and enchanting and dark melodies. Their combination of different styles morphing one to another is perfect result of incredible sonic manipulation they perform. They progressed very fast and started making their own clips, trips, visuals. They made 4 official FSOL albums and 2 Amorphous Androgynous. They also released many single discs and remixes making their discography even bigger and more rich. Their amazing combination of trip hop, ambient, trance, breakbeat is really perfect blend, making new directions in ambient techno and house. All of their albums have some concept and could be considered as classics but they key ones are : LIFEFORMS, ISDN, DEAD CITIES and Amorphous Androgynous album TALES OF EPHIDRINA. There is also Brian Dougans project before FSOL called Humanoid with one released album called SESSIONS 84-88.

THE ORB

Here is another London based duo ( Alex Paterson & Thomas Hellmann ) formed in 1989. Their are with FSOL the most trippy artists in England. They also released numerous albums, also making amazing crossovers in ambient and dub genre, combining various styles and forming them and beautifully packing them as ear candies. They also released very variable albums, for real trippers. Their first album THE ADVENTURES BEYOND THE ULTRAWORLD was great debut for the group, being very experimental and innovative. They moved onto other style for the next one U.F.ORB which was spacey ambient piece completely different than previous one. That one was real gem but the next one ORBUS TERRARUM is their best album. Crystal clear ambient and dub structures mixed with twisted noises was the best effort they did. ORBLIVION was also very trippy album and even though it is slightly weaker, it could still be considered as one of the key albums. They also released slightly weaker albums CYDONIA and BICYCLES AND TRICYCLES where they changed their style quite a bit and went to commerical realms. They also released numerous singles and their own remixes and have huge discography.

APHEX TWIN

Here is one very unique crazy artist also from England that is definite influence on so many electronic artists nowadays. He started making music very young, when he was 14 and then he made the best music for me, even though it wasn't produced as good as his new stuff, his ambient works were quite amazing. He was first making ambient and then he moved onto more experimental mixture of twisted electronica over wacked breakbeat, thru ambient techno stuff finsihing with wild, diabolic noises that comes from the darknes...hehe...His deviant sense of humour is very appealing to all the druggies and crazyess around. he surely knows how to play with your grey cells and could be proclaimed as master at it. He is also hyperactive artist but beside occasional non sense, he mostly makes sense, in some twisted way. Key albums : SELECTED AMBIENT WORKS 85-92, SELECTED AMBIENT WORKS 2, I CARE BECAUSE YOU DO, RICHARD D.JAMES ALBUM, CLASSICS. He truly has his own style and no one can top his crazyness.

PLASTIKMAN

Now this one is quite different artist. Mostly experienced in techno areas his albums are real minimal ambient techno pieces and he really is playing gently but intensly with your brain. His minimal, yet rich structures are what makes him so special. He also developed his style and made quite a few very good albums. His music could be called as nice fusion of gentle acid house mixed with deep detroit techno but always perfectly arranged and mastered. In most of his ambient albums he is doing hypnotic droning of your mind. he likes to twist it with loads of 303 and he is surely not selfish with it. His key albums are : SHEET ONE, MUSIK, ARTIFAKTS, CONSUMED, CLOSER, RECYCLED PLASTIK.

ORBITAL

These 2 brothers gathered in 1987 and made quite a good group that was for its time pretty progressive in the dance area. They also developed their style that was nice mixture of warm techno beats and trippy electronica. They also went back to the roots producing retro kind of music, progressively arranged in the modern suit. They like to play also, in funny and clever ways, they are jokers, but at the same time very serious. It seem that one of the brothers is joker and other one is serious. It could be easily heard, the difference between them that makes this group so unique. Key albums : YELLOW ALBUM, BROWN ALBUM, SNIVILISATION, INSIDES. Their lates installement BLUE ALBUM could be among them if they haven't joked a little bit too much on few songs.

UNDERWORLD

These three member group also formed in London in 1988 very quickly became one of the hottest electronica acts cause of their likeable energy and great harmonic structures they did with their dance music. They developed dance music in a natural way, making very nice songs with urban texts; sometimes apsurd, sometimes real, but overall very positive vibe they are spreading. I haven't heard their first 2 short albums they released before perfect one DUBNOBASSWITHMYHEADMAN. That album was stunning blend of morning techno housey rhythms and deep clubby songs that were perfect for dancing. Their deep, bouncey style is so recognisible. Their next album is their best one SECOND THOUGHEST IN THE INFANTS is superb album. This album gave some kind of definition of urban techno. BEAUCOUP FISH was incredibly innovative, experimental effort by them and is also their second best. EVERYTHING EVERYTHING live was great but it wasn't an official album. Their latest album was different turn for them which doesn't fit them have to say.

THE PRODIGY

This demented, wild group formed in 1990 in Essex in England. Since the very beginning they developed their crazy, demented style which was in beginning very tame, jumpy and bouncey. They invented cyber fun back then with their album EXPERIENCE and were the first one that introduced 'rave' feel in their music. Kindergarden uplifters, spacey, bouncey sounds all around, demented effects and overall lunatic feel with some serious twists made this album the landmark in modern dance music. Their second one, THE MUSIC FOR THE JILTED GENERATION is THE definition of commerical techno/trance and is considered as their best and most rich album by group. It consisited almost all classics and was overall very unique demented dance album. THE FAT OF THE LAND presented group in different light...ranging from deviant sneaky techno to more psychedelic stuff finishing with very bad punk. Before they they released their latest BAD EFFORT they produced heaps of club and party singles, doing various kind of experiments with techno. They actually haven't released so many albums but they are certainly one of the most influential artists for other optimistic young techno freaks.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Orb

Orbital

Kraftwerk <- How could you miss them? Even if they produced a lot of shit, they have most certainly been influential on the electronic scene.

Juno Reactor <- Yes, they have massively influenced everything

Underworld

Leftfield <- perhaps... at least with their first album.

Robert Miles? Children was a massive breakthrough for electronic, and everyone started copying it.

I would also nominate

Boards of Canada

Even if they have not been here as long as most of the previously mentionned artists, they have pretty much added a whole new meaning to electronica. Their really relaxed style that seems like a dream is super intelligent with all sorts of sounds moving everywhere. The duo from Scotland is also what appeals to this group. They are two person living in a very remote place, their music gives a whole new feeling that is rarely given in a track. I'd recommend Geogaddi and Music as a right to children.

Kraftwerk <- How could you miss them? Even if they produced a lot of shit, they have most certainly been influential on the electronic scene.

261812[/snapback]

Umm, yes, I missed them deliberately of course cause I meant new electronic producers from end of eighties when new school electronica developed, Kraftwerk is old school electronica that with Jean Michel Jarre and Tangerine Dream and Vangelis belong to the ones that influenced them.

Umm, yes, I missed them deliberately of course cause I meant new electronic producers from end of eighties when new school electronica developed, Kraftwerk is old school electronica that with Jean Michel Jarre and Tangerine Dream and Vangelis belong to the ones that influenced them.

261816[/snapback]

Ok. So only new school artists here?

Well, yes, that is what I meant. New school artists started using different machines, making different kind of electronica. Of course we have to mention real old schoolers...;)

Ummm, alpha, you really haven't heard about Plastikman ? :huh:

Richie Hawtin ? Does that ring any bell ? I just realised I forgot to put his name there...;)

Ummm, alpha, you really haven't heard about Plastikman ?  :huh:

Richie Hawtin ? Does that ring any bell ? I just realised I forgot to put his name there...;)

261826[/snapback]

Actually I've heard very little of him also. Once, perhaps, have I seen him be mentioned.

How come you haven't heard his old hit single ALPHA WAVE ? It was hypnotic, psychedelic, monotonic brilliant song, especially System 7 Rmx of it...Amazing !

Ummm, alpha, you really haven't heard about Plastikman ?  :huh:

261826[/snapback]

well i recognize the name but have no clue about his music or the alias Plastikman

for me.... please add

THE CRYSTAL METHOD

261835[/snapback]

bah.. IMO they just copied prodigy and chem bros and sucked at it

well i recognize the name but have no clue about his music or the alias Plastikman

bah.. IMO they just copied prodigy and chem bros and sucked at it

261845[/snapback]

Prodigy sucks! I saw them live and it was awful. Chem Bros are inconsistent.

Crystal Method OWN3Z! they are the only electronic act of the 3 with true ACID sounds! Check out "Vegas"

They win it for me.

:P

P.S. OH MY GOSH WE FORGOT DEPECHE MODE!

When Frankie Knuckles was asked:"How does it feel to be the originator of House Music?" he said:"Don't ask me, ask Depeche Mode!"

Plastikman, Crystal Method and Underworld aren't so influencial I think...

I believe Kraftwerk is a safe bet for No 1. AS for others, I don't know. I have self been influenced mostly by Depeche Mode from the really old ones. I guess That band who made the Blue Monday track (New Order?) could also be named, cause it is supposed to be the 1st techno track. Herbie Hancock could be named and.... umm.. This is ofcource getting messy again ...

Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Orb, Orbital arecorrect I think... Also maybe Goldie and Photek for jungle from the newer ones.. I don't know the subject very well tho

Guest .::E.P

Here my list. And as all these "who's best and most this and that" topics. It's all about taste. - and a litttle facts too ;)

hmmmm why 7? Why not 5 or 10?

1. Brian Eno

He is one of the pioneers of electronic music and one if not the first ambient electronic artist in the world.

2. Tangerine Dream

Again a old pioneer band that had a huge influence on many later electronic artists.

3. Kraftwerk

No one can make a list without mentining Kraftwerk. They revolutionised synth music and created music that was way ahead of time. It still is.

4. Jean Michel Jarre

Just as Kraftwerk this wizard of futuristc electronic music has played a huge role in modern electronic music. Where Kraftwerk are more "robotic" Jarre is more melodic and atmopsphereic but yet just as much ahead of time.

5. Depeche Mode

The boys from UK had a very big impact on how synth music developed from the early 80's until today. I doubt the musical "landscape" would be the same today if it wasen't for Depeche.

Moving on to modern day bands The Orb must be one of the most influential electronic bands ever. It's quite sure that without The Orb bands like Eat Static and Future Sound Of London and most chill / downbeat / dub would probably never been what it is today.

Last but not least I have to mention Juno Reactor. Juno set new standards in electronic music blending everything from tribal to Opera into the music. No one quite sound like Ben. He's unique.

Guest .::E.P

261816[/snapback]

hmm thats not what the topic-headline says... it says:

"7 Most Influential Electronica Artists" ;)

That's kind of a all range topic when you write the topic headline like that. And therefore you simply cant leave out the pioneers ;)

So I included the pionners of my choice. ;)

Well,

I think we all own our lives to two people. Ralph hautter and Lorien schneider, better known as kraftwerk (power plan in German).

the two guy's met each other in the conservatory in the industrial city of dueseldorff in wester Germany, but insted of studying classic music they have listend to the noises of the factories and industry around them.... which sounded to them like music.

the first album they released called "kraftewrk". it was released in 1970 ans its the first electronic music album ever to be relsead.....

And the rest is History :)

3. Kraftwerk

No one can make a list without mentining Kraftwerk. They revolutionised synth music and created music that was way ahead of time. It still is.

261906[/snapback]

Good old Kraftwerk. I remeber when I was a little kid, even younger than now, listening to tracks like Metropolis and so on. DAMN! these were great.. :)

Seriously, Underworld, Orbital, Plastikman, Prodigy and that stuff is just boring... Let's forget it and be happy that electronic music doesn't sound that way anymore ;)

Kraftwerk on the other hand, is magic.

OK, if we are to keep it to the "modern electronica" artists, here is my list:

I can't believe so little tribute is payed to The KLF ... these guys started the trance as well as "modern" chill-out trends... Started to make electronic music around 1987 (warning: stay away from their stuff previous to 87 or else you'll be VERY dissapointed!! Unliess you like Welsh hip-hop...)

Also a certain Sven Vath was DJing electronic music since.. 1982!!... If you are to point out a single most influential artist on trance/ techno who's still pretty active today it would be him.

Also another artist who played a HUGE role in influencing what was to become "trance" nearly a decade later was Anne Clark . It's not trance music, it's more like music in the background for her poems (you probably already heard tons of samples from her earlier work under various remixes, ie. that female voice which says "Wrong becomes right, right becomes wrong"). Anyway it was the music playing in the background that was to become industrial and trance later on. And the dark deep vocals were to stir up the goth movement... Yes she was already doing this in 1982- 1983!!

Michael Wells who has been behind a whole lot of groups ranging from the starters of "acid house" GTO (Greater than One) around 1985 to one of the pioneers of hardcore and happy hardcore Technohead ... Basically if you were to trace back all the "stupid music" trend (you know, idiotic catchy melodies, heavy bassline and referals to drugs) it would be Technohead

Phuture ... didn't release much tracks BUT we owe the use of 303 as an "acid line" to them!!! Just think about it: if it wasn't for this band releasing Acid Tracks in 1987 we probably would never have had acid techno, trance and goatrance!!

Confetti's made This is the Sound of C in 1988... It was to become an acid house anthem. They were also the ones responsible with the mental association of the Smiley with acid house and Es... Actually their This is the Sound of C was later on remixed into This is the sound of Es...

Much of the whole minimal bangin' techno trend (ranging from Detroit techno to techtrance) is due to Derrick May who was already making minimal beats since 1987. Ever since besically every artist into minimal techno has been copying his style...

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

yes KLF + JAM & Spoon/Dance 2 Trance

but no way Sven Väth, a big lamer only interested by £ & $, do you know that he never produced anything under his own name but it was Ralf Hildenbeutel aka Earth Nation for psytrance stuffs (sorry if misspelling his name) who did really all the job.

Sven was just good enough to be the 'Off' singer, an electro-pop band of end 80's (Electrica Salsa);that's the only musical thing he really accomplished.

Seriously, Underworld, Orbital, Plastikman, Prodigy and that stuff is just boring... Let's forget it and be happy that electronic music doesn't sound that way anymore ;)

Kraftwerk on the other hand, is magic.

261962[/snapback]

Orbital isn't boring! Underworld is sometimes, but buy their Best Of CD to hear some very good stuff.

but no way Sven Väth, a big lamer only interested by £ & $, do you know that he never produced anything under his own name but it was Ralf Hildenbeutel aka Earth Nation for psytrance stuffs (sorry if misspelling his name) who did really all the job.

Sven was just good enough to be the 'Off' singer, an electro-pop band of end 80's (Electrica Salsa);that's the only musical thing he really accomplished.

hmm I don't know about that one... of course you'll always have the "Big shouter who stole all the credits and became famous Vs the man in the background who did everything but never recieved proper recognition" debate (which is usually the way it happens everywhere, not just the music intustry). However I picked Sven Vath for more reasons that just his (or his collaborator's) music. First of all, the way I heard it, indeed Sven had someone to push the buttons for him but it was he who had the vision of the tracks. The "other guy" was more of a sound engineer, not an actual composer. And then you have everything else Sven did to promote electronic music, namely his Eye-Q label and a famous club in Germany (of which I always forget the name :( ). So I'd say that he earned his place in the top influencers of electronica :)

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

hmm I don't know about that one... of course you'll always have the "Big shouter who stole all the credits and became famous Vs the man in the background who did everything but never recieved proper recognition" debate (which is usually the way it happens everywhere, not just the music intustry). However I picked Sven Vath for more reasons that just his (or his collaborator's) music. First of all, the way I heard it, indeed Sven had someone to push the buttons for him but it was he who had the vision of the tracks. The "other guy" was more of a sound engineer, not an actual composer. And then you have everything else Sven did to promote electronic music, namely his Eye-Q label and a famous club in Germany (of which I always forget the name :( ). So I'd say that he earned his place in the top influencers of electronica :)

262017[/snapback]

yep Eye Q but i don't it consider it as much important as you :rolleyes:

You're wrong about Ralf Hildenbeutel, he's a real musician, producer, the best proof is that Ralk keep going producing electronic music not Sven ;) , so definitivly he isn't just a sound engineer (btw i don't iknow if he is, i trust you about that) & you can check it with this track: Earth Nation - Green Sky Is Red ;)