Show me your record/CD collection

Guest Astro Cortex

I don't have a picture of my CD collection right now, but it's now reached 2250 (all originals)... The list can be seen here:

http://www.discogs.com/user/PKS

I have a CD WALL that I built myself... Some carpenter work had to be done to get everything as I wanted. I have all artist albums sorted alphabetical by artists, and all compilations sorted alphabetical by labels... If I didn't have such a system, it would have been inpossible to find a record when there is a special one I want to listen to...

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i suppose i should just let the image speak but sometime i run in the shadow ashamed of how much i spent...

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m122/dr...ANCE/?start=all

well i suppose i should just let the image speak but sometime i run in the shadow ashamed of how much i spent...

You should be ashamed <_<

Shame on You :angry:

as punishment for your evil, you should send all your music to me.

My address is

Abasio

2 Japan Street

Japan

You should be ashamed <_<

Shame on You :angry:

as punishment for your evil, you should send all your music to me.

My address is

Abasio

2 Japan Street

Japan

Good call buddy. And if he sends his music, youll have to hook me up with some of it, considering I live right down the street. :lol:

Good call buddy. And if he sends his music, youll have to hook me up with some of it, considering I live right down the street. :lol:

It's on it's way!

Cheers Draeke :lol:

It's on it's way!

Cheers Draeke :lol:

;) yup! enjoy! :D

you must be pretty famous to have such a an address (just a nick no surname ehe)

It seems to me by looking at everyones pictures of their music collections, that everybody keeps the actual album cases that the cd originally came in. I take out the cd and booklet and discard the actual cd album plastic case. If it is a cd where the booklet is actually part of the album case, I will cut the front cover and tracklisting on the back out and throw away the remains. If it is the rare occasion that the booklet is part of the albums casing and it also has another booklet insert inside, then I will keep the cds original album case. If I kept every one of my cds original cases than I would have a stack of over 360 cd cases lying around the house which would take up way to much room. So if I were to take pictures of my collection it would have to be an individual picture for each page inside my case logic cd cases.

:blink: Sacrilegious

:blink: Sacrilegious

I absolutely love my music with all of my heart, but I dont know if I would go as far as saying it is sacred. I dont beleive that anything made by man is sacred. And I also disagree with you saying that what I am doing is sacrilegious, just by cutting out some of the covers of my cds so that they can fit into my case. I dont create a religion out of psytrance or worship it like some do (not refering to you, just in general). And even though all of my cds are permanently in a case together, they are all in very good condition, with many being in mint condition.

;) yup! enjoy! :D

you must be pretty famous to have such a an address (just a nick no surname ehe)

I'm a superstar :P

I absolutely love my music with all of my heart, but I dont know if I would go as far as saying it is sacred. I dont beleive that anything made by man is sacred. And I also disagree with you saying that what I am doing is sacrilegious, just by cutting out some of the covers of my cds so that they can fit into my case. I dont create a religion out of psytrance or worship it like some do (not refering to you, just in general). And even though all of my cds are permanently in a case together, they are all in very good condition, with many being in mint condition.

It's the music that counts unless you are a collector. I personally couldn't cut up my digipaks but it would be quite convenient to have all my CDs in a small space.

I'm a superstar :P

It's the music that counts unless you are a collector. I personally couldn't cut up my digipaks but it would be quite convenient to have all my CDs in a small space.

Thats a good point, I never thought about it that way. Alot of people just collect psytrance. I on the other hand buy my music for one reason and for one reason only, to listen to and enjoy with friends. Alot of people buy psytrance, just to keep in the case with hopes of one day selling it and making a profit. Which there is nothing wrong with that as long as the money goes back into the music or scene again. I respect peoples choice to keep ther music in the original packaging for what ever reason, I guess when I buy music I never have any intentions of selling or trading. B)

we have a winner ;p wow man! I dont even have that much freespace in my room if you were to dump 'em all on me ;O

question also..that white Toi Doi album with black logo..is that his last album which released? Only one from him I dont have yet. looks different on webshops.

Guest antic

Thats a good point, I never thought about it that way. Alot of people just collect psytrance. I on the other hand buy my music for one reason and for one reason only, to listen to and enjoy with friends. Alot of people buy psytrance, just to keep in the case with hopes of one day selling it and making a profit. Which there is nothing wrong with that as long as the money goes back into the music or scene again. I respect peoples choice to keep ther music in the original packaging for what ever reason, I guess when I buy music I never have any intentions of selling or trading. B)

That's a bit of simplication, isn't it?

I mean I know few people who buy cheap to sell for a good price (eBay & discogs.com sellers do that quite often), but I guess 99% of us on this board do it for the love of music. Of course, it happened to me that I bought some rare CD when I had the chance to sell or trade it, but it occurred only in a situation I already had the said CD. Besides, with today's prices for old CDs I can't imagine myself cutting up a cover of Technossomy's Synthetic Flesh (for which I paid 50GBP) to fit it into a plastic bag!!! My heart would broke ;)

I'm sure I won't be selling my collection in foreseeable future, unless something catastrophic happens in my life.

:)

That's a bit of simplication, isn't it?

I mean I know few people who buy cheap to sell for a good price (eBay & discogs.com sellers do that quite often), but I guess 99% of us on this board do it for the love of music. Of course, it happened to me that I bought some rare CD when I had the chance to sell or trade it, but it occurred only in a situation I already had the said CD. Besides, with today's prices for old CDs I can't imagine myself cutting up a cover of Technossomy's Synthetic Flesh (for which I paid 50GBP) to fit it into a plastic bag!!! My heart would broke ;)

I'm sure I won't be selling my collection in foreseeable future, unless something catastrophic happens in my life.

:)

I didnt say the that they buy cheap. I stated that they purchased music at the normal price at the time it was released, and in time they make a profit, due to the fact that as music gets older it becomes very rare and more people are after it. Especially when music goes out of print. People will always be willing to pay more for older, less common music. (even myself). Besides 95% of my music never required me to cut anything because most cds come with a standard size insert that will fit into any disk case. I would say that maybe 10 out of my 360+ cds were cut in order to fit into the case. And trust me the bare minimum was cut off. Some cds have the art and info on the actual case when you buy it, when those cds also come with a separate booklet inside, I do save those, and I dont have to cut anyting out. But for a normal cd case, after you remove the disk and booklet inside it is nothing more than an ordinary cd case with a track list on the back. If the tracklist is not included in the booklet insert than I will take the track names from the back. After that I will trash the case. Whats the point in keeping 360+ cd cases. Plus im not putting my cds in a plastic bag, Im storing them in a $50 leather disk case that holds 400 cds. Ill bet they will suvive longer than a cd left in its origianl case. Unless you never removed the plastic from the outside and it is still new. Over time, the original cd cases begin to chip away in the middle near the center of the disk, producing several scratches. And Im not pointing out the people who save the original cases, and still open their music and listen to it. Im talking about people who buy music and never even open it. That is an intent to save and sell later in my opinion.(unless they are holding it for a friend,or a trade or something). Anyways to each his own on this subject. If people want to buy music and never open it and collect it like its a baseball card, then so be it. I just feel if you already have a piece of music and you buy another copy just to have one in mint condition or for a backup it is in a way hoarding. What if someone else wanted a copy and you took the last one? Or you can look at it in another way, what if someone would have never bought it and it sat on the shelf forever until you decided to buy another copy. That would be a good thing because you bought it and your money went back into the music once again. B)

I look at the packaging of CDs - jewel case and especially digipaks - like LPs used to be. They're artistic presentations of the music inside them and shouldn't be separated. To separate them would mean doing a disservice to the artists who put together the concept that would go along with the music.

But it's interesting how these days music really is being separated from its presentation, especially when it comes to mp3s. It's a very different experience to listen to music without artwork in your hand to guide you through that process and that ritual. But times change, I admit. I have to make the assumption that someone who cuts up the presentation of the music is someone who is from the mp3 generation as opposed to the LP generation. And there's nothing at all wrong with that. Just a different mindset.

I look at the packaging of CDs - jewel case and especially digipaks - like LPs used to be. They're artistic presentations of the music inside them and shouldn't be separated. To separate them would mean doing a disservice to the artists who put together the concept that would go along with the music.

But it's interesting how these days music really is being separated from its presentation, especially when it comes to mp3s. It's a very different experience to listen to music without artwork in your hand to guide you through that process and that ritual. But times change, I admit. I have to make the assumption that someone who cuts up the presentation of the music is someone who is from the mp3 generation as opposed to the LP generation. And there's nothing at all wrong with that. Just a different mindset.

What are you talking about? I never said that I separated the art work from the music. I said that I separate the music and the art work from the original case they came with. And you can say whatever you want about my generation or mp3s., but every cd that I buy goes directly to my ipod. Im sorry, but Im not carrying the cd and its album art with me and a cd player when im walking to work or on the train in Japan. It would be to much of a hassle to drag it all out every day. An ipod is much more convenient and my cds are used at home or when I go to the beach or a park with friends. Dont assume that you know someones mind set that you have never met before. B)

What are you talking about? I never said that I separated the art work from the music. I said that I separate the music and the art work from the original case they came with. And you can say whatever you want about my generation or mp3s., but every cd that I buy goes directly to my ipod. Im sorry, but Im not carrying the cd and its album art with me and a cd player when im walking to work or on the train in Japan. It would be to much of a hassle to drag it all out every day. An ipod is much more convenient and my cds are used at home or when I go to the beach or a park with friends. Dont assume that you know someones mind set that you have never met before. B)

It seems to me by looking at everyones pictures of their music collections, that everybody keeps the actual album cases that the cd originally came in. I take out the cd and booklet and discard the actual cd album plastic case. If it is a cd where the booklet is actually part of the album case, I will cut the front cover and tracklisting on the back out and throw away the remains. If it is the rare occasion that the booklet is part of the albums casing and it also has another booklet insert inside, then I will keep the cds original album case. If I kept every one of my cds original cases than I would have a stack of over 360 cd cases lying around the house which would take up way to much room. So if I were to take pictures of my collection it would have to be an individual picture for each page inside my case logic cd cases.

Maybe I misinterpreted?

oh yeah, nice cd player! ;D I have the same Blue Room sticker on mine as well. I got it off ebay a long time ago and the same guy still sells them. I have another of the same & a different bigger Blue Room sticker I haven't yet decided what to put it on. My cd player is a Sony Psyc and one day did some artwork on it and colored in the indented PSY part. 8)

Well once my cd collection gets big enough I'll be forced to transfer the jewel cases into caselogics/cd holders. I wouldn't seperate them, I know Slappa does cases that hold both the artwork and cd - cd in the back pocket, artwork in the front. I also wouldn't discard the digipack cases, I'd probably keep the releases in there.

I have a LOT more jewel cases than digipacks, I might take some piccies this afternoon. :)

No, I stand by my comment. SA CRI LE GIOUS -_-

Well once my cd collection gets big enough I'll be forced to transfer the jewel cases into caselogics/cd holders. I wouldn't seperate them, I know Slappa does cases that hold both the artwork and cd - cd in the back pocket, artwork in the front. I also wouldn't discard the digipack cases, I'd probably keep the releases in there.

I have a LOT more jewel cases than digipacks, I might take some piccies this afternoon. :)

When my CD collection becomes too big, something else is making way. Probably all those shite videos can make way ;)

When my CD collection becomes too big, something else is making way. Probably all those shite videos can make way ;)

Well if all the releases were digipacks it would be a different story.

ot: Abasio I added you to my msn, could have a chat about releases? :)

Well if all the releases were digipacks it would be a different story.

ot: Abasio I added you to my msn, could have a chat about releases? :)

So you are Ben?

Hahaha, I got that but didn't know who it was :lol:

*added*