IFO

Cinos

Now. I have to put this in a way so that you won't think I'm just trying to irritate you...

I just got IFO. Not a CD copy, mind you, and that I'm very happy about. I put it on, pushed play, and WTF. Every track is very bland, noisy and "random". Could somebody explain this? Everybody speaks heaven and gold about this album, and I just don't get it.

Damn, I feel lonely. :(

And you should feel lonely then...I have no other comments except to find new ears and remove these ones. I won't put any smiley here...You are way to negative Cinos, not only from this thread but in general...

Maybe you mean the production is not top notch quality, especially the kick drum line, compared to today's standard in the field.

Well, until this week-end (!!) I thought (like you seem to) this was a drawback for IFO. But in the meantime I bought and listened to Sky Input by Filteria, emulating Pleiadians in many ways, plus adding the current high standard production (thanks to Tim Schuldt if I'm not mistaking).

And guess what : I realized the rough sound of IFO was in fact a great assset ! Clean, flawless production is nice, but sometimes it verges on boredom though.

Bring the noise back ! :P

J.

I’m a bit with you on this one. Yes, it’s a very very nice album, but I also think it sounds quite dated today (but a lot the releases from that time do).

I suggest you try to pick up “Family Of Light” as well. Much more up-to-date production, and with a bit more laidback approach compared to the sometimes over the top melodies of “IFO”. “Family Of Light” is probably one of my top5 alltime psychedelic albums.

Back in the day I never really liked Etnica and related projects. It took a little while to tune into those frequencies. That being said, IFO does indeed have some sucky production. I have the 2LP vinyl cut which is even muddier. Still, some great songs with crazy melodies... give it a few more spins!

Guest The Journey Man Project

Hey pople, yeah I was right into the scene back then 1996/97 and have t say that these guys never did aything butbad trips for me... never understood why people thought they were so good, much beter classix out there, save you dollars fo others like Indoor

@Journey Man : Could you tell me exactly when did they give you bad trips ? I can smell BS from your immature sentence and since you're only bashing the group I cannot even take you seriously...

@Cinos : This album sounds BLAND ? Do you even understand the basic terminology or you just wanted to sound clever ? Blah ! This world is full of 'wise' cretenous people. You can be clever with your mom, but not here, on GLOBAL Trance site where THIS ALBUM is considered as ONE OF THE BETTER ALBUMS ever and you only heard it yesterday...What kind of trancer you are where you heard THIS album just yesterday after all of us SUGGESTED you to hear it ? I can understand the taste but you actually ASKED us to EXPLAIN to you why are the tracks so bland, noisy and random, where 95 % of us DON'T EVEN FIND THEM BAD as you presented. What looney brain you've got !

Well, I must say that I was always a bigger fan of Etnica - Alien Protein and that stuff rather than Pleiadians. Etnica WAS more niceley produced, was more thought through, and more intelligent music.

I cant imagine that anyone would say that Pleiadians is crap though, because its quality music, its part of the history for me

By the way, anyone have the Etnica & Dj Cosmix on Matsuri?! THAT is also a killer! :) I guard that EP with my whole heart, I have made the dancefloor rock with it so many times (last time 2 years ago).

@Cinos : This album sounds BLAND ? Do you even understand the basic terminology or you just wanted to sound clever ? Blah ! This world is full of 'wise' cretenous people. You can be clever with your mom, but not here, on GLOBAL Trance site where THIS ALBUM is considered as ONE OF THE BETTER ALBUMS ever and you only heard it yesterday...What kind of trancer you are where you heard THIS album just yesterday after all of us SUGGESTED you to hear it ? I can understand the taste but you actually ASKED us to EXPLAIN to you why are the tracks so bland, noisy and random, where 95 % of us DON'T EVEN FIND THEM BAD as you presented. What looney brain you've got !

204788[/snapback]

I've been busy discovering other classics. Like Feeling Weird (it grew on my very quick, hyperspaced is so damn good), Let's Turn On (so wild and throbbing!) and Beyond The Infinite, which doesn't need any words.

Not everybody likes this album or thinks it's the best ever. Read the posts in this thread. And apparently I'm one of them.

I cant imagine that anyone would say that Pleiadians is crap though, because its quality music, its part of the history for me

204792[/snapback]

I didn't say it's crap, exactly, I said it's bland and noisy. Watered down. Sure, there may be quality, but not the kind of quality I've been after.

I'll give it a few more listens though.

I didn't say it's crap, exactly, I said it's bland and noisy. Watered down. Sure, there may be quality, but not the kind of quality I've been after.

I'll give it a few more listens though.

204794[/snapback]

fair enough. :)

first of all cinos if u don't want i definately want to buy it. ;)

pleiadians was the most technical and energetic group for me as far as goa trance is concerned.this cd,believe me,i guess it will grow on you.

it is one of those masterpieces that hits the basic patterns of your mind.

tracks like maia,electra and alcyone are one of a kind and it's difficult that anyone will ever deliver anything that intelligent,energetic and beautiful and...and... :)

pleiadians...just beautiful beautiful music! The "randomness" is what makes this CD just so damn good! If there would be some very easy-listening melodies in this it'd probably be out-dated sounding then. I mean, at least to me this stuff kicks very hard unlike something like Etnica, with carefully thought but still perhaps too clear melodies (NOT all Etnica :) of course...more like "TJAUTBL" stylish stuff I mean) ... but that's just me! :) If somebody doesn't like this IT'S PERFECTLY FINE.

@Seraph: why are you so rude? Who do you think you are acting like you talk for everybody on this site?! If he doesn't like it it's his right to do so. He didn't call anyone stupid because they like IFO, while you did call him almost like that because he doesn't!

@Cinos: You really should listen to it more, because it is good. IMO it's not the best album of goa-trance, because of the low production and somewhat too euphoric melodies for my taste (I like it more subtle and psychedelic). But it is one of the most important albums in this genre, just like old Astral Projection (didn't like it), Cosmosis, Doof, Infinity Project, Hallucinogen, Koxbox or X-Dream ( I loooove those) :)

well, this conversation has become a very hard one. i guess if someone dont like IFO is ok, is nothing from another world... i think thats a part of nature. in fact i understand, because the first time i listen to pleiadians i thought the same thing... that was too noisey, that was random.. very difficult to catch the tracks... but i recommend more listens.... this things work like that. :D .. pleiadians is not for everybody.

After listening to Hallucinogen-Lone Deranger for about...100 times i finally understood the story.in my way of course.but when i first listened to it i really couldnt say anything...i wont stop listening to this album.maybe ill discover more.its so deep and i love it.And a few days ago i listened to Modulation track from Pleiadians on shrooms.and i was really crazy.i thought i never gave the attention needed.and imo thats how it works.Attention please to these deep masterpieces.

I just got IFO. Not a CD copy, mind you, and that I'm very happy about. I put it on, pushed play, and WTF. Every track is very bland, noisy and "random". Could somebody explain this? Everybody speaks heaven and gold about this album, and I just don't get it.

204746[/snapback]

Holy shit this thread filled up fast! Its like someone mentions the word "Pleiadians" and others stop from taking a shit just to see what its all about, ;) heh

Cinos, I hope you didn't hear this album for the first time and already drew conclusions by posting before hearing it more than once or letting some time go by before hearing it again. I.F.O. was released almost 8 years ago man! Its a classic for many reasons but you heard it how many times did you hear it? This stuff isn't easy to just jump into, and "get" just like that. Well it is for some people but for others.

No first listen ever fully establishes itself unless you never hear it again. A person needs time for it to sink in. "Random" is not a good word to describe this album. Words like intricate, abstract, ambitious and melodic is more like it... just to name a few. There is so much rhythm and imagination within the tracks, it may be too much to appreciate or mentally organize or understand on the first or second or even third listen!, but I hope it wouldn't take too long, unless you're not familiar with this music or music this layered and detailed. Pleiadians is sophisticated music. It has a very steep listening curve for some people, just like the learning curve on a at-first difficult video game.

It seems that most people into goa and psytrance really like I.F.O.. But like with all albums, at least several people will never "get" or care for it. And you might turn out to like it more or less as time goes by. But realistically, I'm sure that there are several people who don't care for Hallucinogen. Is this hard to believe? No. You see, no one can deny without being dishonest, biased or unaware, that both Hallucinogen and Pleiadians have extremely unique, creative, and distinct styles & artists. If you don't see that, you have missed something or need to change your perspective, how your looking at it instead of focusing on how unimpressed you feel toward it. Regardless, if you do see the insanely masterful, creative inventiveness, that doesn't mean you have to like it. You may turn out to like it if you're into psy-trance with lots of layers... or not.

The fact is that Pleadians, like AP's earlier work, and Hallucinogen, and several others... have always been very different from all goa and psytrance artists before, and if you know a thing or two about mixing, tons of work (Hundreds and hundreds of hours -- literally I believe) has gone into finishing the I.F.O. album, but that doesn't warrant it to be liked by everyone. Nothing in its time [style-wise] sounded like I.F.O, and just think about it... the build up into the fast psychedelic melodies; the thick, twisting, wave-braiding layers of sounds upon sounds, melodies on melodies, the rhythm! Fucking awesome if you "got" it. I think Asterope is one of the tracks with over 30 or 40 layers combined, going all at once during several times, but I'm not sure right now if thats the track I'm thinking of. The only track I never cared for on this album is Celeano. It was decent to me, nothing great, even boring on the first couple listens, but later I came to appreciate it more for being so soft and subtle after such an intense and intricate album.

Anyway, those who heard this album close to when it first came out got the biggest impression because they didn't have half as much to compare it to as we have today. They got THE first impression and many realized that it was absolutely groundbreaking!, (At least, the style I believe was)

What if you saw the first Starwars movie in 1997 AFTER you saw the original Matrix movie in 1999? I bet your impression of the visuals and Special FX would seem dated when comparing it to Star Wars, had you seen Star Wars after The Matrix...

Maybe those two don't make up the best analogy, but I think it helps make one of my points. Just think about it. The original Star Wars movie did so much for its time, but gradually became dated of course, yet it will always be considered and remembered as a classic, one of the greatest films of all time for its creative and visual achievements. I for one, don't feel that the first or second Pleiadians album sounds dated, (Because I'm focusing on the inventive style which I believe no one has improved upon since) but the production during its time, maybe could have sounded more crisp and precise, had that same album come out now or even spent more time in its "mastering" stage than, but it didn't. Times change and production equiptment and potential improves. Star Wars and Pleiadians are both classics because of time and what they achieved in their time.

If I myself, did not see the light in I.F.O. like many of you crazy people, I wouldn't waste my time writing all of this, ya know? But look Cinos, I think you saw a bunch of great reviews and posts, and you were probably expecting something amazing or at least you were hoping to be impressed. In short, you were disappointed. However, maybe you'll just never like this style, which is fine, but its too soon to tell right now I think. Maybe it will grow on you in time, as its grown on many others. But if one album took YEARS to grow on me, it was Pleiadians - Family Of Light. Christ, I hated that album when I first heard it! Just read my several review posts under my same name on this same website for the Goa Reviews of Family Of Light! Holy shit I HATED everything about that album ACCEPT for HEADSPIN, which is a masterpiece all by itself!

Another album reminded me of your high expectations on I.F.O... I had super high expectations on an album I finally obtained, called Cosmosis - Synergy. Let me start off by saying that that album ROCK!. Although I didn't find it great, I can tell that it is great for its time. While listening to it, I found several tracks really good, but overall nothing amazing or even excellent. However, I could tell how good it was. I mean, sure I've heard stuff I considered better over the years, so going back 7 years is a little hard... I'll never see it the way some of you did when it first came out. :( Nevertheless, its a super-cool album and I'm proud to have it in my collection. I was expecting something more, but while listening to it, I realized that I was expecting too much and I simply went with it. When music is solid, unique, innovative, or good, you sometimes just know it, even if its just a style. Some people don't care for every style, and Pleadians certaintly has a style that no one came remotely close to for almost 8 years until, apparently from what I've read... the new artist Filteria did something inspired or by the I.F.O. style but I haven't heard that Filteria album yet so I can't comment. My point is that I hope you see and appreciate it for what it is, whether its your type of goa / psytrance or not. And make sure you listen to it on GOOD headphones or a great system, not some crumby disc man or boom box or sterio. For the record, sound quality is essential with this music which is why I hate to think of downloading it.

Anyway, if you don't like it, you don't like it. Family of Light is a totally different style so maybe you'd like that more or less and hopefully I.F.O. will grow on you. At least I don't think you'll ever have a problem selling it if you bought the actual album and don't want it. In the real world, not everyone likes everything. That is cool. And I for one believe that I.F.O. is something very special, and some of you people out there know what I'm talking about. But like with anything, perspectives and impressions are bound to differ.

For the record, sound quality is essential with this music which is why I hate to think of downloading it.

205016[/snapback]

I wonder if you could actually pass a blind test to differentiate between high quality mp3 and CD audio. I agree that a good sound system is important, because it actually makes a huge difference, but the difference between good quality mp3 and CD is minimal. And then you can always do what I do and download flacs (lossless audio codec) instead of mp3s.

first i should say IFO is by far my all time fav goa album.

I can completely see how if your into new stuff though you might not like it at first.

Surely give it a few listens before discarding it. I would namely listen to maia and electra until/if you get into the album.

Nothing in psy/goa is close for me to when the the last longer pad melody comes in on maia after building for the whole track or on electra about a third of the way through when the one synth melody finishes its line with everything else dropped out then the most storming goa ever made comes back in.